[net.math] number jokes

rjmoulton@watnot.UUCP (Robert Moulton) (02/17/86)

Here's a prime example of a number joke:  31

A perfect example would be: 28 or even better is 496.

For those of you who like transcendental jokes: e.

For those who like irrational jokes try: 3^.5

But there are those who want jokes to be rational, I suggest they try 5/3.

I think people in

I think people in jail would like number 6  [think about it]

Some people prefer really complex jokes such as: (-1)^.5

I wish I could figure out how to use my editor!!!

                                   Robert Moulton
                                   University of Waterloo
:
:
::
:
I think people is jail would like number 6 {think about it}

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (02/19/86)

In article <11487@watnot.UUCP> rjmoulton@watnot.UUCP (Robert Moulton) writes:
>I think people in jail would like number 6  [think about it]

I've thought about it, but can't decipher it.  Anybody care to clue me in?
I would think convicts would prefer large primes (because they can be
used as keys).

Do you like the joke 288?
	Naw, that's "two gross".
--

 /''`\						Andre Guirard
([]-[])						High Weasel

rchrd@well.UUCP (Richard Friedman) (02/21/86)

In article <11487@watnot.UUCP> rjmoulton@watnot.UUCP (Robert Moulton) writes:
>Here's a prime example of a number joke:  31
>I think people in jail would like number 6  [think about it]
>Some people prefer really complex jokes such as: (-1)^.5

My daughter asked my why 6 was worried.  Reply: because 7 8 9.

--

    ...Richard Friedman [rchrd]
       Pacific-Sierra Research

       USENET:  {lll-crg,ptsfa,hplabs}!well!rchrd

cs2532bn@unmc.UUCP (Mr. Modem) (02/21/86)

In article <> rjmoulton@watnot.UUCP (Robert Moulton) writes:
>Here's a prime example of a number joke:  31

	.
	.
	.

>Some people prefer really complex jokes such as: (-1)^.5
>

>I wish I could figure out how to use my editor!!!
>

>                                   Robert Moulton
>                                   University of Waterloo

I wish you could figure out how to use your brain....sense of humor....
give me a minute, I'll come up with some more.

Stefan Chakerian						 CIS: 74365,231
                 {ucbvax|pur-ee|csu-cs|convex|nmtvax|lanl} unmvax!unmc!cs2532bn

This is my girlfriend:  ~.
Her name is Tilde.

asw@rlvd.UUCP (Antony Williams) (02/21/86)

In article <522@mmm.UUCP> cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) writes:
>In article <11487@watnot.UUCP> rjmoulton@watnot.UUCP (Robert Moulton) writes:
>>I think people in jail would like number 6  [think about it]
>
>I've thought about it, but can't decipher it.  Anybody care to clue me in?

This sentance has three erors.
			credit to Douglas R Hofstadter Jr.

Tony Williams					|Informatics Division
UK JANET:	asw@uk.ac.rl.vd			|Rutherford Appleton Lab
Usenet:		{... | mcvax}!ukc!rlvd!asw	|Chilton, Didcot
ARPAnet:	asw%rl.vd@ucl-cs.arpa		|Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

percus@acf4.UUCP (Allon G. Percus) (02/22/86)

> >I think people in jail would like number 6  [think about it]
>
> I've thought about it, but can't decipher it.  Anybody care to clue me in?

I think the implied joke refers to the British television series "The
Prisoner," in which the prisoner has the number "6" in The Village, a
surrealistic place where he is imprisoned.

At least, this was what immediately came to my mind.

           .
        -------
        |-----|             A. G. Percus
        |II II|      (ARPA) percus@acf4
        |II II|       (NYU) percus.acf4
        |II II|      (UUCP) ...{allegra!ihnp4!seismo}!cmcl2!acf4!percus
        |II II|
        -------

            Gallifrey is "Yerfillag" backwards.

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/24/86)

In article <1119@rlvd.UUCP> asw@rlvd.UUCP (Antony Williams) writes:
>This sentance has three erors.
>			credit to Douglas R Hofstadter Jr.

That joke is a *lot* older than DRH.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

glenn@anasazi.UUCP (Glenn Ehrlich) (02/25/86)

In article <522@mmm.UUCP> cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) writes:
>In article <11487@watnot.UUCP> rjmoulton@watnot.UUCP (Robert Moulton) writes:
>>I think people in jail would like number 6  [think about it]
>
>I've thought about it, but can't decipher it.  Anybody care to clue me in?

That one is easy.  6 was the "number" of the Prisoner, Patrick McGoohan's
pseudo-sequel to his series Secret Agent.  The show was called "The Prisoner",
and was about the imprisonment of a secret agent after he resigned.  No. 6, as
he was called, ultimately escaped, which to a person in a jail, must certainly
be a good omen.

Glenn Ehrlich