[net.math] Value of Computer Science degree

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) (03/08/86)

In article <1182@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU>, gds@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Greg Skinner) writes:
> In article <3850042@csd2.UUCP>, sykora@csd2.UUCP (Michael Sykora) writes:
> > Is this notion not based on Church's Thesis, which, while there is
> > a great deal of evidence to support it, is not mathematically provable?
> >
> > Mike Sykora
>
> This is true, however most of the objections to Church's Thesis,
> Godel's Incompleteness Theorem, etc. are that they are not yet an
> accepted branch of mathematics.

No, this is not true. And there are no objections I am aware of
to Goedel's Theorems. There cannot be to any *theorems*.
The point of Church's Thesis is that it cannot be proved, although
it may be refuted.

> Any future discussion on Church/Turing, uncomputability, etc., will be
> done in net.math.

You're optimistic. Last time it arose the net police turned out
in force on net.math and net.ai. In both places the reaction
was inexcusable.

Peter Ladkin