[net.video] Beta L-830 tape

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (09/15/84)

> From:	uwvax!neves           11-Sep-1984 13:28:13
>
> Anyone have experience with ... 830 tape (the
> 5 hour Beta tape)?  Is 3 hour tape going to last longer or give
> better quality than 5 hour tape?

Well, there doesn't really seem to be a detectable difference in quality between
the different length tapes. However, from all that I've read, the consensus ap-
pears to be that the L-830 tape is thinner than is really desirable. I use it to
"archive" things that I'd like to save, but won't watch too often, but otherwise
I'll stay with the L-500 or L-750 lengths. At the Beta-III speed, the L-750 is
4-1/2 hours, which should be good enough for most purposes. Unless that extra
half-hour is really crucial, you're better off with the L-750.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

mikey@trsvax.UUCP (09/19/84)

Don't run 830 tapes in the SL-7200 or SL-8200 machines.  The mechanism
must be in very good adjustment to avoid eating the tape.
I speak from experience.

mikey at trsvax