[net.video] vcr to vcr recording

akj@hrpd3.UUCP (A.JAIN) (07/09/85)

	I have been told recently that recording done from one vcr to
another using tv output (using coax cable) is better than the
recording done with using audio and vedio outputs. This seems
hard to understand because using tv signal, two levels of
transformation is done - one to covert to tv signal in playing
vcr and second to decode in the recording vcr. I have not tried
it myself. Does anyone have experience or thoughts on it.

						abhay

						hrpd3!akj

dove@fortune.UUCP (Michael Dove) (07/11/85)

> 	I have been told recently that recording done from one vcr to
> another using tv output (using coax cable) is better than the
> recording done with using audio and vedio outputs. This seems
> hard to understand because using tv signal, two levels of
> transformation is done - one to covert to tv signal in playing
> vcr and second to decode in the recording vcr. I have not tried
> it myself. Does anyone have experience or thoughts on it.

I have had the same experience.  Once while trying to make a copy of
a movie that supposedly was protected yielded garbage when recorded
with the audio and video jacks.  "So it is protected, huh!", I said.
Well then I tried to record through a coax cable thorough the
tv output and antenna in jack.  Whalla, it woiked!  Picture quality
was not as high, but it was there, and good enough for me.

--
/*****************************************\
 *                                        *|

brown@nicmad.UUCP (07/13/85)

In article <279@hrpd3.UUCP> akj@hrpd3.UUCP (A.JAIN) writes:

>	I have been told recently that recording done from one vcr to
>another using tv output (using coax cable) is better than the
>recording done with using audio and vedio outputs. This seems
>hard to understand because using tv signal, two levels of
>transformation is done - one to covert to tv signal in playing
>vcr and second to decode in the recording vcr. I have not tried
>it myself. Does anyone have experience or thoughts on it.

To put it bluntly, who ever told you that is full of shit!

If you ever read the tests done on video decks, all of them have loses
when run thru the RF converter.  Baseband video and audio is the
ONLY way to copy, or even view tapes (if the TV has direct video input).
--
              |------------|
              | |-------| o|    JVC HRD725U
Mr. Video     | |       | o|  |--------------|
              | |       |  |  | |----| o o o |
              | |-------| O|  |--------------|
              |------------|     VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)
   seismo!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown
   ihnp4!nicmad!brown

smith@umn-cs.UUCP (07/16/85)

  One evening a bunch of friends got together with VCRs and did some
tape-to-tape copying with 2 low-cost VHS and one fancy Beta VCR.  Here
are some observations:

1. My low cost VCR worked far better when hooked to a good monitor.  Fast
   forward, pause, and reverse were far sharper than on the cheap JC Penny's
   TV we have at home.
2. We copied tapes via the RF connections.  Quality on 'standard play' was
   better than live recording of 'extended play' for the VHS recorders.
3. VHS-Beta copying didn't yield as good of an image as VHS-VHS.