[net.video] VCR Cleaning Tape Problem

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (08/06/85)

About six months ago, I bought a Discwasher
VCR cleaning tape (non-abrasive, dry type)
for my new Quasar 5845 VHS HI-FI VCR.
I use it about once a month (about 60 hrs.
usage) and it worked fine the first few times
I used it.

However, the last couple of times I've used it,
when I go to play a tape after using the cleaner,
the TV screen is just filled with snow and only
the audio can be heard (the linear tracks?).

To clear the problem, I have to run a pre-recorded
tape (which is in SP mode as opposed to my SLP
recordings) though the machine for a minute or so.
The screen slowly clears-up while I do this and then
I can play my own tapes without a problem.

Does anyone know what the cause may be?

The only thing I can think of is that the
cleaning tape may be shedding debris onto
the video heads, and that it is wiped off by the
pre-recorded SP tape.

I will post a summary of any responses that
I receive.

--
			Paul Kemp
			ihnp4!hou2a!pjk

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (08/20/85)

Well, I got a total of two responses to my
inquiry on my problem with a Discwasher VCR
cleaning tape.

One response was from Lauren (vortex!lauren)
which he posted to the net.  I know he is
adamantly against the use of any VCR cleaning
tape from previous discussions in this newsgroup.

I received the other response by mail from Ryan
Ramsey (ryan@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU). He said:

> The only thing i can think off about your problem is:
>
> 1> I know for a fact that video head cleaners are one of the WORST
>    things you can do for your machine... The heads in your VCR are
>    smoothly polished to 1000th of an inch... When you stick the head
>    cleaner in there, it WILL get rid of the dust  as well as
>    the quality of your heads...

I knew of all the warnings about VCR cleaning tapes,
but I didn't have enough confidence in myself to clean
the heads manually and probably still wouldn't have
been able to reach the rest of the tape path without
taking the VCR apart.

I also didn't want to pay to have the VCR cleaned
professionally, though it would probably only need
this every 1 or 2 years (what does this typically
cost?).

I knew enough to stay away from the products that
were abrasive (like Scotch) and the ones that used
a fluid (many others), so when I saw the ad for the
Discwasher tapes, I thought it would be safe to use.

Well, it didn't cause any permanent damage that I know
of, but it sure scared the hell out of me when I
ended up with a screen full of snow!

I've decided to write to Discwasher about the problem
to see what they have to say.  If anyone else uses
their cleaning tapes, please tell me if you've had
any problems also, so I can include it in my letter.

--
			Paul Kemp
			ihnp4!hou2a!pjk

       The above statements are those of the author only,
          and are not those of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

nzm10@amdahl.UUCP (Neal Macklin) (08/22/85)

> About six months ago, I bought a Discwasher
> VCR cleaning tape (non-abrasive, dry type)
> for my new Quasar 5845 VHS HI-FI VCR.
> I use it about once a month (about 60 hrs.
> usage) and it worked fine the first few times
> I used it.
>
> However, the last couple of times I've used it,
> when I go to play a tape after using the cleaner,
> the TV screen is just filled with snow and only
> the audio can be heard (the linear tracks?).
>
> To clear the problem, I have to run a pre-recorded
> tape (which is in SP mode as opposed to my SLP
> recordings) though the machine for a minute or so.
> The screen slowly clears-up while I do this and then
> I can play my own tapes without a problem.
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the
> cleaning tape may be shedding debris onto
> the video heads, and that it is wiped off by the
> pre-recorded SP tape.
>
> 			Paul Kemp

Thank you, Paul, for cleaning your machine with tapes that others later
get to run through their machines.  Sure glad I don't rent tapes in
the Holmdel area.
--
				Neal Macklin
				(408) 737-5214

              [There are no opinions expressed in this article].

pjk@hou2a.UUCP (P.KEMP) (08/23/85)

Neal Macklin "thanks" me for cleaning my VCR with "rental"
tapes:

>  From: nzm10@amdahl.UUCP (Neal Macklin)
>  > To clear the problem, I have to run a pre-recorded
>  > tape (which is in SP mode as opposed to my SLP
>  > recordings) though the machine for a minute or so.
>  > The screen slowly clears-up while I do this and then
>  > I can play my own tapes without a problem.
>
>  Thank you, Paul, for cleaning your machine with tapes that others later
>  get to run through their machines.  Sure glad I don't rent tapes in
>  the Holmdel area.
>  --
>  				Neal Macklin
>  				(408) 737-5214
>  				...{hplabs,ihnp4}!amdahl!nzm10

Neal, I said only that the tape was "pre-recorded."
It may come as a surprise to you, but you can actually
*purchase* pre-recorded video tapes!

I'm afraid that you may have mis-interpreted the phrase:
"... I can play my *own* tapes without a problem."

I meant by *own* that they are tapes I *recorded* on *my*
VCR.

I use my wife's tape of The Rolling Stones' "Video Rewind"
to clear the problem [which she just loves! :-)].

Please, read more carefully before you flame, Neal!