[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #196

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (06/04/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Mon, 3 Jun 85 16:23:47 EDT    Volume 4 : Issue 196

Today's Topics:
                  Re: Be the first on YOUR block...
                        TELECOM Digest V4 #195
                         Telecom at MIT-MC*70
                           Microcom SX/2400
                            Microcom SX/2400
                      telephone standard source
                      Cellular Roaming Problems.

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 85 10:01:05 est
From: davy@purdue-ecn.ARPA (Dave Curry)
To: telecom@bbncca.arpa
Subject: Re: Be the first on YOUR block...

I haven't seen the television commercial, but around here (Indiana)
they have been running radio commercials with Mike Douglas of all
people hawking this stuff. Something about "for ONLY $5000 (!) we will
help you fill out the forms for much less than it would normally cost"
..... "get in on this potentially lucrative money opportunity"...

I just want to know (1) why it would cost me ANYTHING to fill out
the forms myself, and (2) what does Mike Douglas have to do with
it?

--Dave Curry
davy@purdue-ecn.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Sat,  1 Jun 85 15:00:56 EST
From: "Marvin A. Sirbu, Jr." <SIRBU@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: TELECOM Digest V4 #195
To: TELECOM@BBNCCA.ARPA

In order for 800 number calls to be routed over the carrier of the
RECIPIENT's choice (since the recipient is paying for the call) one
needs to have implemented common channel signaling in all the BOCs.
Unfortunatley, at the time of divestitute only AT&T Long Lines had
common channel signalling, so only AT&T can carry 800 number calls.  The
BOCs are hard at work on implementing their own CCS, but it will take
till 86-87 at least.

Marvin Sirbu

------------------------------

Date:  Sun, 2 Jun 85 00:14 EDT
From:  Frankston@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
To:  Telecom@BBNCCA.ARPA

Subject:  Telecom at MIT-MC*70

I noticed that *70 on the new DMS-100 exchange here gives a double beep,
but on the older ESS in Wellesley (next town over), it gives a fast
busy.  The operator and repair people don't know anything about it.

I suspect that NET got some new software that they don't know about.
What other goodies might I find in a brand new DMS-100?  (well, new as
of last December at least).

fancier cordless phones have a flash button to allow for switchhook
functions.

------------------------------

Date: 6 May 85 05:38:25 GMT
From: dlw%ucbtopaz.CC@Berkeley
Subject: Microcom SX/2400

I have just used a pair of Microcom "error correcting" 2400 baud async
dialup modems for a week and I'm hooked. The MNP protocol seems to
take care of all the line interference we have here, and the speed is
addictive.  There are odd pauses even at times when the line is clean
(errors are noted by the TST light flashing) but this anomaly is far
less annoying than the constant garbage I was getting with 212a
modems. (The interference was so bad and so consistent with 212 that I
set my flow control chars to DEL and { just so I could work.) I did
attempt to verify the salesperson's claim that "even without error
correction, the 2400 baud modulation technique is less sensitive to
line interference than 212a." I found this to be not so. With error
correction turned off, the SX/2400 was at least as sensitive to our
local interference. Furthermore the resulting garbage was much less
uniform than my 212a and thus my trick (above) was useless making the
situation totally intolerable.

I understand that Microcom has licensed the MNP protocol to other
manufacturers (Codex, Racal-Vadic, ...) so that we'll have a choice,
competition, etc. My congratulations to them for that! Also, public
networks such as Tymnet, Telenet, & Uninet offer MNP on their 2400
baud access indicating they think it'll catch on.

I'm convinced. "Don't leave $home without it." Any other views?

