[fa.telecom] TELECOM Digest V5 #36

Telecom-REQUEST@MIT-XX.ARPA (Moderator) (09/15/85)

TELECOM Digest                       Sunday, September 15, 1985 2:27PM
Volume 5, Issue 36

Today's Topics:

                            Merlin system
                             700 numbers
                           2400 baud modems
                    [jfw%mit-ccc: Telco question]

Date:  Thu, 12 Sep 85 23:32 EDT
From:  Frankston@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

Subject:  Pocket size cellular phone

I saw a brief mention of this two days ago in USA Today.  It is British
but that is all I remember about it.  The contrast is with the Motorola
8000 cellular which is small, but nowhere near pocket size.

Does anyone know about this British unit?

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!a.reed@Berkeley
Date:       13 Sep 1985  11:07 EDT
Subject:    Merlin system

	From: Paul R. Johnson <PRJohnson@MIT-XX.ARPA>
    ... Radio Shack cost is about ... $300.  ... AT&T ... Merlin
    system: $2499!  What accounts for the > 800% difference?

	From: Keith F. Lynch <KFL@MIT-MC.ARPA>
    Probably their high advertising budget.
    They seem to have radio ads for the Merlin system
    every ten minutes around the clock.

I happen to work for AT&T, but the following opinion is solely my own.
Comparing traditional multiline telephones with a programmable
communication system such as Merlin is rather like comparing a
traditional typewriter with a computer-based word-processing system.
The nominal functions are the same, but the higher-tech systems
permit a significantly higher level of productivity. For example, the
Merlin may be programmed to chime calls with a different melody
for each incoming line, so that one does not waste time attending to
calls intended for another worker. If you try to start a call while
all outside lines are busy, Merlin will chime you back when a line
becomes available, eliminating the time and distraction of having to
check periodically for the availability of a line. Etc etc etc etc:
my Merlin came with an 8-page list of 71 such capabilities and how to
program them in from my phone.

How much is additional productivity worth? A $3000 system will more
than pay for itself in 4 years if it saves the business $1000 per year.
Assuming 5 employees and 200 working days per year, that's $1 per
employee per day. Loaded cost being 2 to 3 times cash salary, this
corresponds to about 30 seconds per day for a professional employee, or
90 seconds per day for a clerical. Whether a system can can improve
productivity to that extent can only be calculated from within the
business.
		Adam V. Reed (ihnp4!npois!adam)

------------------------------

From: ima!johnl@bbncca
Date: Sun Sep 15 00:30:00 1985
Subject: 700 numbers

I gather that area code 700 has been given to the various long distance
carriers for services specific to them.  Here is a short list of 700
numbers I know about.  Anybody know of others?

   -- All carriers
1-700-555-4141	Plays a recording identifying the carrier.  Handy if
	you think you`ve presubscribed and want to find out if your
	local telco has set you up.  Also handy for finding out who
	some random 10XXX prefix connects you to.

  -- SBS
1-700-369-1000  Connects you to DowPhone, a telephone stock quote and
	news service.  Separate subscription required, but the charges
	go on your SBS bill.

  -- AT&T
0-700-456-1000  Alliance Teleconferencing, which is touted in glossy
	color ads as the best conference call system in the universe,
	available in most areas.  Here in Boston, it gets a recording
	stating that Alliance service is not yet available in this area,
	call an 800 number to get the conference operator, at higher cost.
	I gather that the 700 number hooks you to a computer which lets you
	set up your own conference calls.  No idea why you have to dial 0
	first, but you do.  Sounds preferable to 3-way calling if you only
	make occasional conference calls.

John Levine, ima!johnl or Levine@YALE.ARPA

------------------------------

From: SMERESKI.WBST@Xerox.ARPA
Date: 12 Sep 85 10:42:37 EDT
Subject: 2400 baud modems

We have been given the task to recommend a 2400 baud modem for a particular
project.  The project will eventually purchase (within a year) over 2,000
2400 baud modems to be used on an IBM PC compatible (i.e. an internal modem
would be preferable).  We will control the modems used on both sides of the
connection.  Chances are that whatever we recommend for this project will
become the defacto standard for our division and influence all purchases of
2400 baud modems.  I would appreciate general comments on 2400 baud modems
and specific comments on the following items:

     o    What brands/models modems should we definitely consider.
     o    What brands/models modems should we definitely NOT consider.
     o    Is there any laboratory test data available on any of the 2400
          baud modems.

/Dave

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1985  12:20 EDT
From: Jon Solomon <JSOL%BUCS20%bostonu.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: [jfw%mit-ccc: Telco question]

Date: Sunday, 15 September 1985  11:17-EDT
From: jfw%mit-ccc at bu-cs
To:   jsol at mit-xx.ARPA
cc:   jfw at mit-ccc
Re:   Telco question

Is it still illegal for automatic advertising dialers not to hang up if you
hang up your phone?  I just got one, and assuming that the DPU hasn't caved
in to the demands of advertising, I'd like to annoy NET with a complaint.
Who at NET would be the right ones to complain to?

End of TELECOM Digest