[net.video] Help needed - foreign standards

mats@dual.UUCP (Mats Wichmann) (04/22/85)

I just returned from a trip to China (PRC), and I need to
supply some video tapes over there, if possible. Brings
up the lovely question of what standards they adhere to.
There was some mention that it might be the same as the
French use, except maybe a bit different. Nobody really
seemed to know. So two questions:

1) Does anyone know what video standards the Chinese use?
2) Does anyone have access to equipment that might aid us
   in doing a conversion from the tapes we have.
   This is part of a commercial venture, I am not asking for
   any freebies.

I think replies directly to me would be more appropriate
than to the net...

Thanks for any help you can provide,

	    Mats Wichmann
	    Dual Systems Corp.
	    ...{ucbvax,amd,ihnp4,cbosgd,decwrl,fortune}!dual!mats

davew@shark.UUCP (Dave Williams) (04/23/85)

In article <989@dual.UUCP> mats@dual.UUCP (Mats Wichmann) writes:
>I just returned from a trip to China (PRC), and I need to
>supply some video tapes over there, if possible. Brings
>up the lovely question of what standards they adhere to.
>There was some mention that it might be the same as the
>French use, except maybe a bit different. Nobody really
>seemed to know. So two questions:
>
>1) Does anyone know what video standards the Chinese use?
>2) Does anyone have access to equipment that might aid us
>   in doing a conversion from the tapes we have.
>   This is part of a commercial venture, I am not asking for
>   any freebies.
>
>I think replies directly to me would be more appropriate
>than to the net...
>
>Thanks for any help you can provide,
>
>	    Mats Wichmann
>	    Dual Systems Corp.
>	    ...{ucbvax,amd,ihnp4,cbosgd,decwrl,fortune}!dual!mats

According to our crack TV marketing group that has sold equipment
into the PRC, the TV standard they are using is PAL-D. This is
similar to what Western Europe, except France, is using. The -D
standard uses a wider video to aural spacing for more video
bandwidth plus more group delay pre-correction. This involves
the transmitted signal only and the base band signal is identical
to European PAL. Tapes recorded on a PAL machine will work in
China. They use 625 line, 25 fps interlaced. Power mains are
generally 220 VAC, 50 Hz and a European power cord will usually
work if you have to send them hardware.
There are a number of duplicating companies in the LA area that
can dupe tapes to this format. I suggest looking in an LA
Yellow Pages directory.
--

                                    Dave Williams
                                    Tektronix, Inc.