	David Wasley
	U C Berkeley
	...!ucbvax!dlw

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 9 May 1985  07:17-MDT
From: Sid Stuart <cmcl2!philabs!linus!sid@Seismo>

	You didn't mention that with the Microcoms internal buffering,
the speed of the modem line and the speed of the rs-232 line are
independent.  I set my terminal up for 2400 baud on the serial port
and I don't have to change it even when I call into a 1200 baud line
and the modem autbauds... nice.  One complaint I do have, though I
don't know how much of a concern it is: When the modem is set to 2400
on the computer and a user dials in at 1200, it shifts to a citt
standard for 1200 baud, and not bell 212. I haven't tested this with a
bell 212 modem yet, so I don't know how much it affects the
transmission quality.

						sid

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 85 11:10:06 EDT
From: Ken J Lebowitz <kjl@BBN-KIWI.ARPA>
Subject: telephone standard source
To: telecom@bbncca.arpa

I'm interested in finding a source that describes what types of telephone
equiptment work can be used in different countries around the world.  In
particular, I am interested in what standards a phone must meet in order to
operate correctly in Israel.  I believe that their system was originally
installed by the French so they may use the same standards.

Thanks,

Ken Lebowitz
BBN Labs

ARPA:	kjl@bbn-clxx.arpa
CSNET:	kjl%bbn-clxx@csnet-relay
UUCP:	...!{decvax,ihnp4}!bbncca!kjl

------------------------------

Date: 21 May 1985 15:59-PDT
Subject: Cellular Roaming Problems.
From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
To: telecom@BBNCCA

				Before the
		   FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
			Washington, D. C. 20554

In re 				 )
				 )
NEW ORLEANS CGSA, INC. 		 ) File No. 27012-CL-C-84
				 )
Licensee of Domestic Cellular    )
Radio Telecommunications Service )
Station KNKA224, at New Orleans, )
Louisiana			 )

To: Chief, Common Carrier Bureau

		EMERGENCY PETITION FOR IMMEDIATE
	      RELIEF FROM LICENSEE RULE VIOLATION
	   IN REFUSING TO PROVIDE SERVICE TO ROAMERS

	Geoffrey S. Goodfellow and Dwight F. Hare, by their attorneys,
hereby petition for immediate emergency relief from New Orleans CGSA,
Inc.'s willful violation of Section 22.911(b) of the Commission's
Rules. 47 C.F.R. 22.911(b). In support hereof, the following is
respectfully shown:

			Introduction
			------------

	Petitioners seek by virtue of this action immediate relief
from New Orleans CGSA's willful refusal to provide them with roamer
service on the cellular radio facilities of Station KNKA224 at New
Orleans, Louisiana, in violation of Section 22.911(b) of the Rules,
and contrary to the representation in New Orleans CGSA's application
for a construction permit that roamer service would be provided.

	Geoffrey S. Goodfellow is a computer security and networking
consultant in the Computer Science Laboratory at SRI International
Menlo Park, California. Mr. Goodfellow is a properly licensed
subscriber of the Cellular One cellular system in Washington, D.C. His
assigned cellular number is 202-288-6953. Dwight F. Hare is the
Manager of Research Operations for the Computer Science Laboratory at
SRI International, Menlo Park, California. Mr. Hare is a properly
licensed subscriber of the GTE Mobilnet cellular system in San
Francisco, California. His assigned cellular number is 415-385-3130.

	Both Mr. Goodfellow and Mr. Hare must be in New Orleans,
Louisiana on business for SRI International from May 25, 1985 to May
31, 1985, and require cellular radio service to properly discharge
their duties for their employer.

	During the week of May 13, 1985 Mr. Goodfellow contacted
BellSouth Mobility, Inc. (parent corporation of New Orleans CGSA,
Inc.) in Atlanta, Georgia (Tel No. 800-438-2430) in order to arrange
for roamer service on the New Orleans cellular system for himself and
Mr. Hare. He was informed by a customer service representative for
BellSouth Mobility that roamer service was not available on the New
Orleans cellular system.  Mr. Goodfellow stated that he believed that
New Orleans CGSA was obligated to provide roamer service, and his call
was then passed on to Mr.Tony Walker of BellSouth Mobility.
Mr.Goodfellow again requested roamer service on the New Orleans
system.  He was informed by Mr. Walker that New Orleans CGSA did not
offer roamer service. Mr. Walker stated that the reason such service
was not provided was because New Orleans CGSA's tariff, on file with
the Louisiana Public Service Commission, did not contain any
provisions for roamer service. Mr. Walker was able to offer Mr.
Goodfellow no date upon which roamer service would be made available
to the public on the New Orleans CGSA cellular system. Mr. Walker
offered to provide Mr. Goodfellow and Mr. Hare local subscriber
service for a minimum of one month, but stated that the provision of
such service would require the reprograming of their portable cellular
units.

