[net.video] Public Access T.V.

[.............]

What's the story on Public Access channels on cable?  I recently got
the impression that cable companies, by law, have to provide a public
access channel.  Is this true?  All companies or just certain ones?
And, is anything interesting going on on these channels?

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

dwl10@amdahl.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (05/22/85)

> What's the story on Public Access channels on cable?  I recently got
> the impression that cable companies, by law, have to provide a public
> access channel.  Is this true?  All companies or just certain ones?
> And, is anything interesting going on on these channels?
> Keith Doyle

I believe that the "public access" channels are regulated by local
regulations. Since almost all cable franchises are delt out by city or
county governments, our law makers saw fit to give us our own 15 min.
of glory on cable TV.
Actually, the local access on our cable system has two types of
shows. There are the locally produced exercise and talk shows, and
then there are the "special interest shows"
The locally produced shows are of poor quality, and are usually of
little interest, but the "special interest shows" can be very interesting.
These consist of anyone who can put a tape together that isn't
obscene or libalous (sp?). There are alot of religous
shows, that are produced by the church's headquarters, then an ad is
tacked on to the front and end for the local congregation. There
are other locally produced special interest shows that are very
funny, altho they were never intended to be humerous.
The cable company will provide equiptment and editing facilities
for any "bonifide" group wishing to produce a show.

The local access channel is a good place to turn to while waiting
for the comercials on another station.
                               Dave Lowrey

"To vacillate or not to vacillate, that is the question....
 ....or is it?"
                                ...!(<sun,cbosgd,ihnp4}!amdahl!dwl10

[ The opinions expressed <may> be those of the author and not necessarily
  those of his most eminent employer. ]

stadlin@hou2h.UUCP (Art Stadlin) (05/23/85)

> What's the story on Public Access channels on cable?
> And, is anything interesting going on on these channels?
>
> Keith Doyle
> #  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd

The cable TV company serving our area provides one "local" channel
where they cablecast local events such as auto races, parades,
5-mile runs, etc.   They do a good job and I am happy with their efforts.

BUT... Here's what I would like to see on the local channel when
the regular programming is over:

Mount a camera and microphone on a utility pole high enough to be out
of reach.  Then feed the audio and video signal onto the cable channel.
The utility pole chosen should be in an area with lots of pedestrian
traffic.  Then there would always be something to watch.  This camera
would also provide the ultimate "public access."   Anyone who wanted
to could "perform" for the audience.  Citizens could make impromptu
speeches, state opinions, sing a song, or whatever.  Everyone could have
an opportunity to be on TV!
--
  \\\
   \\\\                                  Art Stadlin

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/23/85)

>From: stadlin@hou2h.UUCP (Art Stadlin)
>
>BUT... Here's what I would like to see on the local channel when
>the regular programming is over:
>
>Mount a camera and microphone on a utility pole high enough to be out
>of reach.  Then feed the audio and video signal onto the cable channel.
>The utility pole chosen should be in an area with lots of pedestrian
>traffic.  Then there would always be something to watch.  This camera
>would also provide the ultimate "public access."   Anyone who wanted
>to could "perform" for the audience.  Citizens could make impromptu
>speeches, state opinions, sing a song, or whatever.  Everyone could have
>an opportunity to be on TV!

You'd also have a lot of people mooning, flashing, cursing and doing
whatever else people can do to achieve maximum "exposure" (shock value) to
a maximum audience.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

nose@nbires.UUCP (Steve Dunn) (05/23/85)

Here in Colorado I understand that it is a law that public access
channels have to be provided. I'm not sure exactly what the rules are,
but I recently found out that the cable companies not only have to
provide you with air time but also with equipment to make your show.
This includes camera & recorder plus time on professional editing
equipment. So if you want to make your own TV show this would be worth
checking out!

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/24/85)

> Here in Colorado I understand that it is a law that public access
> channels have to be provided. I'm not sure exactly what the rules are,
> but I recently found out that the cable companies not only have to
> provide you with air time but also with equipment to make your show.
> This includes camera & recorder plus time on professional editing
> equipment. So if you want to make your own TV show this would be worth
> checking out!

Seems to me that it's probably a good idea for them anyway because
our cable company has a hard time coming up with their own programming
even for their inhouse channel.

-Ron