[net.video] flash water heaters

king@kestrel.ARPA (09/29/85)

Most water heaters have a tank inside them which holds as much water
as you are likely to use at one time (say 40 gal.), and a small heater
to let it heat a new batch of water after you have used up the old
one.  I have heard that there are a few that work differently - they
have a small heat exchanger, and a big burner that lets them heat the
water as you use it.  There was an article in February 1982 Pop
Mechanics.

Does anyone have any experience with a flash water heater?  I like the
idea for two reasons:

1> It's usually the tank that died when a water heater has to be
thrown out.

2> Heat escapes out the side of the tank 24 hours per day.

thanks in advance

-dick

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (10/03/85)

In article <1424@kestrel.ARPA> king@kestrel.ARPA writes:
> ...  I have heard that there are a few that work differently - they
>have a small heat exchanger, and a big burner that lets them heat the
>water as you use it...
>
>Does anyone have any experience with a flash water heater? ...

I put up with these for about two years when I was living in London,  about
10  years  ago.  In general, I don't think they're worth the bother.  Water
temperature depends on flow  volume.  You  may  have  trouble  getting  the
temperature you want for high volume applications (taking a shower, running
a dishwasher, etc.).  At low volumes, I've seen some of them generate  live
steam through a kitchen faucet -- dangerous, especially if you have kids to
worry about.

If you're concerned about heat leaking from a tank heater,  wrap  it  in  a
fibergalss  blanket  (some  local  gas  companies will supply these free of
charge).

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe