[net.video] lightening bursts

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (08/10/85)

(For net.video readers: The subject is misspelled because this is a
followup to a net.physics article where it was spelled that way.)

I happened to videotape a TV news show a couple of weeks ago
that included a view of a lightning strike (in Wyoming).
It was interesting to play it back in slow motion.

The bolt was more or less vertical.  In the first frame where it
appeared, it occupied only the bottom 1/5 of the frame; in the next
frame, it occupied the whole height of the frame.  In both of these
frames there was a bright aura splaying out from the bolt; the second
frame was close to washed out.  (Incidentally, this passed by too fast
to notice at normal speed.  It was much more dramatic in slow motion.)
I presume the aura was simply reflected light from the cloud and rain.

Anyway, in the first of the two frames, both bolt and aura were sharply
cut off by a horizontal boundary.  I take this to mean that the light
rose from zero to full intensity in a time comparable to that between
two scan lines -- i.e. about 1/15,000 second -- if not shorter.

(I must admit that I didn't look closely at the boundary, and if it was
spread over a few scan lines I might not have noticed.  That's why I
said "comparable to" rather than definitely "less than".)

The frame after the washed-out frame had no lightning in it, though there
was a powerful afterimage (artifact of the TV camera, I assume) that faded
in about 1.5 seconds.  Therefore the total time of the bolt was no more
than 1/30 second.  It could have been much less, of course; once the image
is in the camera it is going to persist for a little while.

I'm sure there's no new science in this message, but I found it
impressive that I could make observations on the millisecond level
using apparatus found in my home!  (And it only took me weeks to realize
that I had done so, and meanwhile the tape has been reused...)

Mark Brader

brown@nicmad.UUCP (08/15/85)

In article <747@lsuc.UUCP> msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) writes:
>(For net.video readers: The subject is misspelled because this is a
>followup to a net.physics article where it was spelled that way.)
>
>The bolt was more or less vertical.  In the first frame where it
>appeared, it occupied only the bottom 1/5 of the frame; in the next
>frame, it occupied the whole height of the frame.  In both of these
>frames there was a bright aura splaying out from the bolt; the second
>frame was close to washed out.  (Incidentally, this passed by too fast
>to notice at normal speed.  It was much more dramatic in slow motion.)
>I presume the aura was simply reflected light from the cloud and rain.

I hope you aren't misled by the structure of television scanning.  Now,
if the lightning bolt was shot on video tape, then what I have to say
will be appropriate.  But if the bolt was shot on film the what you
saw in slow-motion makes sense.

Now, every 1/60th of a second, one tv field is scaned.  But, because it
takes time to scan from the top to the bottom, part of the field could
be done before it picks up something that heppens real fast, ie, the bolt
you saw, using slow-mo, could have been to the top of the field after the
time it started and the point at which the camera 'sees' it.  Because
of the time it takes to get back to the top of the field, the camera can
and will miss things that are happening.  This is the alias effect.
Examples of this can be seen when TV camera shots of lasers and strobes
are done.

So, you can't pay too much attention to the fact that you saw only part
of a bolt on a frame.  The best way to see lightning is with a high speed
film camera.  Then the resolution, in the time domain, is much finer.
TV and normal film cameras have too course a time resolution.
--

Mr. Video   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown