[net.video] sony beta help

cower@columbia.UUCP (Rich Cower) (06/04/85)

anyone know the differences between the sony slh300, slh30 and the
slh90? i'm considering a non-portable beta deck and would be
interested in any comments. i'd like to get one just before the
super-beta format hits the stores, since prices may be down
then.

thanks...rich

douglas@noscvax.UUCP (Douglas S. Dickerson) (06/05/85)

In article <682@columbia.UUCP> cower@columbia.UUCP (Rich Cower) writes:
>anyone know the differences between the sony slh300, slh30 and the
>slh90? i'm considering a non-portable beta deck and would be
>interested in any comments. i'd like to get one just before the
>super-beta format hits the stores, since prices may be down
>then.

	The SLH300 is Beta Hi-Fi; the 30 and 90 are 'Hi-Fi Ready',
requiring an additional device to become Hi-Fi.  You should be able to
find a good price on the 300 as it is already advertised in the LA Times
as low as $470 ($499 typical).  A step up is the SLH500 (not seen very
often) which apparently has an additional video head (3 total) for clear
freeze frame and a direct access tuner so it is not necessary to pretune
the channels.

	I've had a SLH300 for 3 months and have been very satisfied
with the quality of video and especially *audio* recording.  When
connected to my JVC receiver and Cizek speakers, the audio is awesome.
We still have a good selection of Beta rental videos in SoCal (a Where-
house store manager told me they order in an 8-5 ratio), so access has
not been a problem.  Like everyone else, I was worried about the lifespan
of the Beta format and so used a JVC HR130 on a 7-day home trial.  I was
very disappointed with the quality of the video recording, especially in
the EP (6-hour) mode.  The JVC decks record *only* in 2 and 6-hour mode.
When I found the SLH300 was approximately the same cost, with Hi-Fi and
more features, the choice was obvious.  *So far* I have not regretted it.
--
Doug Dickerson  UUCP !sdcsvax!noscvax!douglas  MILNET douglas@nosc