[net.video] Double Speed with Sound

kim@ihuxn.UUCP (Ken Mandelberg) (07/27/84)

I notice that several of the Beta-Hifi vcrs have the feature of
(pitch adjusted) sound in 2X mode. None of the VHS-Hifi units
seem to have this feature.

Does anyone know why?

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (07/29/84)

From:	ihuxn!kim           27-Jul-1984 06:28:46

> I notice that several of the Beta-Hifi vcrs have the feature of
> (pitch adjusted) sound in 2X mode. None of the VHS-Hifi units
> seem to have this feature.
> Does anyone know why?

I don't know for sure, but I would assume that it's due to the method the VHS
machines use to lay down the tracks. The Betamax is extremely simple and effi-
cient --- it only uses two heads to do everything it needs to do (except for the
longitudinal mono sound track, which has its own fixed head). The VHS machines
seem to need extra heads for any special that it needs to do. I would guess that
to reproduce pitch-adjusted sound at 2X speed would require yet *another* pair
of heads on the drum, bringing the total upwards to nine(!)

Whenever you consider how much cheaper a VHS machine might be compared to a Beta
(low-end Betas are just as cheap as low-end VHS's, and high-end VHS's are just
as expensive as high-end Betas), think about the money you'll be shelling out if
you ever have to have work done on the head-drum assembly.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (08/03/84)

[*]
I'm not an expert, but I think youse guys have missed something:
Fast play with normal pitch sound should be no big deal for either
Beta or VHS. THe sound in both is picked up by spinning heads
WHICH DONT CHANGE SPEED. THe tape is pulled thru faster, so some
tracks are skipped - both video and audio, but those played are
played at the same old speed-hence, no pitch chamnge/restoration
is involved. Not so with old fashioned video-audio because the sound
is on the longitudinal track which speeds up when you go ffwd or
whatever.  Dick Grantges hound!rfg

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (08/04/84)

I bet you recorded the 20 minute work out and played it back at
2X so you could get it done in ten minutes.

-Ron