[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V5 #25

Telecom-REQUEST@MIT-XX.ARPA (Moderator) (08/24/85)

TELECOM Digest                          Friday, August 23, 1985 6:55PM
Volume 5, Issue 25
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 85 20:17:31 EDT
From: Keith F. Lynch <KFL@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: Telenet service

  I don't know about this new service, but when I had occasion to use
Telenet three years ago, I soon gave up in disgust.
  Not only did it not pass eight bit characters, it did not pass most
control characters or any escape sequences.  Also, CR and LF were handled
in a strange way.  And it paused between each line for longer than it
took to send each line (this was at 1200 baud).
  Does anyone know if they have cleaned up their act?
								...Keith

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 85 20:20:18 EDT
From: Keith F. Lynch <KFL@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: Area codes

  What do they plan to do when they run out of area codes?
  And who exactly is 'they'?  Who makes decisions about area codes
since the breakup?
								...Keith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 85 02:19:25 EDT
From: Stephen C. Hill <STEVEH@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject:  Cellular "air time"
To: wilkes@HOPKINS-EECS-BRAVO.ARPA
cc: STEVEH@MIT-MC.ARPA, TELECOM@MIT-MC.ARPA

Good analysis, Rick.  Does bring up an interesting thought, tho.  Usually,
there are trade-offs between vendors in a single market.  Are there NAY pluses
for Ma, except for the name?

Also, that is an interesting answering machine.  What is it?
23-Aug-85 16:44:15-EDT,914;000000000001
Date: 23 Aug 85 14:36:30 EDT (Fri)
From: nomad!ggr@seismo.CSS.GOV (Guy Riddle)
Subject: Wow!
To: vortex!lauren@seismo.CSS.GOV
Cc: Telecom@MIT-XX.ARPA

This PC Pursuit stuff sounds great!  I can hardly wait to see
what happens when people figure out how to use it to send all their
netnews (and mail) traffic for $25/month.

		=== Guy Riddle == AT&T Bell Laboratories, New Jersey ===
				ggr.btl@csnet-relay.ARPA
					ihnp4!ggr
23-Aug-85 18:53:37-EDT,433;000000000001
Date: Fri 23 Aug 85 18:53:36-EDT
From: Jon Solomon <JSOL@MIT-XX.ARPA>
Subject: issue 23
To: telecom@MIT-XX.ARPA

Apparently Issue 23 got lost. If anyone received a copy would
they please forward it back to me so we can maintain an archive?

Anyone posting a message to TELECOM which they haven't seen yet,
may assume that it was in issue 23, and resend it.

--JSol
-------

End of TELECOM Digest