[net.video] Need info on AKAI VS603U HF vcr

rem@bu-cs.UUCP (Robert E. Mee) (12/06/85)

I am about to phone order an AKAI VS603U VCR from American Express.
This is a new HF unit that they recently put out. Has anyone had
any experiences with this unit or with any AKAI's? Also does anyone
know what other consumer electronics companies have invested interest
in AKAI?

Many Thanks,
Rob
| Robert Mee	Boston University Academic Computer Center	   |
| UUCP:	        ...!harvard!bu-cs!rem                              |
| ARPA:	        rem%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa                   |
| CSNET:	rem@bu-cs                                          |
+------------------------------------------------------------------%

marcos@sdchema.UUCP (Marcos Hatada) (12/09/85)

In article <804@bu-cs.UUCP>, rem@bu-cs.UUCP (Robert E. Mee) writes:

> I am about to phone order an AKAI VS603U VCR from American Express.
> This is a new HF unit that they recently put out. Has anyone had
> any experiences with this unit or with any AKAI's?

I recently purchased the 603U and am quite happy with it. It has the following
significant advantages over other hi-fi vcr's:

1) It has a "direct-control" mechanism for the tape drive, which results in
   fewer and lower mechanical noises when you're running the thing.

2) It has very easy to use on-screen programming. Even my mom, who has
   an aversion to these types of things, felt comfortable programming it.

3) The remote control is very complete, allowing you to do virtually anything
   you'd want to by remote.
Now the disadvantages:

1) It does not have an MTS decoder (i.e. it doesn't decode the stereo signal
   from the source signal)and does not have have outputs for an external
   decoder. This means that if you want the stereo signal, you'll have to
   decode it after it's run through the VCR (probably from the MTX jack of
   your TV, if it has one).
2) While it is "cable-ready" (whatever that mean, and can quartz tune
   139 stations, it does not have direct accestuning, which means when
   you first get it you'll have to search out the stations in your area
   (it will do this for you) and assign them station numbers (this is up
   to you). But you only have to do this once. Up to 16 pre-sets are allowed.

The 603U has been reviewed by several video magazines (I don't recall which),
and has received very favorable reviewsAs for price: I paid $499.99
(as in $500) for mine (*NOT* grey market) from the most unlikely source--
Target Department Stores (this is a cha, they may be in your area too,
I don't know). This is their "everyday low price", and, at least a couple
of months ago, was at least $100 less than anyone else's pric

Overall: if you can live with the disadvantages I've listed above (mainly 1),
and you can get it for a reasonable price, I think you'll be happy with it.
						   "Dr. DAP"

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (12/10/85)

My parents-in-law recently got a stereo Akai that was "cable-ready."
(I include quotation marks because it's limited to 14 channels, while their
cable has about 25.  That means if something they want to record shows up
on one of the Non-Sacred-14, they have to retune the Akai.)
It also has only two hour and six hour speeds, not four hour.

--Lee Gold

In article <500@sdchema.sdchema.UUCP> marcos@sdchema.UUCP (Marcos Hatada) writes:
>I recently purchased the 603U and am quite happy with it. It has the following
>significant advantages over other hi-fi vcr's:
>
>3) The remote control is very complete, allowing you to do virtually anything
>   you'd want to by remote.

Does this include zeroing the tape counter?  That's what I miss most on my
machine (I am constantly getting up and zeroing it now), and have yet to see
a machine that implements that.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa

marcos@sdchema.UUCP (David A. Pearlman) (12/12/85)

In article <980@cadovax.UUCP>, keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:
> Does this include zeroing the tape counter?  That's what I miss most on my
> machine (I am constantly getting up and zeroing it now), and have yet to see
> a machine that implements that.

Yes, the 603U does indeed allow zeroing of the tape counter by remote (as
well as the option to "return to zero", wherever that may be at the time).
You can even change the tracking by remote!
In fact, the ONLY things you can't do by remote (please, no flames if I
forget something) are:

1) reset the clock (not something you'll be doing very often, especially since}i
the 603U contains a battery which (it's claimed) will retain such info. for
about 6 hours. in the event of a power outage).

2) set the channel presets (presumably, you'll only do this when you first set
up the recorder, anyway. Once you put it into preset mode, the actual setting
CAN be done by remote).

3) change the recording speed (a little bit of an annoyance, if you tend to
switch between speeds often, but I suspect this was done to avoid accidental
changes).

4) set the audio source to external (i.e. your stereo receiver).

5) change the recording/playback mode from mono to hi-fi (only important
when renting a non hi-fi tape [otherwise you can leave it in hi-fi mode
at all times]).

6) Manually set the recording levels for external hi-fi recordings.
(Not normally necessary; the vcr will automatically set them).
7) Change the resolution from "normal" to "sharp" or "soft" (I've never
even touched this).
8) call Kate Bush or the Grateful Dead (oops, sorry, wrong group :-) ).

                                            David ("Dr. DAP") Pearlman