[net.video] Possibility of buying bulk video tape

rem@bu-cs.UUCP (Robert E. Mee) (11/13/85)

Has anyone out in the net thought of (or implemented) using computer
magtape in 2400' reels and placing it in empty video cassette shells?
I would be interested in purchasing the empty shells and whatever
materials required to make my own video cassettes. If someone out there
has implemented this, I would also be interrested in how the quality is
on these tapes are and what varied brands were tested.

brown@nicmad.UUCP (11/14/85)

In article <760@bu-cs.UUCP> rem@bu-cs.UUCP (Robert E. Mee) writes:
>Has anyone out in the net thought of (or implemented) using computer
>magtape in 2400' reels and placing it in empty video cassette shells?

DO NOT DO WHAT YOU ARE THINKING.  YOU WILL BE IN TROUBLE.

Computer tape is NOT formulated to work with video equipment.  Without
going into details of tape formulation, just believe that you would be in
trouble.
--

Mr. Video   {seismo!uwvax|decvax|ihnp4}!nicmad!brown

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (11/15/85)

In article <425@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <760@bu-cs.UUCP> rem@bu-cs.UUCP (Robert E. Mee) writes:
>>Has anyone out in the net thought of (or implemented) using computer
>>magtape in 2400' reels and placing it in empty video cassette shells?
>
>DO NOT DO WHAT YOU ARE THINKING.  YOU WILL BE IN TROUBLE.
>
>Computer tape is NOT formulated to work with video equipment.  Without
>going into details of tape formulation, just believe that you would be in
>trouble.

Just to confirm Mr.  Video's opinion.  I first heard a question  like  this
years  ago.  Then  it  was  in regard of using computer tape as audio tape.
The question was asked in a popular industry magazine (Pop'  'Tronics?  I'm
not  sure).  The  answer  was  that computer tape coatings are much coarser
than audio tape coatings and will damage the heads on an audio recorder.

Consider that video heads are much more sensitive and delicate  than  audio
heads.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (12/03/85)

> Has anyone out in the net thought of (or implemented) using computer
> magtape in 2400' reels and placing it in empty video cassette shells?
> I would be interested in purchasing the empty shells and whatever
> materials required to make my own video cassettes. If someone out there
> has implemented this, I would also be interrested in how the quality is
> on these tapes are and what varied brands were tested.

DON'T DO IT !!!!!
Don't even THINK about it!

Video tape's surface coating is specially made to make the rounds
of the helical head assembly.  If the suface is too smooth, it will
squeek or bind on the surface of the rotating head.  If the tape
is too coarse, it will cause shorter head life and leave deposites
on the head surface.

Just DON'T !!