[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #203

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (06/23/85)

From: Moderator <Telecom-REQUEST@MIT-XX.ARPA>

TELECOM Digest                           Sunday, June 23, 1985 12:06AM
Volume 4, Issue 203

Today's Topics:

                 Pointers to Microcom Modem & Vendor?
                 Pointers to Microcom Modem & Vendor?
                       Re: Terminology inquiry
                       U.S TRON repair question
                   Re: clicks and handset speakers
                    "sidetone" and "equal" access

Date: Wednesday, 19 June 1985  15:09-MDT
From: sdyer@bbnccv.ARPA (Steve Dyer)
Subject:   Pointers to Microcom Modem & Vendor?

> There's been some discussion here about the 300/1200/2400 baud
> modem offered by Microcom (Microcomm?) that implements the MNP
> (Microcom[m] Networking Protocol) inside the modems' firmware.
> I cannot seem to be able to get any pointers to the company nor
> to the modem model number. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Microcom can be reached at (617)-762-9310.  They are in Norwood, Mass.
The model number, I believe, is ZX2400.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 20 June 1985  12:10-MDT
From: Dan Lorenzini <cmcl2!philabs!dal@Seismo.ARPA>

In article <748@bbnccv.UUCP> sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:

>> There's been some discussion here about the 300/1200/2400 baud
>> modem offered by Microcom (Microcomm?) that implements the MNP
>> (Microcom[m] Networking Protocol) inside the modems' firmware.
>> I cannot seem to be able to get any pointers to the company nor
>> to the modem model number. Can anyone help? Thanks!
>
>Microcom can be reached at (617)-762-9310.  They are in Norwood, Mass.
>The model number, I believe, is ZX2400.
>--

The Microcom ZX/2400 is Hayes compatible but does not have MNP.  The
model number for the one with MNP is SX/2400.

Dan

------------------------------

From: holtzman@mit-charon.ARPA (Henry N. Holtzman)
Date: 22 Jun 1985 0309-EDT (Saturday)
Subject: Re: Terminology inquiry

The signal fed back from the microphone to the earpiece is called side-tone.

-Hank

------------------------------

Subject: U.S TRON repair question
Date: 22 Jun 85 15:54:29 EDT (Sat)
From: cspencer@bbnccv

I have one of those funny looking U.S TRON phones, model
PL2000. Has anyone ever experienced problems with these
phones concerning static noise in the earpiece? The
static is so loud as to make the phone unusable.
					cliff
					cspencer@bbnccv

------------------------------

From: munnari!basser.oz!john@seismo
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 85 10:47:26 EST
Subject: Re: clicks and handset speakers

> Date: Fri, 21 Jun 85 14:31:28 edt
> From: Don Saklad <dws@mit-eddie>
>
> 	What's the term for that phenomenom--your voice fed back to your
> own ear by your telephone handset.

Sidetone.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 22-Jun-85 11:39:19 PDT
From: vortex!lauren@rand-unix (Lauren Weinstein)
Subject: "sidetone" and "equal" access

The part of the speaker's voice that is heard in his or her own
earphone is called "sidetone."  It's a result of imperfect hybrids,
plus the fact that without it people tend to SHOUT into their phones.

---

Man, was I ever disgusted with the payphones in Portand (at the
recent Usenix).  Equal access is turning into more of a joke
every day.  The "normal" pay phones (that took money) had no information
about dialing interlata calls.  The charge-a-call phones were even
worse.  They had big labels telling you how to reach all the
"lightweight" carriers, but nothing obvious about using AT&T.  As it turned
out, the access numbers for the non-AT&T carriers just dialed a local
number to access that service--you couldn't DO anything after that
unless you happened to have an account on that particular service.

Could you call using AT&T from these phones?  What if you didn't
HAVE an account on any of the others?  YES, you could.  Both the
charge-a-call and coin phones would accept the normal 0+NPA+7D sequences.
But if you didn't know this sequence, where would you find it?
On the phone of course.  But where?  It turned out that the
AT&T dialing instructions WERE on the phones--in about 2 point
non-contrasting type printed across the bottom fold of the
information card.  As close to invisible as anything could be.

Total madness.

--Lauren

End of TELECOM Digest