[net.video] vcr from cable question

bea@alice.UUCP (Bea Chambers) (02/21/85)

Before we had cable, we were able to watch one channel and record from another.
When we switched to cable, we rented a 2nd cable box which let us watch
1 channel and record from another. However, the 2nd box never gave as clear a picture
as the 'main' box plus I had to pay a monthly charge for that 2nd box which was
annoying. So we gave up on that. Is there anything we can buy to let
us record from one channel and watch another with cable? I have seen signal
splitters for sale but I think we need something to set the recording channel number.
This newsgroup is new for me so if this has been discussed, I apologize in
advance. Thanks for any help.

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/25/85)

In article <3404@alice.UUCP> bea@alice.UUCP (Bea Chambers) writes:
>Before we had cable, we were able to watch one channel and record from another.
>When we switched to cable, we rented a 2nd cable box which let us watch
>1 channel and record from another. However, the 2nd box never gave as clear a picture
>as the 'main' box plus I had to pay a monthly charge for that 2nd box which was
>annoying. So we gave up on that. Is there anything we can buy to let
>us record from one channel and watch another with cable? I have seen signal
>splitters for sale but I think we need something to set the recording channel number.

  I have the following setup:

	     | Signal from cable
      -----------------
      |signal splitter|
      -----------------
	|          |
	|     -------------
	|     | cable box |
	|     -------------
	|          |
	V (A)      V (B)
       ---------------
       |A/B   switch |
       ---------------

	  -------
	  | VCR |
	  -------

	  -------
	  |  TV |
	  -------

  This works since my TV is cable ready and it can get the cable signal
without going through the cable box. When the A/B switch is in the A
position, I can record one cable channel and watch another, AS LONG AS
they are not scrambled (like HBO which comes scrambled and needs to be
de-scrambled by the cable box).
  Therefore, when I want to watch (or record) HBO, I switch the A/B switch
to B (which enables the cable box) and tune to channel 3. In this case
(recording/watching HBO) I can not watch a different station (unless I go and
change the wiring by hand), but that's OK since I don't record from HBO
on a regular basis.
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell