[net.math] series sum

anthony@utcsstat.uucp (Anthony Ayiomamitis) (01/23/86)

	Can anyone deduce the sum of the following series after n terms?

	  1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 15 + 21 + .....

--

       	{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony
        {ihnp4|decvax|utzoo|utcsrgv}!utcs!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony

bs@linus.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (01/24/86)

> 	Can anyone deduce the sum of the following series after n terms?
>
> 	  1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 15 + 21 + .....
>
> --
>
>        	{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony
>         {ihnp4|decvax|utzoo|utcsrgv}!utcs!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony

The n'th term is:  n(n+1)(n+2)
		   -----------
			6

Bob Silverman

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (01/24/86)

Sure ... the sum of n terms of 1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 15 ... is

	n(n+1)(n+2)/6

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (01/24/86)

> 	Can anyone deduce the sum of the following series after n terms?
>
> 	  1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 15 + 21 + .....
> --
>        	{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony
  This appears to be (using S for capital sigma):

        n      k
        S      S  i
       k=1    i=1

The second summation = k(k+1)/2, and then the first summation can be
performed by multiplying this out, separating the terms, using this same
relationship again plus this one:

        S    k^2   =  n(n+1)(2n+1)/6
       k=1

--henry schaffer

pnp@ihnp1.UUCP (Pete Prokopowicz) (01/24/86)

1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + ... + = ?
the sum of n terms is (n**2 + n) x (n + 2) / 6
I think.

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (01/24/86)

> 	Can anyone deduce the sum of the following series after n terms?
>
> 	  1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 15 + 21 + .....

If I am correct,
                             n (n + 1) (n + 2)
                         S = -----------------
                                     6

should simply work.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (01/24/86)

>	Can anyone deduce the sum of the following series after n terms?
>
>	  1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 15 + 21 + .....

yes

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

gwyn@brl-tgr.UUCP (01/26/86)

> >     Can anyone deduce the sum of the following series after n terms?
> >
> >       1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 15 + 21 + .....
>
> yes

Well, almost anyone.  Actually, one has to know how to look things
up in standard reference books, or else be able to do simple math.

stassen@spp2.UUCP (Chris Stassen) (01/26/86)

In article <2265@utcsstat.uucp> anthony writes:

>       Can anyone deduce the sum of the following series after n terms?
>
>         1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 15 + 21 + .....

        S(n) =  n ( n^2 + 3n + 2 ) / 6

        I have a simple method that works for all series that can
be expressed as polymonials.  I developed it on my own in High
School, but I am sure that it is an accepted method (and that
someone else has named it).  In fact, there is probably a less
clumsy version of the method, but I haven't read anything about
it.  (Any pointers to books would be accepted - I like this stuff).

1   3   6   10   15   21   28   36   45   55    - Set of terms

1   4  10   20   35   56   - First few sums
  3   6   10   15   21     - Difference between adjacent sums (n^1)
    3   4    5    6        - Difference between adjacent diffs (n^2)
      1   1    1           - Difference between adjacent diffs (n^3)

        When we get constants across a row, then that row is the highest
power of n involved in the expression for the sum  (all rows that follow
would be zero).  The factor of n^m  (in constant row "m")  is  C/(m!),
where C is the constant (the value of all numbers in that row).

        Therefore, n^3/6 is the first part of the polynomial.  Now,
we have to subtract n^3/6 from each sum.

n^3/6

5/6   16/6   33/6   56/6   85/6   120/6  - First few sums (minus n^3/6)
   11/6   17/6   23/6   29/6   35/6      - Difference btw adj sums (n)
       6/6     6/6   6/6    6/6          - Difference btw adj diff (n^2)

        Note that the n^2 row is now the constant row (we have subtracted
out the n^3 part of the polynomial expression).  C=1, and the coefficient
for n^2 is therefore 1/2.  Now, we have to subtract n^2/2 from each sum.

n^2/2

2/6   4/6   6/6   8/6   10/6  - First few sums (less n^3/6 and n^2/2)
   2/6   2/6   2/6    2/6     - Difference between adjacent sums (n)

        Note that the n row is now the constant row (we have subtracted
out the n^3 and n^2 parts of the polynomial expression).  C=1/3, and
the coefficient of n is therefore 1/3.  Now, we subtract n/3 from each
sum.

n/3

0 0 0 0 0 - Sums

        There is no constant in the polynomial.  Therefore, the
expression for the sum is:

                n ( n^2 + 3n + 2 ) / 6

        Let's test it to be sure.

1   4  10   20   35   56   - First few sums

        n = 1 :   S(n)  = 1 ( 1 + 3 + 2 ) / 6         = 1
        n = 2 :   S(n)  = 2 ( 4 + 6 + 2 ) / 6         = 4
        n = 3 :   S(n)  = 3 ( 9 + 9 + 2 ) / 6         = 10
        n = 4 :   S(n)  = 4 (16 +12 + 2 ) / 6         = 20

                        -- Chris

eirik@tekchips.UUCP (Eirik Fuller) (01/27/86)

In article <2265@utcsstat.uucp> anthony@utcsstat.uucp
	(Anthony Ayiomamitis) writes:

>	Can anyone deduce the sum of the following series after n terms?
>
>	  1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 15 + 21 + .....
>
>--
>
>       	{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony
>        {ihnp4|decvax|utzoo|utcsrgv}!utcs!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony

Well, that depends on what the rest of the terms are ...  8^).

