[net.video] If one is good....

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (09/27/84)

> From:	ritcv!jeh           [Jim Heliotis]

> Also, did you consider that maybe one machine should probably be
> portable?  Even if you never get a camera, I find it convenient to
> carry over a portable VCR to a friend's house, bring a battery, and
> leave the tuner/timer at home.  This decision should not conflict
> with the other one, though.  Most portables are high-quality units
> with lots of features (except for Hi-Fi?).

Ah, have you ever hefted a Beta Hi-Fi SL-2700?? It may have larger dimensions
than "portable" VCRs, but it's not really cumbersome, and its weight is low
enough that I consider it as portable as any piece of audio/video equipment I
have. *And* it has Hi-Fi!

> As an extraneous comment, I'd like to blast the person who said that
> Beta technology has been haphazard.  The worst thing he/she said is that
> BI BII and BIII speeds are not simple proportions. They are! Just like
> SP, LP, & EP(SLP). An L-750 plays for 1.5, 3, or 4.5 hours, depending
> on the speed.  Perhaps he/she was thinking about the bizarre L-830 which
> pushes BIII to 5 hours.

But the L-830 is just as simple a proportion as the L-500 or L-750! At Beta-II,
it yields 2n minutes, and at Beta-III, 3n minutes, where n=100. And the ratios
of the numbers to tape lengths (in minutes) is the same:

830/500 ~= 200/120	830/750 ~= 200/180	750/500 = 180/120

(all time figures are at Beta-II speed).

The numbers 500, 750, and 830 are derived from the length of the tape in feet.

A good reason for the L-830's existence is that many movies are ~100 minutes
long, so a tape length in 100 minute increments makes for optimal tape usage.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA