[net.video] LV player help needed

jayj@hpisla.UUCP (Jay Johannes) (09/17/85)

 My Pioneer Laserdisc player, model VP-1000A has just gone up in smoke.
 When I opened it, I found a totally fried high voltage board. I am
 estimating that it will cost between $100 and $150 to get the parts
 and service manual to fix it.

 The local video store is closing out the Magnavox VC 8040 GY player for
 $299. This unit is supposed to be a clone of the Pioneer LD700.

 Now for the questions.
   - Is the Magnavox player really a LD700 clone, and what are the differences.
   - It would be cheaper to fix the VP-1000. Does anyone have any information
     that would help me convince my wife that the new solid state player
     would be a better buy? In particular, is it better at playing marginal
     discs? Does anyone have reliability information on te LD700?

  As you can see, I am leaning toward the new player. My wife is leaning toward
  fixing the old one. Any data that would help make the decision would be
  appreciated.

  Send mail to {ihnp4, etc}!hplabs|hpfcla!hpisla!jayj

  Thanks in advance,   Jay Johannes

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (09/25/85)

In article <90900002@hpisli.UUCP> jayj@hpisla.UUCP (Jay Johannes) writes:

> My Pioneer Laserdisc player, model VP-1000A has just gone up in smoke.
> When I opened it, I found a totally fried high voltage board. I am
> estimating that it will cost between $100 and $150 to get the parts
> and service manual to fix it.

You might be able to get a junker VP-1000 for a song - when the HV board
in my VP-1000 zapped over, I got a second one from my local LaserDisc
dealer for $40 (trade in on a 700).

However, since I had only a few seconds of arcing on the HV board, I
was able to scrape off the carbon witn an Xacto knife and then give the
board a few coats of no-arc spray (the kind used for TV flybacks). According
to the dealer (I traded both players in on a 700) it's still going strong!

The 700 model is much better at playing CLV discs, has almost no crosstalk.
It also sounds better than a STOCK VP-1000, both in frequency response
and elimination of the background buzz in the audio.  The 700 does
not play some of the old DVA CAV's as well as a supertweaked VP-1000.

So, see if you can bum a HV supply, or a whole VP-1000 for a few bux
and wait for a cheaper 900 with digital audio to come along.

--
  Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231

clark@eludom.DEC (Ward Clark) (09/26/85)

> My Pioneer Laserdisc player, model VP-1000A has just gone up in smoke.
> When I opened it, I found a totally fried high voltage board. I am
> estimating that it will cost between $100 and $150 to get the parts
> and service manual to fix it.

> The local video store is closing out the Magnavox VC 8040 GY player for
> $299. This unit is supposed to be a clone of the Pioneer LD700.

> Now for the questions.
>   - Is the Magnavox player really a LD700 clone, and what are the differences.
>   - It would be cheaper to fix the VP-1000. Does anyone have any information
>     that would help me convince my wife that the new solid state player
>     would be a better buy? In particular, is it better at playing marginal
>     discs? Does anyone have reliability information on te LD700?

>  Thanks in advance,   Jay Johannes

If my VP-1000A were to go up in smoke, I'd jump at the chance to replace it
with the Magnavox player, especially at $299 (an excellent price).  The
Magnavox is indeed an LD-700 clone and as the following advantages over your
dead VP-1000A:

    -  3rd generation vs. 1st generation
    -  smaller
    -  quieter
    -  front loading
    -  builtin CX decoding with automatic CX sensing
    -  more tolerant of marginal discs

-- Ward Clark