The Nth partial sum of this series is S(N) = N(N+1)(N+2)/6.

Proof: True for N=1 (check it out).

S(N) - S(N-1) = N(N+1)[(N+2)-(N-1)]/6 = N(N+1)/2, the Nth term in
the sum.

By induction, the formula holds.

Oh yeah, to convince yourself that the Nth term is N(N+1)/2 :

The most obvious pattern I detect in the terms is that the Nth term
differs from the (N-1)th term by N, so the Nth term is the sum of
the first N integers. Using the same idea as above, N=1 checks, and

[N(N+1)/2] - [(N-1)N/2] = N[(N+1)-(N-1)]/2 = N.

Sorry for the length of this (well, maybe ... :-), but I have two
more observations.

Long ago I worked out a formula for summing the first N integers,
each raised to the Kth power (sum from I = 1 to N of [I to the K], in
clumsy ASCII notation :-), where K is a positive integer.  It
involves solving a linear set of equations with Pascal's triangle in
a triangular matrix; beautiful tidbit, or so I thought when I
discovered it.  With even the slightest bit of encouragement (DON'T
POST; mail only please) I could be pursuaded to post it, but I fear
it might be common knowledge.  Anyway, this formula is what I used to
find the answer to this problem (I had to re-derive it though).

The other observation. My crack about knowing the other terms in the
series was half serious. (Seriesly ... :-). Given any series
specified by a finite number of terms, it is trivially easy to
generate a closed form equation for an infinite number of other
series beginning with the same finite set of initial terms. So which
of all possible series is meant in any one case? It depends on being
able to recognize the pattern. Of course, I am presumptuous enough
to assume that I guessed the intent of this one. My formula works
for all of the given terms anyway 8^).

One more brief (?) closing comment: my original excursion into this
was triggered by elementary integration in beginner calculus. These
formulas can be used (without the fundamental theorem of calculus)
to integrate polynomials using the definition of integration as a
limiting sum of rectangles. Any calculus text I've seen has these
formulas for K=1,2, and 3, generally with little or no proof.

stark@sbcs.UUCP (Eugene Stark) (01/27/86)

> 	Can anyone deduce the sum of the following series after n terms?
>
> 	  1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 15 + 21 + .....
>
> --
>
>        	{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony
>         {ihnp4|decvax|utzoo|utcsrgv}!utcs!utzoo!utcsstat!anthony

Assuming that you want the sum of the first n triangular numbers:

		n   i
		--  --
		\   \
		/   /   j	=	n(n+1)(n+2)/6
		--  --
		i=1 j=1

You can derive this yourself if you use the fact that the sum

		\   k
		/  i
		--
		i=1

is a polynomial in n of order k+1.  Or, you can look up in a book
the sums for k = 1 and k = 2, namely n(n+1)/2 and n(n+1)(2n+1)/6.

					Gene Stark
					SUNY at Stony Brook

reichel@newton.DEC (01/28/86)

--------------------Reply to mail dated 24-JAN-1986 19:46--------------------

stephen@datacube.UUCP (01/28/86)

>	Can anyone deduce the sum of the following series after n terms?
>
>	  1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 15 + 21 + .....

Yeah, its: n*(n^2 + 3*n + 2)/6.

Stephen Watkins                    UUCP: ihnp4!datacube!stephen
Datacube Inc.; 4 Dearborn Rd.; Peabody, Ma. 01960; 617-535-6644

sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) (01/29/86)

Regarding the sum of the sums of the first k integers k goes from 1 to n:
How many out there solved it by considerring the volume contained in a
maximal corner of a cube of size n (the largest volume that you can get by
cutting off a corner of a cube without removing any other corners).
A little thought will make the relationship between the mathematical
and geometric entities obvious.  (Of course this is high school math
(I was doing this kind of stuff in high school anyway)).

--
-David Sher
sher@rochester

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (01/30/86)

>Regarding the sum of the sums of the first k integers k goes from 1 to n:
>How many out there solved it by considerring the volume contained in a
>maximal corner of a cube of size n (the largest volume that you can get by
>cutting off a corner of a cube without removing any other corners).
>A little thought will make the relationship between the mathematical
>and geometric entities obvious.  (Of course this is high school math
>(I was doing this kind of stuff in high school anyway)).

And how many solved it by:
 inverse finite differences?
 Newton interpolation?
 finding a cubic spline?
 undetermined coefficients?
 using Pade approximants?
 identifying the generating function?
 Euler-Maclaurin summation?
 running symbolic algebra software?
 looking it up in a book?
 recalling the answer instantly?

Who said the problem had to be easy?

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

>>	Can anyone deduce the sum of the following series after n terms?
>>	  1 + 3 + 6 + 10 + 15 + 21 + .....

