[net.video] direct-broadcast satellites

knutsen@sri-unix (06/09/82)

Date: 29 May 1982 0121-PDT (Saturday)
From: lauren at UCLA-Security (Lauren Weinstein)
Subject: DBS vs. guns, bombs, and sheep
To: HOME-SAT at AI
Remailed-date:  8 Jun 1982 0017-PDT
Remailed-from: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff at SRI-CSL>
Remailed-to: HOME-SAT@SRI-CSL: ;
Via:  Su-Ai.ArpaNet; 8 Jun 82 0:47-PDT

Greetings.  As many of you are no doubt aware, there is considerable
interest (to say the least) in the U.S. regarding the deployment of
Direct Broadcast Satellites.   Unlike the existing C band birds,
these new high power units would operate at higher frequencies
(12 GHz.) and would be designed to transmit directly to very small
(~1 meter) dishes at subscribers' homes.  The fare to initially
be offered on these systems seems to mainly consist of the same sorts
of programming we see now on existing cable, STV, and MDS systems.
The "official" idea behind DBS is supposedly to better serve areas
of the country that are currently devoid of reasonable programming
sources, due to lack of local stations and/or cable systems.  However,
most of the proposals currently filed with the FCC seem to actually
be oriented more toward urban areas which are already well served
by a variety of program sources.  Some (not exactly unbiased) surveys
claim that half of all cable subscribers would drop off the cable
if given the chance to subscribe to DBS systems, and about 60%
of non-cabled households would join up.  Personally, I find these
figures to be highly unbelievable -- I would never give up basic
cable for 2 or 3 channels of premium fare.  And in fact, the monthly
fees being proposed for these (scrambled) DBS systems are higher than
the basic cost of cable including some 24 hour premium programming channels.

In any case, while it hasn't been talked about much, there is a chance
that the whole U.S. DBS effort may be severely shortcircuited by
purely political factors.  (This would not exactly upset the
National Association of Broadcasters -- which hates DBS as a threat
to local broadcasters [and I'm not so sure that I disagree with all
of their arguments!])  There are currently a variety of DBS proposals
before the Commission ... a number of which have been provisionally
accepted.  However, the Commission is proposing that any early
approval of such systems would have to be "interim only", since the whole
issue of sprectrum allocation for DBS and other services will come
up at the Regional Administrative Radio Conference (RARC) next year.

RARC is a meeting of Western Hemisphere nations where spectrum allocations
are debated and allocated.  In relation to satellite services, the
big problem is that geosynchronous satellite space is very limited,
and a number of countries must share that same space.  The "developing"
countries are very concerned that countries such as the U.S. will
"use up" most of that space before they are ready to launch their
own birds in the future.  The protests of these countries cannot
be ignored, unless RARC is disbanded and "free for all" becomes the
order of the day.

How do bombs, guns, and sheep fit in?  The Latin American countries
have never been exactly happy about the way the U.S. has planned
to use the spectrum, and a very colorful session at RARC has always
been expected.  However, it appears that the Falklands situation has
the potential to make the situation MUCH worse.  Anti-American
feeling is getting worse than ever in much of Latin America, and no
doubt will remain to some extent even once the dispute has been
"settled".  Of course, it could be worse, right?  Right.  It is.
Did I mention where the 1983 RARC is to be held?  One guess.
Buenos Airies!  Hmmm.

DBS is an exciting concept, but it is beginning to become increasingly
clear that political elements could damage or even scuttle many of
the existing DBS plans.  The real world comes home again.

--Lauren--