[net.video] Recording cable TV

bgo@ptsfc.UUCP (Bud Odekirk) (12/23/85)

There are many devices on the market that that will take the place of
the A-B switches, they look better, are easier to use, and are very easy
to install.

Radio Shack has one that sells for $39.95 (sometimes on sale for $29.95)
that will allow you to do any of the any of the following by just turning
a switch.

    1. Watch regular TV while recording a scrambled channel.
    2. Watch a scrambled station while recording a regular station.
    3. Watch a scrambled station and record the same.
    4. Play a video game while recording a regular or scrambled stations.
    5. Use a Personal Computer while recording regular or scrambled.

The only thing you can't do is record one scrambled station while watching
another scrambled station, and there is nothing that will allow you to do that
unless you have two unscramblers.

To install the box you will need a splitter and a few short pieces of cable.
Put the splitter on your incoming cable, add two short pieces of cable, connect
one to "cable" and the other to "antenna" on the back of the box. Everything
else connects to the back of the box. One thing to remember is that the output
from the box goes to the input of the VCR and the input from the box goes
to the output on the VCR.

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (12/26/85)

In article <493@ptsfc.UUCP> bgo@ptsfc.UUCP (Bud Odekirk) writes:
  (Concerning video switchers)
>Radio Shack has one that sells for $39.95 (sometimes on sale for $29.95)
>            ...                       One thing to remember is that the output
>from the box goes to the input of the VCR and the input from the box goes
>to the output on the VCR.

That's something to remember?  I wish my TEAC worked as logically as that.
When I connected it up I did it the obvious way, connecting outputs to
inputs, but it didn't work.  After looking at the manual I discovered that
what was labeled "VCR in" on the back of the TEAC switcher was in fact
an OUTPUT, while "VCR out" was an INPUT.  Yes, folks, they did it that
way on purpose and said so in the manual.  Therefore I had to connect
the "VCR in" to the VCR input and "VCR out" to the VCR output.

Am I the only one who thinks "VCR out" should mean "output to a VCR" rather
than "input from a VCR?"  Suppose makers of VCR's and other video components
got equally clever with their labelling?
--
Dave Seaman	  					pur-ee!pucc-h!ags