[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #199

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (06/12/85)

From: Jon Solomon (the Moderator) <Telecom-Request@BBNCCA>

TELECOM Digest     Tue, 11 Jun 85 17:07:48 EDT    Volume 4 : Issue 199

Today's Topics:
                      Electronic Vaults' UPTA 96
                 Cellular phones and confidentiality
               Re: Cellular phones and confidentiality

Date: 11 Jun 1985 00:47:45 PDT
Subject: Electronic Vaults' UPTA 96
From: Eliot Moore <SWG.ELMO@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
To: telecom@BBNCCV.ARPA

Communications Week of June 10 fields an article concerning a
"Hayes-compatible" half-duplex (buffered for pseudo-full-duplex, i presume)
9600bps error-correcting async dialup modem, available as an internal
card for the ibmpc at $795 or standalone for $895.

This type of product at this price is long overdue, much as Microcom's
error-correcting 212's were.

Given the inevitability of V.32 modems on the market in 1985, is
anyone going to buy these things?

Regards,
Elmo
-------

------------------------------

From: "Bob Parnass, AJ9S" <parnass%ihu1h.uucp@BRL.ARPA>
Subject: Cellular phones and confidentiality
Date: 9 Jun 85 03:20:35 GMT
To:       info-hams@simtel20.ARPA

George Chao, a cellular	phone user, provided  this  article,
published  in  the May 1985 'Ameritech Connection' by Ameri-
tech Mobile Communications, Inc.  for its Chicago/Gary	area
cellular telephone users:

	   Confidentiality Could Be A Three-Way	Street

     "One of the differences between  cellular	service	 and
     conventional  mobile  telephones  is  that	 cellular is
     'private-like.' Each side of every	 cellular  conversa-
     tion  is  assigned	its own	private	radio channel by our
     computerized system, so there  is	no  operator  to  go
     through and there are no party lines to share."

     "However, in the last six months,	sophisticated  elec-
     tronic scanners able to monitor cellular radio frequen-
     cies have become available, and Ameritech	Mobile	cau-
     tions  you	about conversations of a highly	confidential
     nature held over your mobile telephone."

     "Scanners are only	able to	lock onto one channel  at  a
     time and can not simulate our computerized	network.  In
     fact, they	can ONLY detect	one  side  of  the  cellular
     conversation  and	ONLY  for  a  brief  period of time.
     That's because our	 computer  routinely  switches	your
     call  from	one channel to another to keep the transmis-
     sion quality of your conversation at a  high  level  as
     you drive through the cellular service area."

     "While scanners are expensive and not routinely used by
     the   general   public,   be   careful   in  discussing
     proprietary or very personal  issues  when	 using	your
     mobile  telephone.	  Remember  the	 airwaves are public
     property."

Bob Parnass,  Bell Telephone Laboratories - ihnp4!ihu1h!parnass - (312)979-5414

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jun 1985 09:52-PDT
Subject: Re: Cellular phones and confidentiality
From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
To: parnass%ihu1h.uucp@BRL
Cc: info-hams@SIMTEL20, telecom@BBNCCA

well, it's good to see that yet another regional arm of The
Telephone Company is still very well versed in NewsSpeak!

People have been able to hear both sides of the conversation by
monitoring the land-to-mobile frequency, do to the talk-back that
exists.

It doesn't take "sophisticated electronic(!)" scanners or any
high technological acts of chicanery as i'm sure the readership
of both info-hams and telecom are aware.  What with the stories
emanating out of chicago and other areas with people tuning into
cellular phone conversations thru the varactors on their VCRs or
TV sets.

"ONLY for a brief period of time" (my ass).  People have been
know to hold very long stationary conversations in which you're
not a candidate for hand off, although i have experienced hand off
when stationary myself.

In summary, the "American Connection" is full of it.  If you take
Personal Communications, keep your eyes peeled for an upcoming
articled, "Cellular Swiss Cheese", of which I'm co-authoring on
the subject.  I'd be happy to send a copy to Info-Hams and/or
Telecom if enough interest warrants.

End of TELECOM Digest