[net.video] VCR Head Cleaning

rg (03/01/83)

How often should I clean my VCR heads.  My machine is a four head system.
I know some people who clean their heads before every major recording
(i.e., something they want to keep).  Is this too often or appropriate?

laurir (03/03/83)

I heard from a convincing source that you should *never* clean your
VCR heads.  Ask the technician in the back, not the salesman in the
front who is interested in a commission on a $30 head cleaner sale.
  -- Andrew Klossner (decvax!tektronix!tekmdp!laurir)

heliotis (03/11/83)

I just talked to a technician who suggested I buy a head-cleaning cassette.
One sailsman told me to use the Q-tip method, another said to "let our
shop do it".
							Jim Heliotis

heliotis (03/11/83)

I can't believe I wrote "sailsman"!    -- Jim

593aac@houxa.UUCP (S.JOHNSON) (11/06/85)

As a new reader of net.video, I hesitate to ask this question for fear
that it has been asked a hundred times before, prior to my reading
this newsgroup, but flames off!

What is the best method for cleaning the heads, capstans, etc. of my VHS
VCR? I've seen several different products, but want to avoid the ones
which irreparably damage the heads. I've been using Q-tips and alcohol
to clean the heads of my cassette deck, but The VCR's heads are not visible
through the access door.

Any suggestions?
			Steve

fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) (11/13/85)

> What is the best method for cleaning the heads, capstans, etc. of my VHS
> VCR? I've seen several different products, but want to avoid the ones
> which irreparably damage the heads. I've been using Q-tips and alcohol
> to clean the heads of my cassette deck, but The VCR's heads are not visible
> through the access door.
>	Any suggestions? 		Steve

Steve, I asked a similar question almost a year ago.  Here is the
summary of responses.  If any of this info was (or is) incorrect,
folk can send me their two bits worth.

Subject: Re: video tapes and VCR head cleaning
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 84 12:54:18 est
From: ulysses!smb (Steven Bellovin)

The best advice I've seen is that yes, tape quality does make a difference --
if all you're doing is time-shifting, and hence need only half a dozen or
so tapes, buy good ones.  This means a reputable brand from a reputable
dealer (there are counterfeits floating around) -- I stick to TDK or Maxell,
and buy their premium version.  Apart from the better picture quality, you'll
leave less grunk on the heads.

As for cleaning -- folks I respect say *don't* clean your VCR heads yourself;
they're very delicate, and don't need cleaning nearly as often as audio
recorders do.  Unless you know exactly what you're doing, leave it to a pro.
From: trwspp!spp2!stassen
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 84 09:44:42 pst

	Professional cleaning is probably the way to go, because you shouldn't
have to do it that often.  _Consumer Reports_ claims that (for their VHS tape
tests, November this year) they ran a VCR for 2500 hours, and the heads STILL
didn't need cleaning.
	In the same issue, they rated video tapes, and gave the highest marks
(by far) to _Scotch_ cassettes.  I also found that Scotch cassettes were by
far the least expensive in this area.  (The tests were for VHS tapes).
	The issue just left the newsstands, I believe, but you should have no
trouble digging up a copy.
	-- Chris
From: pertec!bytebug (Roger Long)
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 84 17:33:25 pst

I've only used TDK and Maxell tapes in my machine (which is now about 4
years old).  Stick with a "name" brand, as I've read (in various video
magazines) that some of the "off" brand tapes shed their magnetic coatings
all over the inside of your machine.

For convenience, I use the Alsop wet-cleaning system.  Basically you have a
piece of chamois in a cartridge shell that you wet with head cleaner and put
into your machine and activate "play" to wrap the wet chamois around the head
for a few seconds.  However, I've had my machine on an extended warantee, and
I've taken it in once a year to have the machine cleaned and adjusted.
From: asgb!sjk (Scott J. Kamin)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 84 09:27:41 pst

Video Tapes like VCR internals are only manufactured by a few companies.  I have
had very good results from Kodak. They buy high-quality tape from TDK.
Currently, local stores are offering them for $5.99 each and Kodak has a
"Buy 3, Get One FREE!" promotion by mail making the effective price for 4
tapes $4.49 each. Unbeatable!

