[net.video] DAK stereo-VHS-hifi VCR?

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (11/12/85)

The latest DAK catalog lists a VHS-hi VCR from "Emerson", with all the
usual features including a stereo-TV tuner, for $400.  Normally I'd
expect to pay closer to $1000 for such a system from a reputable
manufacturer.  This sounds like trash to me ... does anyone have any
experience with this machine or with "Emerson"?

I know all about DAK cassette tapes.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (11/14/85)

In article <1884@orca.UUCP> andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) writes:

>I know all about DAK cassette tapes.
>
>  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
>                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

Are they as bad as I think they are?
--
John Allred
General Computer Company

fjo@ttrdc.UUCP (Frank Owen ) (11/15/85)

In : <1884@orca.UUCP>
(Andrew Klossner) writes:

>The latest DAK catalog lists a VHS-hi VCR from "Emerson", with all the
>usual features including a stereo-TV tuner, for $400.  Normally I'd
>expect to pay closer to $1000 for such a system from a reputable
>manufacturer.  This sounds like trash to me ... does anyone have any
>experience with this machine or with "Emerson"?
>
>I know all about DAK cassette tapes.
>
>  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
>                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

I have had one of these "Emerson" VHS Hi-Fi units for about a month now.
I paid $499 locally for it.
I think the $399 is an exeptionally good deal. (I think the list is around
$900 for the deck).

"Emerson" is an American company, but as you are probably aware, there
have NEVER been ANY consumer VCRs built in the USA. I was told by the
salesman that the unit was manufactured by Mitsubishi. (It DOES say
"Made in Japan", so it's not one of the Korean, Taiwanese made units.)

Here are some factors you may want to know:

	1.Only 2 video heads. This means you don't have
	  as many or as fancy special effects.(No special
	  effects at the high speed). Actually, you can
	  use the special effects at the higher speeds,
	  but the resulting picture quality is very bad.
	  The extra video heads on 4-head decks (I am told)
	  are used only for special effects and that for
	  normal playback only 2 heads are used.

	  This was not such a bad thing for me personally
	  because I really don't use the special effects.
	  You do have a fast scan forward and backwards that
	  work at the slow (SLP) speed. I DO use this for
	  deleting commercials during Letterman etc.
	  There is also a still-frame and slow motion feature.
	  (All special effects availible from IR remote)

	2.Can only record at the fastest or the slowest speeds.
	  (e.g. get either 2 hours or 6 hrs on a T-120 tape).
	  Plays back all speeds.

	3.Tuner is the pre-set type (No random access). You do get
	  16 presets though and the tuning is electronic voltage-
	  controlled as apposed to the seperate-varactor-for-each-
	  preset type. I have cable (but no Movie stations) and have
	  not run out of presets yet. If I got 2-3 Movie stations
	  though, I would have to bump something.

	4. ONE COMPLAINT:
	   I feel that  the rotating drum that holds the heads makes too
	   much noise. Apparently all VCRs make some noise, due to the
	   high speed motor used for this drum, but I think the
	   Emerson makes more noise than most. The solution is to
	   put the unit in a cabinet with a glass front door.

	5. The manual says that audio only Hi-Fi should not be done
	   at the slow speed. However, I recorded a record on my
	   dbx cassette deck and on the Emerson (SLP speed) simultaneously.
	   When I compared the products (true volume-matched A-B
	   testing) I found the results to be quite comparable. In
	   fact, I think the Emerson was a bit better (you could hear
	   a little bit of "breathing" on the dbx cassette copy.) It is
	   certainly FAR superior than any non-dbx cassette deck. At
	   the high speed, I imagine the performance is probably
	   even better.

	6. Does NOT have the old-style VHS Dolby-stereo on the linear
	   audio track. It records and plays back mono on that track.

You can get the "missing" features, but you'll pay for them. A GE deck
(actually made by Matsushita/(Panasonic)) that Has a quartz random-
access tuner and all sorts of fancy special effects, will cost
you about $1000. I imagine the prices for these fancy decks will
come down, but right now the Emerson deck is a bargain.
The first movie I rented was Amadeus. The soundtrack was made from
digital masters and sounds FANTASTIC! I think the Hi-Fi adds
very significanty to the enjoyment of most films.

	Frank Owen (..ihnp4!ttrdc!fjo)

david@tekig5.UUCP (David Hayes) (11/19/85)

The DAK catalogue can be used here in Portland at the
Stereo Super Stores in their "meet or beat" policy.

Just take in the catalogue and say you want the same deck for
the same price, if they have it they will give it to you.
A plus here is local service and warranty work.  They
probably even know who actually makes the Emerson VCR.

399 isn't too bad a price, you can also get a Sanyo 7250
(top of the line) for mail order prices around $360 which
is a Beat HiFi, MTS ready, wireless, table top model.

dave

terry2@ihlpm.UUCP (Nelson) (11/19/85)

  (Andrew Klossner) writes:
>>The latest DAK catalog lists a VHS-hi VCR from "Emerson", with all the
>>usual features including a stereo-TV tuner, for $400....
>>..does anyone have any experience with this machine or with "Emerson"?

  (Frank Owen) posts a list of features and comments:
>I have had one of these "Emerson" VHS Hi-Fi units for about a month now.
>I think the $399 is an exeptionally good deal. (I think the list is around
>$900 for the deck).

    I also own the Emerson VCS966, although I did not purchase it
from DAK (I wish I had!).  I agree that for $399 it is currently a
pretty good deal.  Additional comments:

   1.  As Frank stated, the tuner is not totally random access
       i.e. you can't randomly access all 135 channels at once.
       However, the 16 channels that you select are accessible
       randomly from the IR remote control and sequentially from
       the deck.

   2.  I purchased the unit locally and out of the box it was
       defective.  It was apparently chewing the edge of the
       tape!  I went through three of my tapes before I realized
       what was happening.  I returned the unit and it was
       replaced with another (the one I now have) and it works fine.
       Fortunately, the three tapes were old standard grade ones
       that I used for delayed TV viewing.  Emerson replaced the
       tapes with three top of the line Maxells'.

   3.  I have the Emerson hooked up to my stereo as a regular
       part of that system (other audio decks that I currently
       use are a Revox A-77 and a Nakamichi LX-5).  Overall the
       VHS Hi-Fi audio quality is very good and is comparable to
       the LX-5 (using Dolby C of course).  The only quirks I
       have noticed have been those previously described on the
       net, apparently common to all VHS (and I assume for the
       most part, Beta) Hi-Fi decks (low level head switching
       distortion and the usual noise reduction villains).

   I have also purchased things in the past from DAK and their 30
day money back guarantee is fact.

  I am in no way connected with Emerson or DAK - except as a customer.
--

..ihnp4!ihlpm!terry2   =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-   "All this is
                       |      Terry Nelson      |   because of me
      Keep             | AT&T Bell Laboratories |   and not my
       It              |  Naperville, Illinois  |   employer!"

jrb@wdl1.UUCP (11/19/85)

This machine is carried by Pacific Stereo.  I beleive that the electronics
are actually manufactured by Mitsubishi.  Emerson just puts their nameplate
on it.

				John R Blaker
				UUCP:	...!fortune!wdl1!jrb
				ARPA:	jrb@FORD-WDL1