[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V5 #27

Telecom-REQUEST@MIT-XX.ARPA (Moderator) (08/27/85)

TELECOM Digest                          Monday, August 26, 1985 9:04PM
Volume 5, Issue 27

Today's Topics:

                        PC Pursuit Performance
                    Re: new area codes since 1982
                             a cheap EMS
                       PC Pursuit contact info
                         Re: Telenet service

Date: Sun, 25-Aug-85 21:26:09 PDT
From: vortex!lauren@rand-unix.ARPA (Lauren Weinstein)
Subject: PC Pursuit Performance

Reports are starting to come in regarding throughput.  Indications
are that it's not too bad for an individual typing, but appears
to start suffering badly for more "continuous" operations (like
uploading and downloading files).  This is to be expected given
previously observed problems with TELENET.  The bursty nature
of the connections seems to vary from place to place and time to
time as well.  Presumably as traffic increases this problem
will become more pronounced.  There are also reports of all circuits
being busy in some major metro areas ALREADY.  My guess is that the
hard-core BBS people will manage to tie the service up pretty
completely--which presumably is what TELENET intended.

--Lauren--

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 26 Aug 85 7:50:24 EDT
From:     Carl Moore (VLD/VMB) <cmoore@BRL.ARPA>
Subject:  Re: new area codes since 1982

New area code since 1982 in Los Angeles area was not 805, it was 818.

------------------------------

Date: 26 August 85 15:51 EDT
From: RMXJ%CORNELLA.BITNET@Berkeley
Subject: a cheap EMS

The Director of the Office of Advanced Scientific Computing here at the
National Science Foundation (Dr. J.W.D. Connolly) asked me to ask the
list the following question:

He would like to be able to communicate from Greece to America (here in DC)
via just about any means.  He has in mind a cheap Earth Station (something
that would cost under $500 to build or buy).  He cannot use the phone system
because there is a 5 year backlog in requests to the phone company for
installing lines  - so this rules out connecting to the existing UUCP
site in Greece.  Besides which, the phone system is saturated and it is
very difficult to make outgoing calls to anyone anywhere.
The baud rate of the system would make no difference, just so long as it
works.

He has in mind tying into SATNET somehow or another satellite.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on how to accomplish this?
Would a satellite dish do it?  I suppose Ham Radio is possible -
although I would tend to think that it would be a last resort.

Gligor Tashkovich

GLIGOR @ UCBARPA  (ARPA.BERKELEY.EDU)  (ARPAnet alias)
RMXJ @ CORNELLA (BITnet)

------------------------------

Date: 26 August 85 16:29 EDT
From: RMXJ%CORNELLA.BITNET@Berkeley
Subject: PC Pursuit contact info

I just received the press kit that describes in detail the PC
PRSUIT package.  For information contact:

Claudia Houston at (703) 689-5689
After 6pm, call: (703) 938-3283

The 703 area code is in Reston, Virginia (for the curious).

Gligor Tashkovich

Date:     Mon, 26 Aug 85 15:55:07 CDT
From: Paul Milazzo <milazzo@rice.ARPA>
Subject:  Re: Telenet service

All of the Telenet "deficiencies" Mr. Lynch mentioned (transmission of
control- and meta- characters, CR/LF handling, forwarding interval) are
controlled by settable parameters.  Most of these can be altered by
setting standard X.3 parameters, while others (such as 8-bit data path)
require changing Telenet-specific parameters.

It should be the responsibility of the host at the other end of the
connection to set all these parameters to values suitable for the OS
and application.  If you don't like the settings, though, you are free
to change them at any time (unless the host has specifically disabled
"escape to command mode"!).  It sounds like your host software did a
poor job of picking default values for certain parameters.

I don't know what Telenet will do with PC-Pursuit, though.  I presume
they will allow you to set all the parameters since protocols such as
Kermit may not function correctly with the default settings.

				Paul G. Milazzo
				Dept. of Computer Science
				Rice University, Houston, TX

ARPA:	milazzo@rice.ARPA
UUCP:	{cbosgd,convex,cornell,hp-pcd,shell,sun,ut-sally,waltz}!rice!milazzo

End of TELECOM Digest