Stay away from tapes whose brand you've never heard of.  Companies sell the
tape which doesn't meet their standards to these no-name companies who put it
in a cheap shell and sell it. It ought to come with a guarantee to damage your
video heads!

Don't clean your heads unless you can detect a deterioration in the picture,
i.e. streaks, graininess, etc.  All cleaning is abrasive and over cleaning
will permanently damage the heads.  When you do need to clean, use a good
quality ( i.e. brand name) cleaner.  Most magazines claim no significant
difference.  See the most recent VIDEO REVIEW magazine for a head cleaner test.
I personally use the Discwasher dry cleaner as I've always respected their
record cleaners.
Resume of November 1984's Consumer Reports on VHS tapes:
- don't buy off-brands, these are substandard
- high grade name brands are not necessarily better than standard name brands
- tapes marked "stereo" or "hi-fi" are not necessary to record stereo or hi-fi
- hi-fi VCRs record differently from mono or stereo VCRs (diagonal vs. edge)
- keep tapes away from magnetic fields (e.g., stereo speakers)
- store tapes on end, not flat, to prevent sagging
- suspect dirty VCR heads only if sudden noise level increase for all tapes
- brand name head cleaner tapes are OK, but stick to manufacturers directions
- ranking:
  1. Scotch, 2. Scotch HGX, 3. BASF HG, 4. TDK EHG, 5. BASF, 6. Konica,
  7. Maxell HGX Gold, 8. Minolta, 9. RCA, 10. Sony, 11. Polaroid, 12. Fuji,
  13. JVC, 14. Kodak, 15. Maxell, 16. Panasonic, 17. TDK,
  18. Quasar, 19. SKC, 20. Memorex, 21. Radio Shack,
  22. PD Magnetics HG                                     --- Fred Christiansen
--
<< Generic disclaimer >>
Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") @ Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ

jimb@tekcbi.UUCP (Jim Boland) (11/15/85)

> > What is the best method for cleaning the heads, capstans, etc. of my VHS
> > VCR? I've seen several different products, but want to avoid the ones
> > which irreparably damage the heads.
> >	Any suggestions? 		Steve
>
> From: trwspp!spp2!stassen
> 	Professional cleaning is probably the way to go, because you shouldn't
> have to do it that often.  _

> From: asgb!sjk (Scott J. Kamin)
> Don't clean your heads unless you can detect a deterioration in the picture,
> i.e. streaks, graininess, etc.  All cleaning is abrasive and over cleaning
> will permanently damage the heads.  When you do need to clean, use a good
> quality ( i.e. brand name) cleaner.

I clean the heads of my vcr's when I know they need it.  You can tell
because the picture is not behaving normally, or I notice dropouts where
I know there aren't any.  I do not use head cleaner tapes  and other
such products.  Working in the videotape dept. of a local TV station
gives me access to the commercial stuff.  I open the top of my deck,
gain access to the heads and other internals and use the head cleaning
cloths and fluids which we use at the station.  I am also able at this time
to clean out dust, check for wear and tear on belts, pulleys,guides, etc.
Usually, I only need to do this once a year on  a heavily used hi-fi deck.

fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (11/20/85)

> What is the best method for cleaning the heads, capstans, etc. of my VHS
> VCR? I've seen several different products, but want to avoid the ones
> which irreparably damage the heads.

***  E  A   T          IT               ***
VCR heads are sealed, and should not require cleaning in normal use.  If
there's a heavy smoker in the house, or if you've played a tape that's shedding
oxide, you can open the recorder up and clean the heads with alcohol and
cotton.
 __
/  \
\__/
				Bob Fishell
				ihnp4!ihlpg!fish

brown@nicmad.UUCP (11/21/85)

In article <1452@ihlpg.UUCP> fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) writes:
>VCR heads are sealed, and should not require cleaning in normal use.  If
>there's a heavy smoker in the house, or if you've played a tape that's shedding
>oxide, you can open the recorder up and clean the heads with alcohol and
>cotton.
 ^^^^^^
Never, but NEVER use cotton on video heads.  The cotton fibers will come off,
say a swab, and maybe get caught in the head gap area, making the tape lift
away from the head.  The result will be no recording.

There are special swabs that do not shed.  Nortron makes a VCR head cleaning
kit that contains the liquid and the special swabs.  Use that instead.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \