[net.video] camera evaluation

adv@druid.UUCP (DeVossA) (05/07/85)

I'ld like to share an equipment evaluation
I did this past week which may shed some light
on camera as well as VCR capabilities.

I demo'ed a Panasonic WV3240-12X industrial quality camera

The camera's specs are:
lines of resolution:350
signal/noise(video luminance):46db
lens:f2.0 with 12x zoom 10-120mm
2/3 inch 5MHZ newvicon tube
minimum illumination:20 lux
auto/manual iris
auto/manual white balance
variable tint
video titler and other non-esential whistles and bells

The camera I was comparing it with (and own) is a sony CCD-G5:

lines of resolution:250
luminance:46db
lens:f1.4 with 6x zoom 12-72mm
minimum illumination:28 lux
ccd solid state pickup element
auto/manual white balance
one whistle and one bell

The discovery I made was that with the luminance the same,
the lines of resolution made little impact on the picture quality.
In fact the Sony had a lower background noise level and had richer colors.
The lighting, recorder(Magnavox portable) and tape type(TDK-EHG)
were identical.

Am I missing something obvious or does the difference of 100 lines
of resolution make little difference in picture quality?
Looking at industrial/pro camera specs the figures that
creep up are the luminance ratings as well as lines of resolution.

Portable VHS and Beta Hi-Fi's have an average luminance
of around 40db. RCA boasts 45db.
The evaluation of Sony's super beta at CBS test labs(Video Review's
June issue) rated it at 40.2db.
Apparently for compatibility reasons Sony chose not to
improve the video signal to noise.
way to make super beta compatible.

results in comparing camera's or care to comment?

Should I be looking at a better VCR to improve the quality of my shots?

			Andrew DeVoss
                          druid!adv

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (05/09/85)

In article <917@druid.UUCP> adv@druid.UUCP (DeVossA) writes:

>I demo'ed a Panasonic WV3240-12X industrial quality camera
>lines of resolution:350
>signal/noise(video luminance):46db
>The camera I was comparing it with (and own) is a sony CCD-G5:
>lines of resolution:250
>luminance:46db
>
>The discovery I made was that with the luminance the same,
>the lines of resolution made little impact on the picture quality.
>In fact the Sony had a lower background noise level and had richer colors.
>The lighting, recorder(Magnavox portable) and tape type(TDK-EHG)
>were identical.
>
>Am I missing something obvious or does the difference of 100 lines
>of resolution make little difference in picture quality?
>Looking at industrial/pro camera specs the figures that
>creep up are the luminance ratings as well as lines of resolution.
>
>Portable VHS and Beta Hi-Fi's have an average luminance
>of around 40db. RCA boasts 45db.

It looks like you have just demonstrated that both cameras are as good
or better than your recorder, and you know nothing about relative
differences between the cameras.  The specs seem to bear this out:
the recorder's S/N is worse than either camera, and I believe most
existing 1/2 inch VCR's have a video bandwidth that gives about 250 lines
of resolution.  Superbeta might reveal a difference between the cameras
since its bandwidth is greater.  Provided, of course, that your monitor
has the bandwidth to display the difference.

Just for contrast, the 3-tube portable cameras you see being used
at sporting events and fires and conventions have resolutions at the
centre of the image in the 600-line range.  NTSC is capable of much
better images than you usually see.

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (05/14/85)

> I'ld like to share an equipment evaluation
> I did this past week which may shed some light
> on camera as well as VCR capabilities.
>
> I demo'ed a Panasonic WV3240-12X industrial quality camera
>

> The discovery I made was that with the luminance the same,
> the lines of resolution made little impact on the picture quality.
> In fact the Sony had a lower background noise level and had richer colors.
> The lighting, recorder(Magnavox portable) and tape type(TDK-EHG)
> were identical.
>
> Am I missing something obvious or does the difference of 100 lines
> of resolution make little difference in picture quality?
> Looking at industrial/pro camera specs the figures that
> creep up are the luminance ratings as well as lines of resolution.

> way to make super beta compatible.

> results in comparing camera's or care to comment?
>
> Should I be looking at a better VCR to improve the quality of my shots?
>
> 			Andrew DeVoss
>                           druid!adv

Well, the most important part of this comparison is that one of the
two cameras had a Nuvicon tube in it.  The comparison should have
stopped there.  As I stated in a previous posting, Nuvicon cameras
stink -- no two ways about it.

They are prone to noise and distortion that is NOT listed in the
spec's - namely, the sawtooth-edge.  This causes vertical lines
to have a sawtooth-like distortion along the trailing (right-most)
edge of the test pattern.

Try your test again with a low-light Saticon camera.

Gary