[net.video] PAL to/from NTSC conversion and VCRs

ir682@sdcc6.UUCP (Gerald Steinberg{|ir}) (12/05/85)

Does anyone know whether I can take my standard VHS vcr which I use
here with the  NTSC north American TV system and use it in Europe
with a SONY 3-system TV receiver to play back my tapes?  can I
somehow record off the PAL-based TV?

brown@nicmad.UUCP (12/06/85)

In article <2324@sdcc6.UUCP> ir682@sdcc6.UUCP (Gerald Steinberg{|ir}) writes:
>Does anyone know whether I can take my standard VHS vcr which I use
>here with the  NTSC north American TV system and use it in Europe
>with a SONY 3-system TV receiver to play back my tapes?  can I
>somehow record off the PAL-based TV?

Here we go again.  This question is forever coming up.  The only way it is
going to go away is when we finally get an international TV standard.  It
is getting closer, but with High Definition TV.

Anyway, you will be able to play the tapes on the triple standard TV.
But you will NOT be able to record anything, except AFRTS (Armed Forces
Radio and Television Service).

You will also need a transformer to get the 220-240v down to 120v.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \