[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V5 #9

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (07/25/85)

From: Moderator <Telecom-REQUEST@MIT-XX.ARPA>

TELECOM Digest                         Wednesday, July 24, 1985 7:04PM
Volume 5, Issue 9

Today's Topics:

                data line from Tech Sq. to Harvard Sq.
                  High-speed f/o at last-years rates
           Re:  private pay phones and auctioning spectrum
                             CCITT Modems
                        43401 and LADS service
                      Telco service obligations

Date: Sun, 21 Jul 85 17:48:59 pdt
From: amdcad!amd!phil@Berkeley (Phil Ngai)
Subject: data line from Tech Sq. to Harvard Sq.

Here in California the local RBOC will not give you metallic circuits
that cross Central Office boundaries. That means you can't get a 43401,
only a 3002 type circuit. Believe me, I've tried. I'm afraid you'll have
to buy real modems instead of cheap reliable line drivers.

The higher speed alternatives include DDS, T1, microwave, and infra-red,
but they are all much more expensive.
 This is only my opinion and an unofficial one at that.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 UUCP: {decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!phil
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1985  07:35 EDT
From: GZ.PC%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject: High-speed f/o at last-years rates

This is a flame about unplanned obsolescence.

My little co. has finally shipped a pair of 560Mbps 1:1 protected fiber-optic
terminals to a rather large phone company, after slipping commitments all the
way from last July.  They interface at DS-3 and run E2A.

We ran into the usual management, production and engineering problems; we
promised too much, much too soon, to too many people.  We have made enemies
at PACBell...

Our only competition during this period has been NEC, with their absolutely
beautiful/reliable 405Mbps terminal that takes four times the volume for
the same protection level.

However, four companies have announced the release of 565Mbps terminals
in the fourth quarter of 1985.  I must assume that they have developed
the darn things with considerably less fanfare than my own co. provided.

So much for our planned monopoly of the long-lines business...

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 22 Jul 85 14:45:40 EDT
From:     Ron Natalie <ron@BRL.ARPA>
Subject:  Re:  private pay phones and auctioning spectrum

I was shopping the other day and Teleconcepts has a cheapo pay phone for
home use which insists you stick a quarter in it before you can dial.
Sort of cute for home use.

=Ron

------------------------------

Date: 23 Jul 85 22:39 GMT
From: perscom8 @ KOREA-EMH
Subject: CCITT Modems

Has anyone had any dealings with CCITT Modems?  This is not a brand name but
rather a type setup in the modem. I understand that most of the US is using
Bell 212A compatible and that Europe and the orient are set up to use CCITT.
Looking for answers to the following:

1.  Is the difference between CCITT and Bell 212A compatible merely a question
of how modulation is handled or is there more to it?

2.  Can anyone give some recommendations on brand and model numbers of some
CCITT Modems? Am looking for 300/1200/2400 BAUD rates.

Thanks

CW2 Rich Ellison
Chief, Automation Management Office
HQ 8th PERSCOM(P)
APO SF 96301-0089
(KOREA)

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 22 Jul 1985 06:15:04-PDT
From: goldstein%donjon.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Fred R. Goldstein)
Subject: 43401 and LADS service

Several years ago, I ordered 43401-compliant service between a site
on the Harvard Square CO and one served by Back Bay (about 3 miles).
It took New England Telephone 18 weeks to deliver it, but eventually
they did.  Perhaps they're having trouble with the terminology, since
the two terms are not equivalent:

Technical Publication 43401 describes rules for metallic connections
to private line circuits.  It is not a "service".

Type 3002 is the name of the "service" whose English name is Private
line Data Service.  It's named in the tariff, so they know what it is.
3002 lines have voiceband characteristics with optional equalization
and no telephone signalling.  They normally don't pass DC either.

Type 3002 is part of Series 3000 (voiceband data), while Series 1000
is "telegraph grade" and Series 2000 is "voice".

LADS is a marketing name for 43401-compliant service that, at least
when introduced, was bundled with Codex short-haul modems.  Whatever
they call the circuit used by LADS is probably what you want.  The
problem is that LADS is tariffed for intra-office use, or at least
intra-exchange use.  In the latter case, you're fine, since  both
locations are within the Cambridge exchange.  But if the tariff
(which I don't have handy) is for intra-office use only, you've gotta
convince them to do it anyway.  They'll say that it won't work, and
they might be right, but with LOTS of tweaking, I got Gandalf modems
to go 4800 bps over about 6 miles of copper.

------------------------------

Date: 24 Jul 85 01:15:00 EDT
From: "Gold::SHADOW" <shadow@gold.decnet>
Subject: Telco service obligations

With all these stories about Bruce Sprintsteen, I was wondering if the
local BOC has any legal/moral obligations to provide some level of
service.

Any system, especially a complicated electronic one, that can handle
a 50% above normal load semi-well is rare.

But then again, what about emergency calls and the like?

Anyone know about this?

David
Shadow@RU-AIM.ARPA
Sh* 26