[net.math] Abuse on the net

johnf@apollo.uucp (John Francis) (02/06/86)

I was disapointed (although not suprised) to see abuse piled on the head
of Tom Duff for his comments on an earlier diatribe. I felt that the tone
of his message was astonishingly constrained, and that he made a cogent
analysis of the attitude shown by other contributors to this newsgroup
(an analysis only too well confirmed by later submissions).
If this is the Tom Duff that I think it is then he knows what he is
talking about - he probably has a better knowledge of mathematics than
most of the other contributors to this newsgroup, and has found the
synergy between mathematics and computer science so often lacking in
this industry. If you don't believe me, just attend the next conference
where he is giving a paper and listen with an open mind.

And before people start attacking ME for not knowing mathematics or
computer science - I have a degree in mathematics from Cambridge
University, and fourteen years experience in the computer industry.

brad@gcc-milo.ARPA (Brad Parker) (02/07/86)

In article <2bc83cf6.917@apollo.uucp> johnf@apollo.uucp (John Francis) writes:
>I was disapointed (although not suprised) to see abuse piled on the head
>of Tom Duff for his comments on an earlier diatribe. I felt that the tone
>of his message was astonishingly constrained, and that he made a cogent
>analysis of the attitude shown by other contributors to this newsgroup

I agree with this. I found his submission interesting and imformative.
I'm suprised that people took issue with it.

(Now Tom, how about some nice pictures to elucidate your point ;-)
--

J Bradford Parker
General Computer (HyperDrive Beach)

"She said, 'Just drive.'" -heard on the radio.

In article <2bc83cf6.917@apollo.uucp> johnf@apollo.uucp (John Francis) writes:
>If this is the Tom Duff that I think it is then he knows what he is
>talking about ...
>And before people start attacking ME for not knowing mathematics or
>computer science - I have a degree in mathematics from Cambridge
>University, and fourteen years experience in the computer industry.

I don't see how anyone can guess whether you know mathematics or not
-- you used NO mathematics in your article.  That is the trouble
with "appeal to authority" arguments.

If Duff said that (-a)/b = -(a/b) by definition, then he was wrong.
In the discussion to which he was contributing, integer (truncating)
division, and remainder vs. modulo, was the topic.  The "definition"
applies when one is talking about a field or division ring, but that
is not the case under discussion.  The "/" symbol does not mean the
same thing for integer division as it does for division of reals,
and indeed under the best choice of rules the above equation does
not hold.  I already posted a reference to Knuth, whose discussion
everyone should read before commenting further on this topic.