[net.video] Subtitling vs. Dubbing

boyajian@akov68.DEC (JERRY BOYAJIAN) (09/06/85)

> From:	amdahl!dwl10	(Dave Lowrey)

> The Movie Channel las month showed the German movie Das Boot.
> I watched it twice. The first time I watched it, the dialog and
> credits were dubbed in english. The second time, there were
> subtitles.
>
> The dubbed version had more dialog than was "shown" in the sub
> titled version. I don't know German, so I don't know if the
> subtitles were indeed missing things, of if the dubbed version
> added new dialog.

It seems to me from watching a number of foreign films that subtitles
are usually imcomplete, pretty much only giving the gist of what's being
said. This is because there's not room enough nor time enough to include
everything.

> Is it common for a film to be both dubbed and sub titled?

It didn't used to be, but I have noticed it happening with increasing
frequency. I think the first movie I noticed it with was COUSIN, COUSINE.

> I do prefer the sub-titled version, as you get the "real" actors
> voices and emotions, along with his acting, insted of someone
> elses idea of how the scene should "sound".

I certainly understand that point of view, and the purist side of me tends
agrees with it, but still my preference is for dubbing. I find that trying
to read the subtitles distracts me from what is happening in the scene. And
again, you don't get the complete dialogue in most cases with subtitled films.
	I suspect that the general public prefers dubbing for much the same
reason, and that the purists prefer subtitling for the same reasons as yours.
The increasing frequency of releasing both dubbed and subtitled prints of a
film is probably a result of trying to please both groups.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA