[net.math] A simple group theory problem

sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) (01/30/86)

I have been bothered for some time (so long that I don't remember when
I thought of it) by a relatively simple group theory problem.  I will
try to define it unambiguously.  Consider the operation multiply on
Z sub n (integers mod n).  Consider the set of integers less than n
relatively prime to n including 1.  This set when combined with the
operation of multiplication mod n is a group with identity 1.  Call
this group the multiplicative group of n.  Here is the problem: Is
every abelian (commutative) group the multiplicative group of some
number n?  Random facts that seem relevant are that the multiplicative
group of every prime p might be (I'm not sure I remember this right)
isomorphic to the cyclic group in p - 1 elements.  Also the
multiplicative group of 8 is not cyclic but generated by two
generators of size (I know I got this word wrong but you understand me
if not work out the group yourself) 2. I accept mail or you can post
if you think your answer is of general interest.

--
-David Sher
sher@rochester

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/01/86)

In article <14907@rochester.UUCP> sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) writes:
>                                           Here is the problem: Is
>every abelian (commutative) group the multiplicative group of some
>number n?

For n>2, -1 != 1 mod n.  But (-1)^2 = 1, so every such group for n>2
contains an element of order 2.  Thus the cyclic group of order 3, for
example, cannot be such a group.

A much harder approach (ie the one I first tried) is to find out what
every such group looks like.  The random facts you quoted are part of
that method.  See T Apostol, _Introduction to Analytic Number Theory_
for a nice low-key discussion.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

ka@hropus.UUCP (Kenneth Almquist) (02/04/86)

David Sher poses a problem which I will interpret as follows:
	Given an integer n > 1, the set of all positive integers less
	than n whose greatest common denominator with n is 1 form a
	group under the operation of multiplication modulo n.  David
	calls this group the muliplicative group of n, and asks whether
	there exists a finite abelian group which is not isomorphic to
	the multiplicative group of some n.

I contend that the cyclic group of order 3 is such a group.  This group
has 3 elements, and I will prove that no multiplicative group contains
3 elements.

Clearly the multiplicative group of n will contain less than 3 elements
if n <= 3.  If n > 3, then the multiplicative group of n must contain 1
and n-1, which will be distict.  Therefore, a multiplicative group with
3 elements must contain exactly one element in addition to 1 and n-1.
Call this element p.

Now consider n-p.  Clearly, this cannot be 1, or p would be equal to
n-1, which we have assumed it does not.  Similarly, n-p cannot equal
n-1.  Finally, n-p cannot equal p, for if it did, n would equal 2p, and
thus p would not be relatively prime to n.  Therefore, if our group is
to contain exactly 3 elements, n-p cannot be relatively prime to n.

Let g > 1 be the greatest common denominator of n and p-n.  Then for
some integers i and j,
	n-p = ig
	n = jg
It follows that
	p = (j-i)g
which contradicts our assumption that p is relatively prime to n.  Since
our assumption that a multiplicative group with 3 elements leads to
this contradiction, we conclude that there is no such group.

I have just noticed that this proof can be extended to show that no
multiplicative group has an odd number of elements.
				Kenneth Almquist
				ihnp4!houxm!hropus!ka	(official name)
				ihnp4!opus!ka		(shorter path)