[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #202

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (06/22/85)

From: Moderator <Telecom-REQUEST@MIT-XX.ARPA>

TELECOM Digest                         Saturday, June 22, 1985 12:01AM
Volume 4, Issue 202

Today's Topics:

                      trouble with the archives
   Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #201 (long distance directory assistance)
                 Pointers to Microcom Modem & Vendor?
                Re:  Responsibility of various telcos
                             Penril woes
                             Easy Dialing

Date: Fri 21 Jun 85 16:25:17-EDT
From: Jon Solomon <JSOL@MIT-XX.ARPA>
Subject: trouble with the archives

SRI-CSL is in the process of upgrading its system from Tenex to
TOPS-20. During this time, the archives are in an unstable state.
I have moved TELECOM.RECENT from SRI-CSL to MIT-XX and will update
it as new digests are prepared. If you are looking for a recent
digest (i.e. within this volume), then please look in PS:<JSOL.TELECOM>
on MIT-XX. The other volumes are still on SRI-CSL in the <TELECOM>
directory. When SRI-CSL is fully up and running Tops-20, I will
move the archive back there.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
--Jsol

------------------------------

From: ima!johnl@bbncca
Date: Wed Jun 19 11:18:00 1985
Subject: Re: TELECOM Digest V4 #201 (long distance directory assistance)

I gather that the charge you pay for long distance directory assistance
is for the long distance call to the D.A. operator rather than for the
information.  But if your call to Cambridge really was answered with a
message saying "not assigned in area code 607", it suggests that either
you or your General Tel exchange dialed 607 rather than 617.  (Also, all
of the Cambridge exchanges intercept a bad number by repeating back the
number you called and telling you that it's not in service at this time.)

But now I'm confused.  Who do directory assistance operators work for,
the local telcos or AT&T?  If I dial 213-555-1212, do I get Pacific
Bell operators, General Tel operators, or AT&T operators?  How about when
I dial 809-555-1212 and the operator says "what island, please?"  What's
particularly confusing is that apparently when you dial D.A. through
MCI, Sprint, or SBS, they route it to AT&T from whom they have bought
bulk D.A. service.

John Levine, ima!johnl or Levine@YALE.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 17 June 1985  14:19-MDT
From: vax135!timeinc!dwight@Ucb-Vax.ARPA
Subject:   Pointers to Microcom Modem & Vendor?

There's been some discussion here about the 300/1200/2400 baud modem
offered by Microcom (Microcomm?) that implements the MNP (Microcom[m]
Networking Protocol) inside the modems' firmware.  I cannot seem to be
able to get any pointers to the company nor to the modem model number.
Can anyone help? Thanks!

		--Dwight Ernest	KA2CNN	\ Usenet:...vax135!timeinc!dwight
		  Time Inc. Edit./Prod. Tech. Grp., New York City
		  Voice: (212) 554-5061 \ Compuserve: 70210,523
		  Telemail: DERNEST/TIMECOMDIV/TIMEINC \ MCI: DERNEST
"The opinions expressed above are those of the writer and do not necessarily
 reflect the opinions of Time Incorporated."

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 19 Jun 85 9:20:01 EDT
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL.ARPA>
Subject:  Re:  Responsibility of various telcos

In the recording "...not in service in area code ___", you meant 617,
not 607, right?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jun 85 14:31:28 edt
From: Don Saklad <dws@mit-eddie>

Subject: clicks and handset speakers
Newsgroups: fa.telecom

	Loud clicks not withstanding, how about the handsets which feed
the same individual's voice back into the same individual's ear at volume
which is too loud like clicks which are many times too painful.

	What's the term for that phenomenom--your voice fed back to your
own ear by your telephone handset.

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 18 June 1985  15:29-MDT
From: Mark Horton <mark%cbosgd.uucp@Brl-Bmd.ARPA>
Subject:   Penril woes

We have gobs and gobs of Penril auto-dial 212 modems.  They've worked
reasonably well on some old configurations (a Develcon dataswtch and a
DZ port) with some funny cabling, but we're just now discovering a
pair of misfeatures that are giving us fits.

We can't use the Penril as a dialup (e.g. 212 answer-only replacement)
because it asserts CD all the time.  (This isn't switch selectable.)
This causes UNIX to wake up the getty, which prints a banner.  The
banner contains a CR, which wakes up the penril, which greets the
getty.  The two then carry on a little conversation, eating up CPU,
repeatedly.  One trick is to set a switch and have RI wired to CD - it
will leave RI high during and after the ring.  (This is the funny
cabling mentioned above.)  This worked on the DZ, but when we moved to
a DH, we found out that RI doesn't emulate CD perfectly.  RI goes up
and down a few times before coming up for good.  This drives our DH
crazy, waking up the getty and immediately blowing it away with
SIGHUP.  We are also having this problem on a Bridge CS/1.

We can mostly use them as a dial-out, but they have an annoying habit
that if I have just connected up (within a few seconds) and type lots
of stuff fast, ending in CR, the modem fails to print 10 chars worth
of output and instead prints the 3 chars "CR LF >".  This drives our
UUCP crazy on some hosts, since it types fast and sends CR.  Often it
will expect login, get it, send uucp, expect ssword, and get neither
the echo of uucp nor the ssword, just a >.

Does anybody have any advice?  Can you confirm that these problems
(especially the > one) are really in the Penril?  Is there a fix?  We
have about 24 of these modems in 3 racks, an investment we hate to
lose or replace.

	Mark

------------------------------

Date: 21-Jun-85 15:09:12-PDT
From: matt@FORD-WDL1.ARPA

Does anybody out there have any information on possible
codecs for either Bell T-1 or CEPT Level 1 formats
which are devices? I am looking for an
IC, ideally, but would settle for a single-card
implementation, if required.  I would like to get into
and out of a level 1 TDM stream in as small a size as
possible.  Please mail any responses to me via e-mail at:
           matt@wdl1
Thanks in advance.
                Matthew Noall

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 21 Jun 85 8:47:15 EDT
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL.ARPA>
Subject:  Easy Dialing

Just saw "Easy Dialing" (another name for equal access?)
for 1st time.  That's the dialing of 1+areacode+number
regardless of your long-distance carrier.
(This was in C&P of Md. announcement.)

End of TELECOM Digest