		New Orleans CGSA Has Willfully Violated the
			    Commissions Rules
			    -----------------

	BellSouth Mobility's and New Orleans CGSA's absolute refusal
to provide roamer service to Mr. Goodfellow or Mr. Hare is a willful
violation of Section 22.911(b) of the Rules, and of the representation
contained in the licensee's cellular application that its cellular
system had been "designed with the capability of providing roaming
cellular radio users the ability to place and receive calls." (Exhibit
17 of Application, Attachment 1 hereto).

	Section 911(b) of the Rules provides under the heading
"Permissible Communications" that:

	(b) Base stations in this service are authorized to
	communicate with associate subscribers; base stations MUST
	also render service to properly licensed roamers. (emphasis
	added).

	The operative language of the rule with regard to roamer
service is that it "must" be provided. This language is a mandatory
direction and vests no discretion with the licensee.  Both
Mr. Goodfellow and Mr. Hare are properly licensed subscribers of their
home cellular carriers, as described above.  Accordingly, New Orleans
CGSA's failure to provide requested roamer service for them while they
are in New Orleans must be considered nothing less than a willful
failure to obey the dictates of the Commission's Rules.

	Moreover, New Orleans CGSA represented in its application for
a cellular construction permit at Exhibit No. 17, page 1, that its
cellular system had been designed with the capability of providing
roamer service to the public, as noted above. The Commission granted
New Orleans CGSA a construction permit on the strength of this
representation, among others. The licensee's willful failure to
provide roamer service therefore makes a mockery not only of the
Commission Rules, but also of the application and licensing procedures
employed by the Commission.

	The Commission should take immediate and definite steps to
force New Orleans CGSA to comply with Section 22.911(b) of the Rules.
The licensee's offer to provide petitioners with a minimum full month
of regular local subscriber service - which would require reprograming
their cellular units - does not meet the requirements of Section
22.911(b) of the Rules. It is respectfully requested that the
Commission promptly issue an order to New Orleans CGSA directing the
carrier to immediately make provision for the rendition of roamer
service to Mr. Goodfellow and Mr. Hare during the week of May 25,
1985.

	WHEREFORE the premises considered, it is requested that
the Commission grant this emergency petition and order immediate relief
from New Orleans CGSA's violation of the Commission's Rules.

					Respectfully submitted,

					GEOFFREY S. GOODFELLOW
					DWIGHT F. HARE

					by Arthur Blooston ____________

					   John H. Myers   ____________
					their Attorneys

Blooston and Mordkofsky
2120 L Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20037
Tel. (202) 659-0830

Dated: May 17, 1985

			Attachment 1			 FCC FORM 401
							 EXHIBIT NO. 17
							 PAGE 1 OF 1
							      -    -

		Advanced Mobile Phone Service, Inc.
	Domestic Public Cellular Radio Telecommunications Service
		New Cellular System, New Orleans, Louisiana
				Location J

Response to FCC Rule Section 22.913(a)(7): Service Proposals for local
within the 39 dBu service contour of the initial system serving the New
Orleans metropolitan area.

The cellular radio system established in the New Orleans metropolitan
area will provide subscribers with the ability to place and receive
calls within the defined CGSA on a 24 hours per day, 7 days per week
basis.

Roamers
-------

Cellular radio systems have been designed with the capability of
providing roaming cellular radio service users the ability to place and
receive calls.

Complaint Process

All complaints will be acknowledged, investigated and resolved
expeditiously by the Corporation.

End of TELECOM Digest