[net.video] Windows for the common man

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (09/03/85)

	Everybody wants windows.  People buy Suns (and other work stations)
because they have windows.  Using the "wm" package recently posted you can
have windows on any ascii terminal.  Mac's have windows.  The ATT Unix PC
has windows.  Now you can have windows too, in the comfort of your own
living room.

	I have in front of me an ad from Toshiba for their new Color TV.
If you want to watch a broadcast program and your VCR at the same time,
what do you do?  What else; pop up a window, move it over to the corner of
the screen, shrink it down to whatever size you want, and put your VCR
output there!  The "simulated picture" in the ad shows a full-screen window
with a football game in it and a smaller window down in the corner with a
movie running.

	All the ad says is that it's digital.  It must have a frame grabber
with adjustable x and y output scan for the second video input in order to
be able to shrink the image (shrink mind you -- not crop).  Plus a video
mixer (big deal -- another op amp).  The ad implies that you can make the
second window any size and position you want, but they don't actually come
out and say this.  Certainly, the small window they have in the ad looks
like a standard 4:3 aspect ratio.

	I have no idea what this costs, nor would I consider buying one for
myself, but still, it *is* kinda nifty.  I could even imagine times when it
would be useful.  Over-all, though, I think I'll file this one under "very
impressive, but useless featureism".
--
Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (09/09/85)

I recall Toshiba talking about the "windowing" TV quite some time
ago in the trades, I think.  I believe I remember reading about the
chip set that does most of the work.  I think there's a catch--the
VCR and broadcast signal must be genlocked.  Since you can't move
the broadcast signal without an (expensive) timebase corrector, I think
this means that you need to have a sync input on your VCR (which most
consumer machines these days don't have, of course)  If they've found
a way to do it without genlocking the VCR to the broadcast signal
I'll be very surprised.

--Lauren--

hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) (09/10/85)

In article <797@vortex.UUCP> lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
>I recall Toshiba talking about the "windowing" TV quite some time
>ago in the trades, I think.  I believe I remember reading about the
>chip set that does most of the work.  I think there's a catch--the
>VCR and broadcast signal must be genlocked.  Since you can't move
>the broadcast signal without an (expensive) timebase corrector, I think
>this means that you need to have a sync input on your VCR (which most
>consumer machines these days don't have, of course)  If they've found
>a way to do it without genlocking the VCR to the broadcast signal
>I'll be very surprised.
>
>--Lauren--

	Digital television receivers (as opposed to digital broadcasts)
have been in the works for a number of years.  The Toshiba is just the
first to be offered in the US.  The "window" is availble in 1/4 or 1/16
of the screen and you can pick the quadrant in which is dispalyed.  It
has its own tuner and will except standard NTSC composite video for the
"window".  It does not need a genlocked signal because it has a frame
buffer that acts as a FIFO for the second  signal.  A neat toy, it
retails for around $1200.
--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas           {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!hunter

(I am responsible for me and my dog and no-one else)