[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #198

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (06/11/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Mon, 10 Jun 85 15:48:33 EDT    Volume 4 : Issue 198

Today's Topics:
                   Pacific Bell (unlocked B-boxes)
                       Who handles card calls?

Date: Sun, 9-Jun-85 15:51:21 PDT
From: vortex!lauren@rand-unix (Lauren Weinstein)
Subject: Pacific Bell (unlocked B-boxes)
To: TELECOM@MC.ARPA

One thing I've noticed PacBell doing lately that really irks
me is leaving B-boxes (local loop distribution boxes) unlocked!
More and more I'm seeing the new style (wide and low) boxes which
are bolted closed but without a lock in the hasp.  I don't much
care for the concept that any jerk with the right wrench could
come along and fiddle around in there.  I saw one in Hollywood
that wasn't even bolted closed--it was sitting there with one
door swung open and no telco people in the vicinity.
How about some security on the outside plant, Pacific?

--Lauren--

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jun 85 12:39:30 EDT
From: *Hobbit* <AWalker@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: Who handles card calls?
To: telecom@RUTGERS.ARPA

It's been my experience that when I call very locally using my card, I
go through an awful lot of switching to get there.  I'm talking tandems.
Sometimes I'm lucky enough to get a non-CCIS one, and hear all the MF
routing.  I suspect that what's happening is that the call is passed to
some AT&T office that would handle inter-LATA calls, which gives me the
MCCS tone and accepts the card number, and then routes the call back
into the LATA for completion.

Now, if the AT&T switch, the destination, and I all happen to be in the
same LATA, and AT&T completes the call, is this in violation of something
because AT&T is completing an intra-LATA call???

_H*
-------

End of TELECOM Digest