[net.video] TV & VCR Remoting

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (06/09/85)

I don't think anyone yet makes a VCR with sound control (though it's
certainly possible; my cable supplies TV boxes which allow you to
make the sound louder/softer and mute it altogether).  Yes, you can use
your VCR to change channels, but only a TV remote control will allow you
to control sound.

For me, the ability to mute a show long distance is FAR more important
than the ability to change channels, so I have both a TV and VCR with remote
control.  For you, it may be less important.

We currently have *three* remote controls on the couch (all wireless):
for the TV, VCR, and cable.  If the VCR had the flexibility of the cable
controls, I'd only need two.  (You might take a look at the RCA TV,VCR
combo, which allows you to control both TV and VCR with one remote control.
See whether the thing feels to big to use comfortably.)

--Lee Gold

pearse@hound.UUCP (S.PEARSE) (06/11/85)

In article <2062@sdcrdcf.UUCP> barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) writes:
>I don't think anyone yet makes a VCR with sound control (though it's
>certainly possible; my cable supplies TV boxes which allow you to
>make the sound louder/softer and mute it altogether).  Yes, you can use

Yes, there are VCRs with sound control! The new superbeta Sonys have
volume control on their remotes, presumably to control the HIFI
sound as well as MTS stereo sound. I don't know if they control
standard TV sound or not, probably not. But note the VCR has a
pre-amp now with MTS and HIFI.
--
Steve Pearse
ihnp4!hound!pearse