[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V5 #18

telecom@ucbvax.ARPA (08/15/85)

From: Moderator <Telecom-REQUEST@MIT-XX.ARPA>

TELECOM Digest                       Wednesday, August 14, 1985 7:28PM
Volume 5, Issue 18
Date:           Tue, 13 Aug 85 17:11:25 PDT
From:           "David G. Cantor" <dgc@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject:        Details of call-forwarding

My local operating company (General Telephone) is finally offering call
forwarding.  As I understand it, even though calls are being forwarded,
I can still place outgoing calls.  Suppose I am placing an outgoing
call from a line which has call forwarding in effect.  If a friend
calls my number, will he receive a busy signal or will his call be
forwarded?  Or will something else happen?  (I'm assuming that the
number I'm forwarding to is not busy and that circuits are not busy,
etc.).

Is it possible that details of call-forwarding, such as the above, vary
from operating company to operating company, or is there an industry
standard for call-forwarding and other special services?

dgc

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 85 20:30:34 EDT
From: Keith F. Lynch <KFL@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: 976 numbers

  Here in the Washington D.C. area, there are now local phone numbers which
cost extra to dial.  They all begin with 976.  For instance there is one
that will give you stock quotes.  It's a sort of reverse 800 service.
  Does anyone know more about these?  How much does the company get from
each call?  Do any other cities have anything like this?
								...Keith

------------------------------

From: dual!mordor!seismo!munnari!basser.oz!john@UCB-VAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 85 20:55:58 EST
To: munnari!telecom
Subject: Re: CCITT modems

In article <9804@ucbvax.ARPA>
	decwrl!sun!calma!helge@Berkeley (Helge Skrivervik) writes:

> Dialing from the US to Austrailia aslo usually works fine, but I have
> no information as to what standards they are using down under...

We use CCITT (European) standards.  I agree with Helge's statements
about 212A/V.22 compatibility.

John Mackin, Basser Department of Computer Science,
	     University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
UUCP: ...!seismo!munnari!basser.oz!john
ARPA: munnari!basser.oz!john@SEISMO.CSS.GOV

14-Aug-85 18:36:25-EDT,766;000000000001
Date:     Wed, 14 Aug 85 10:27 EST
From:     "Steven H. Gutfreund" <gutfreund%umass-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
To:       info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA, telecom@mit-xx.ARPA
Subject:  19.2K baud modem

An intesting ad in this week's Electronics:	12-Aug

Adcomm 96/48		19.2Kbaud Modem

Full duplex, Asynchronous, full error checking, $1,995.

Carterfone Communications Corp.		(214)630-9700		Dallas, TX.

(I advise you to check this one out yourselves -- I have no connection with,
 them, and I am not endorsing the product nor the company).

13-Aug-85 22:17:13-EDT,1477;000000000001
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 85 14:49:28 PDT
From: sun!l5!gnu@UCB-VAX.BERKELEY.EDU (John Gilmore)
To: Telecom-Request@MIT-XX.ARPA
Subject: Re: Baud rate limit on voice grade lines

I believe the loophole in using the Shannon formula is that it assumes
the 3+kHz bandwidth that is guaranteed throughout the phone network.
The way local phone companies are offerring higher speed digital
access is by using the higher bandwidth available *in the local loop*.
The digital data is not passed thru the entire network as [possibly
digitally encoded] voice-grade analog signals, but is recognized as
digital data at the CO and transmitted digitally.

I believe this is also how the "data under voice" systems work -- the
data is going in a portion of the local loop's bandwidth that the
normal phones filter out and refuse to use.

This is speculation; any authoritative comments?

End of TELECOM Digest