[net.video] Stereo VHS Question

heneghan@ihu1m.UUCP (Joe Heneghan) (10/28/85)

When listening to stereo broadcasts on TV  (in Chicago it's
Channel 5 and Channel 11(PBS)), I notice a significantly
improved sound even though I don't have a stereo decoder. My
configuration is to take the video through the TV and the audio
through my stereo. So even though I'm not getting 2 channel stereo,
my sound is better. Could it be that I'm able to get the benefit
of better fidelity through my stereo receiver without the decoder?
				Joe Heneghan ihnp4!ihu1m!heneghan

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (10/30/85)

In article <724@ihu1m.UUCP> heneghan@ihu1m.UUCP (Joe Heneghan) writes:
>When listening to stereo broadcasts on TV  (in Chicago it's
>Channel 5 and Channel 11(PBS)), I notice a significantly
>improved sound even though I don't have a stereo decoder.

Well, I would hazard a guess that the stations had to acquire new or at
least refurbish the old equipment in their audio-signal chain when they
went stereo. So, if you hear differences when they are broadcasting
stereo and when they are in traditional mono mode, perhaps they are
using different audio equipment at those times? If you mean that their
signal is always better since they went stereo, no matter if they are
broadcasting a stereo or a mono signal at the moment, then it could be
due to their having replaced or upgraded their audio equipment as part
of the move to stereo.

Will