[net.math] Poincare Conjecture Solved?

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/23/86)

The following news is from R C Kirby.  C Rourke and E Rego have
announced a proof of the Poincare conjecture in dimension three.
Believe it or not their proof is rather classical (handlebody
decomposition, etc.)  Lickorish has not checked all the details,
but he likes what he has seen.

(Many false proofs have been announced before, I should add.)

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

rpt@warwick.UUCP (Richard Tomlinson) (02/26/86)

In article <11972@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:
>The following news is from R C Kirby.  C Rourke and E Rego have
>announced a proof of the Poincare conjecture in dimension three.

Does anyone have a reference to an article on this?
Is it the same C Rourke as the one here?
--

        ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!rpt