[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #201

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (06/19/85)

From: Moderator <Telecom-REQUEST@MIT-XX.ARPA>

TELECOM Digest                           Tuesday, June 18, 1985 7:22PM
Volume 4, Issue 201

Today's Topics:

                    Cellular Phone eaves dropping
                   Responsibility of various telcos

[We experienced a small problem with the digestifying software that
prevented the previous digest from being undigestifiable using the
Babyl undigestifyer (and others). We hope this digest is up to
standard.  Please report any problems you have to
TELECOM-REQUEST@MIT-XX. --JSol]

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 85 18:42:20 pdt
From: Michael Peirce <peirce@lll-crg.ARPA>
Subject: Cellular Phone eaves dropping

It seems that someone in the California Legislator has proposed
a bill that would ban scanners capable of picking up cellular
phone traffic.

The local amateur radio folks are mobilizing against it with
a letter writing blitz.

Michael Peirce

------------------------------

Date:           Tue, 18 Jun 85 11:30:54 PDT
From:           "Theodore N. Vail" <vail@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA>
Subject:        Responsibility of various telcos

I just tried to dial a number in Cambridge, Massachussetts and received
the following recording:

    "The number you have reached XXXXXXX is not in service in area code
    607.  Please check the number and dial again."

I dialed long-distance information and was given the same number to dial
again, by "New England Telephone", even though I am in General Telephone
territory and my long-distance carrier is AT&T.

The amount is not large, however since I had the correct number, which
agreed with the telco's information service, why should I be charged
for long-distance information?  What is the responsibility of the telco
to provide accurate information service?  Are they permitted to charge
for incorrect information?  Do they have a responsibility to provide a
certain level of accuracy?  If so, what?

ted.

End of TELECOM Digest