[net.video] unrecordable video??

btc@hp-pcd.UUCP (btc) (02/02/85)

The following has been extracted from HUMAN-NETS Digest V8 #3 (1/30/85).

> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 85 13:12 EST
> From: Kahin@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
> Subject: MIT Communications Forum Seminars
> To: Telecom@USC-ECLC.ARPA,
> To:      *bboard@MIT-MC.ARPA, DEPhillips@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
>
> MIT Communications Forum seminars are held on Thursdays from 4:00 to
> 6:00 in the Marlar Lounge (Bldg.  37-252, MIT, 70 Vassar St.,
> Cambridge)
>

> Unrecordable Video
>
> March 14, 1985
>
> Andrew Lippman, MIT
> John Woodbury, National Cable Television Association
> Speaker to be announced
>

> Although motion picture producers depend increasingly on
> revenue from television and home video, the spectacular growth of
> videocassette recorders has provoked fears that much potential
> revenue will be lost.  The Electronic Publishing group of MIT's
> Media Laboratory has developed a way of generating television
> transmissions that can be viewed but not taped.  This seminar
> will present the technology, and industry representatives will
> discuss the possible effects on distribution practices.

Anyone have any info on how this can be done?

				Bob Clark
				Hewlett-Packard PCD
				Corvallis, OR

			{ucbvax!hplabs, harpo, ogcvax}!hp-pcd!btc

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (02/04/85)

There are a variety of procedures, mostly involving screwing around
with the sync.  Unfortunately, these also render the picture unviewable
on some televisions.  It is difficult to conceive of a "copyguard"
system that wouldn't be vulnerable to fairly simplistic processing
(such as by a proc amp in the simplest case).

Clearly, since the picture has to be viewable on a standard
television, it would always be possible to process the video
to allow taping.

--Lauren--

karn@petrus.UUCP (02/04/85)

> Anyone have any info on how this can be done?
In the past, this has been done by modifying the sync pulses such
that they're still good enough for a TV, but not good enough for the
servos in a VCR. This is the "Copyguard" technique.  Such a system
can be easily defeated with a common device in the TV station called
a "processing amplifier" or "proc amp" for short. It regenerates the
sync signals back to their standard form.  I suspect that the scheme
described here will be similar.

Attempting to make signals displayable on TVs but not recordable seems
doomed to failure. Even without proc amps, one could always record
after a fashion by simply pointing a camera at the screen!

Phil

mikey@trsvax.UUCP (02/06/85)

I suspect that broadcasting a signal that was out of spec to try to
control recording would be doomed to failure.  First off, I wouldn't
record it for "time shift viewing" so I couldn't even see the commercials
at a later time.  I'm sure that the sponsors will care about this.  Late
night movies broadcast this way might loose some of there value to
the advertisers.  Secondly, what about the legal implications of broadcasting
a signal that was deliberately out of spec?

mikey at trsvax

karn@petrus.UUCP (02/09/85)

Certain broadcasters have been transmitting TV signals that are
"out of spec" for many years now -- in the form of scrambled
subscription television (STV) services. There are some implications
involved in running TV transmitters under these conditions, though.

The typical UHF TV klystron is very nonlinear. A lot of signal processing
and pre-distortion goes on before the signal is fed to the transmitter
so that it comes out looking "right". In particular, the power gain
of the tubes falls off rapidly as the transmitter is driven to peak
power, so the sync signals have to be greatly "stretched" to make the
proper sync levels at the output. This doesn't hurt much in a "normal"
signal, since the nonlinearity is in a "digital" portion of the signal
where it won't do much damage.

With the scrambling schemes, however, you have to be careful about several
things. The first is that power peaks no longer occur during horizontal
sync, but during the active picture interval (this is why the picture
tears on a set without a decoder -- it sees peak picture information as false
sync.) This means that you've got to work extra hard at linearizing
the transmitter near its peak power output. The second factor is that if
the coding sinewave is allowed to combine with the equalizing pulses (the
"hammerhead" in the center of the vertical interval) the transmitter would
be overdriven. That's why they turn off the coding signal during the
vertical interval, and why the picture generally doesn't tear vertically
on a set without a decoder.

On cable TV systems these high power linearity considerations don't apply,
so they are free to encode the vertical interval. They can also hide
the decoding signal somewhere else in the cable spectrum; it doesn't
have to be within the same 6 MHz TV channel.

Phil