[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V4 #204

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (06/25/85)

From: Moderator <Telecom-REQUEST@MIT-XX.ARPA>

TELECOM Digest                           Tuesday, June 25, 1985 2:54AM
Volume 4, Issue 204

Today's Topics:

              Re:  Verification of Equal Access Carrier
                       Md./DC area miscellanea
                         Mystery phone number
                            2503 telephone

Date:     Mon, 24 Jun 85 8:18:07 EDT
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL.ARPA>
Subject:  Re:  Verification of Equal Access Carrier

President Carter's call-in used area code 900, not 700.

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 24 Jun 85 9:21:17 EDT
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL.ARPA>
Subject:  Md./DC area miscellanea

At BWI (Balt.-Wash. International Airport), there are 2 prefixes
on the pay phones: 859 for Baltimore area, 621 for Washington area.
Charge-Call phones are on 859.  (However, the phone books there had
general flight info at 261-1000; either reversed digits or that's an
ANNAPOLIS number, which doesn't make sense if it's at BWI.)

Latest DC phone book has 692,694,695,696,697 in DC but has 693 as
Dept. of Defense, Va.

1971-72 Baltimore area directory has some things different from now:
363 Owings Mills (Pikesville rates) and 356 Owings Mills (Reisterstown
rates); these have not changed except for the words used to describe
them.
723 Crofton (Severna Park rates); now 793?
787 Sykesville; now 549?
951 Silver Spring; 951 is now Bethesda?
932 Bowie-Glenn Dale; 932 is now Waldorf?
875 Bel Air; 875 is now Westminster (Sykesville service)?

Md. pay phones I see in Baltimore LATA are now charging 25 cents,
although 621 mentioned above charged 20 cents when I saw it in May.
(Earlier, I saw 577 charging 25 cents close to DC.) A pay phone in
Bel Air (301-838) announces C&P, a Bell Atlantic Co.

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jun 1985 11:35-EDT
Subject: Mystery phone number
From: WTHOMPSON@BBNF.BBN.COM

Once upon a time, there was a phone number which allowed the good
people of the land to determine what phone number they were
calling from.  By dialling this magic number, a voice would come
back, reciting the digits of the originating caller's line.

Now when I try this magic number [(200)777-7777], alas, I get a
fast busy.  (200)555-1212 also fails.  Does anyone know of a
number that works?

William Thompson

------------------------------

From: crash!scotto@SDCSVAX.ARPA
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 85 20:29:24 PDT
Subject: 2503 telephone

Hello Everyone,

        Does anyone have any documentation for a Western Electric 2503
exclusion key telephone?  I would like to either borrow, or have a
specific configuration relayed to me.

                                Thanks..

---Scott O'Connell		crash!scotto@ucsd
				{ihnp4, cbosgd, sdcsvax}!crash!scotto