[net.video] counters in VCRs

marks@tekigm.UUCP (Mark D. Salzman) (07/08/85)

>>      Yep, that's the only way to do it, using the timing signals on the
>> tape. My NEC Beta Hi-Fi also has a REAL TIME COUNTER. Kinda handy to mark
>> time indexes on the tape to say where something starts/stops.
>
>Really real VCR's like my Fisher VHS mark program start for you (what
>Fisher calls Automatic Program Search), so you just load the tape and
>FF to the program you segment you want. So there!

I thought that putting a cueing mark on the tape was a fairly common feature
on the better VCRs. (Maybe I was just hopeing?) My JVC VHS unit has this
feature also and I find it so much more friendly that I almost never use
the tape counter.

I do admit that a "time remaining" counter would be very nice (other than
the 10 and 5 minute warnings my deck also has). I would like to know of
other VCRs (particularly VHS) that have this cueing feature and if there
is a standard for it. I would also like to know what other features these
decks have since mine is getting old and I may want to replace it soon.

Thanks.

Mark Salzman, Tektronix Inc.    | The more complex the mind,
P.O. Box 3500, Mail Stop C1-465 | the greater the need for
Vancouver, Washington. 98668    | the simplicity of play.
Phone (206) 253-5542.           |
{world}!tektronix!tekigm!marks  |      James T. Kirk

brown@nicmad.UUCP (07/10/85)

In article <495@tekigm.UUCP> marks@tekigm.UUCP (Mark D. Salzman) writes:
>I do admit that a "time remaining" counter would be very nice (other than
>the 10 and 5 minute warnings my deck also has). I would like to know of
>other VCRs (particularly VHS) that have this cueing feature and if there
>is a standard for it. I would also like to know what other features these
>decks have since mine is getting old and I may want to replace it soon.

The JVC HRD-725U has both the electronic cueing (which has been modified
to make it invisible when playing the tape, but still compatable with other
tapes) and time remaining display, with 1 minute resolution, not 5 or 10.
I check the accuracy with a T-120 tape.  When the time remaining indicated
that the was 0 minutes left, there was about 1 minute.  Not bad.

The problem with the electronic cue is that you can't make seamless edits
with the cue mark.  If you put into pause (still) and then press the
Record and Play buttons, you will get the electronic cue mark, but the
tape will have a minor glitch there.  If you put it into pause and press
the Record and Pause buttons, you will engage the backspace editing mode
and will not put on the cue mark.  I have opted for the later as it makes
for better edits.

But, check out the HRD-725U, as it has many features and can be gotten
for a very good mail order price.
--
              |------------|
              | |-------| o|    JVC HRD725U
Mr. Video     | |       | o|  |--------------|
              | |       |  |  | |----| o o o |
              | |-------| O|  |--------------|
              |------------|     VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)
   {seismo,ihnp4}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown

stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) (07/11/85)

>I thought that putting a cueing mark on the tape was a fairly common feature
>on the better VCRs. (Maybe I was just hopeing?) My JVC VHS unit has this
>feature also and I find it so much more friendly that I almost never use
>the tape counter.
>
>I do admit that a "time remaining" counter would be very nice (other than
>the 10 and 5 minute warnings my deck also has). I would like to know of
>other VCRs (particularly VHS) that have this cueing feature and if there
>is a standard for it.

From the June 1985 "Video Review", page 10:

Q: With my JVC HR-D725, I use the auto-index feature nearly all the
time.  My question is, if I buy another VHS Hi-Fi VCR, will the index
signals on my tapes recorded on JVC read back on the new machine?  Or
does the auto-index signal vary between different makes and models?

A: For those who haven't encountered this feature before, some deluxe
VCRs automatically place a special inaudible beep at the beginning of
each recording--but only recordings made without initiating the pause
mode.  Later, the VCR can wind to these cue tones and stop automatically,
allowing you to find the start of several shows recorded on a single
tape, which is extremely handy for timer-delayed programming.  To answer
your question, we gathered four different VHS Hi-Fi machines--an Hitachi
VT-89A, a JVC HR-D725, a Panasonic PV-1730 and an RCA VKT-700--and were
pleased to find that, believe it or not, all four were completely
compatible in terms of indexing and cueing.  Curiously, some, such as
the RCA, automatically drop into the fast scan mode for about ten
seconds when the indexed scene is reached; others, such as the Hitachi,
scan for nearly 30 seconds, which we think is a bit excessive.  We'd
just as soon have the VCRs wind to the index signal, stop and go into
play for a few seconds instead.
--

Steve Vance
{dual,hplabs,intelca,nsc,proper}!qantel!stv

brent@cadovax.UUCP (Brent Rector) (07/12/85)

In article <495@tekigm.UUCP> marks@tekigm.UUCP (Mark D. Salzman) writes:

>I thought that putting a cueing mark on the tape was a fairly common feature
>on the better VCRs. (Maybe I was just hopeing?) My JVC VHS unit has this
>feature also and I find it so much more friendly that I almost never use
>the tape counter.
>
>I do admit that a "time remaining" counter would be very nice (other than
>the 10 and 5 minute warnings my deck also has). I would like to know of
>other VCRs (particularly VHS) that have this cueing feature and if there
>is a standard for it. I would also like to know what other features these
>decks have since mine is getting old and I may want to replace it soon.

Well I have a Panasonic VHS Hi-Fi VCR (PV-9600 I believe) and it has a
remaining time on tape counter which displays remaining time in HH:MM form.
It takes it about 30 seconds to figure out where it is on the tape.

It also has a tape counter as well but I couldn't say whether it is linear
or not since I always use the remaining time display instead.

Brent E. Rector - CONTEL CADO, Torrance, CA
{ decvax, hplabs, ihnp4, ucbvax, sdcrdcf }!trwrb!cadovax!brent
   { onecom, philabs, scgvaxd, ttidca, ucla-cs }!cadovax!brent
				 cadovax!brent@ucla-locus.ARPA