>	I have a simple method that works for all series that can
> be expressed as polymonials.  I developed it on my own in High
> School, but I am sure that it is an accepted method (and that
> someone else has named it).  (Any pointers to books would be
> accepted - I like this stuff).
> 1   4  10   20   35   56   - First few sums
>   3   6   10   15   21     - Difference between adjacent sums (n^1)
>     3   4    5    6        - Difference between adjacent diffs (n^2)
>       1   1    1           - Difference between adjacent diffs (n^3)

     Ah, but would pointers to books be welcomed?  (:-)

     I  saw this  in one  of Martin Gardner's books, probably one of his
[N, N=1, 2, ...] th Book of Scientific American Mathematical Puzzles and
Diversions, or some such title.  You can probably find it by looking him
up  as an author  (Books  In  Print, or the  Author section of  the card
catalog).   It was  called the  Calculus of  Finite  Differences, and an
anecdote was told:

     "When I was [n, n~=10  to 15] years old, I noticed that if you took
the differences between the squares of the numbers, and  then again, you
got a constant.  I  showed this to my  father,  and  in his  good Quaker
English, he said, 'Why John, thee hast discovered the calculus of finite
differences.'" -- I forget who the speaker is in this quote.

     I did something similar:  I realized that  the  C of F D guaranteed
that  a cubic would be sufficient, but not remembering  the formula  and
not feeling like deriving it, I wrote out

  a +   b +  c + d = 1		[ from an^3+bn^2+cn+d = S, n=1 ]
 8a +  4b + 2c + d = 4		[ ... and n=2 ... ]
27a +  9b + 3c + d = 10		[ n=3 ]
64a + 16b + 4c + d = 20		[ n=4 ]

and solved....
--
					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
        mcvax!seismo!cmcl2!philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse

Hacker: One who accidentally destroys /
Wizard: One who recovers it afterward

cralle@lll-crg.ARpA (Bob Cralle) (02/03/86)

>     I did something similar:  I realized that  the  C of F D guaranteed
>that  a cubic would be sufficient, but not remembering  the formula  and
>not feeling like deriving it, I wrote out
>
>  a +   b +  c + d = 1		[ from an^3+bn^2+cn+d = S, n=1 ]
> 8a +  4b + 2c + d = 4		[ ... and n=2 ... ]
>27a +  9b + 3c + d = 10		[ n=3 ]
>64a + 16b + 4c + d = 20		[ n=4 ]

What is the next term in the series: 1 2 4 8 16 ... ?
If I told you I wanted 31 what would you say? Since, as has been pointed out,
I can make it what ever I want, what do I get by your method? (Thirty years
ago when I solved this, I justed differenced it.) At the end you may be
interested to see what the series comes from. As math types need MACSYMA
more than they sometimes admit I let it do all of the algebra.

(c3) a*n^5+b*n^4+c*n^3+d*n^2+e*n+f=g;

                       5      4      3      2
(d3)                a n  + b n  + c n  + d n  + e n + f = g
(c4) d3,n:1,g:1;
(d4)                       f + e + d + c + b + a = 1
(c5) d3,n:2,g:2;
(d5)                 f + 2 e + 4 d + 8 c + 16 b + 32 a = 2
(c6) d3,n:3,g:4;
(d6)                f + 3 e + 9 d + 27 c + 81 b + 243 a = 4
(c7) d3,n:4,g:8;
(d7)              f + 4 e + 16 d + 64 c + 256 b + 1024 a = 8
(c8) d3,n:5,g:16;
(d8)             f + 5 e + 25 d + 125 c + 625 b + 3125 a = 16
(c9) d3,n:6,g:31;
(d9)             f + 6 e + 36 d + 216 c + 1296 b + 7776 a = 31

(c10) solve([d4,d5,d6,d7,d8,d9]);
                             3      23        1      1
(d10)         [[f = 1, e = - -, d = --, c = - -, b = --, a = 0]]
                             4      24        4      24
(c13) d10[1];
                             3      23        1      1
(d13)          [f = 1, e = - -, d = --, c = - -, b = --, a = 0]
                             4      24        4      24
(c19) subst(":","=",d13);
                             3      23        1      1
(d19)          [f : 1, e : - -, d : --, c : - -, b : --, a : 0]
                             4      24        4      24
(c22) d3,d19;
                          4    3       2
                         n    n    23 n    3 n
(d22)                    -- - -- + ----- - --- + 1 = g
                         24   4     24      4

(c28) factor(lhs(d22));
                          4      3       2
                         n  - 6 n  + 23 n  - 18 n + 24
(d29)                    -----------------------------
                                      24
and so the series goes:

1 2 4 8 16 31 57 99 163 256 386 562...  [isn't the 256 curious--one late!]

What does the series represent? If you have n points on a circle & and you
connect every point to every other point the series gives the number of areas
those lines cut the circle into. (more than two lines intersecting at a point
not allowed.)

Anyone desirous of a copy of a paper I wrote on this subject & a proof, send
me your address.

--

Regards, &c., Bob		cralle@lll-crg

R. K. Cralle
LLNL        MS L-73
POX 808
Livermore, CA 94550

fone 415/422-4041
FTS  415/532-4041		<<< Facts are no match for belief >>>