[net.video] composite color?

ccrms@ucdavis.UUCP (ccrms) (06/25/85)

Why is it that all of the video driver boards for p.c.'s that do have
composite output only give b&w?

It seems as if my Proton color monitor can display with better
resolution than most RGB "computer" monitors.

Am I missing something inherent in the nature of composite outputs?

Michael Shulman
UCD Computer Center
...ucbvax!ucdavis!harpo!ccrms
(916)752-1667 8-12,1-5 pacific time

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (07/02/85)

In article <302@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrms@ucdavis.UUCP (ccrms) writes:
>Why is it that all of the video driver boards for p.c.'s that do have
>composite output only give b&w?

Apple II's give a color composite output (only in graphics mode, of course).
--
Dave Seaman			 ..!pur-ee!pucc-h:ags

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (07/08/85)

> In article <302@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrms@ucdavis.UUCP (ccrms) writes:
> >Why is it that all of the video driver boards for p.c.'s that do have
> >composite output only give b&w?
>
> Apple II's give a color composite output (only in graphics mode, of course).

I think this discussion should have been in net.micro.pc, but...

If, when you say "p.c." you mean "IBM PC and clones", then the answer is
that the resolution of the standard IBM-type video board (640 pixels
across) is too high for a color TV.  That's why they have RGB outputs,
so that you can connect an RGB monitor (which *can* display 640 pixels
across).  Although a b&w TV still can't display 640 pixels across, the
better ones can get a lot closer than any color TV can.
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{ihnp4,seismo,decvax}!noao!terak!doug
               ^^^^^--- soon to be CalComp