[net.video] "rectified video"

speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) (12/14/85)

OK Mr. Video, the real or substitute, on all of the new superBeta decks
that I have seen there is an "edit" switch which should be placed into
"edit" position on the playback machine when copying tapes from one
machine to another.  My owners manuals say, in the finest pigeon Japaneese,
that normally the video signal is "rectified" but that this switch turns
of this rectification for better copies.

Huh?

When I flip the switch, the change is very subtle, but definite.  Some
edge peakiness seems to disappear.  Does this "rectification" cause more
video amp ringing?

Care to share any light on this?

--Kne

brown@nicmad.UUCP (12/16/85)

In article <576@ttidcb.UUCP> speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) writes:
>OK Mr. Video, the real or substitute, on all of the new superBeta decks
>that I have seen there is an "edit" switch which should be placed into
>"edit" position on the playback machine when copying tapes from one
>machine to another.  My owners manuals say, in the finest pigeon Japaneese,
>that normally the video signal is "rectified" but that this switch turns
>of this rectification for better copies.
>
>Huh?
>
>When I flip the switch, the change is very subtle, but definite.  Some
>edge peakiness seems to disappear.  Does this "rectification" cause more
>video amp ringing?
>
>Care to share any light on this?

Huh! is right.  A video signal is never 'rectified', at least not how I
know the word rectified.

From what I have heard about the switch that has been added, it is supposed
to be for playing non-SuperBeta tapes.  Now, if your machine has both an
'edit' switch and a 'normal/SuperBeta' switch, then I am at a loss.  We are
then going to need an answer from another owner of a SuperBeta machine.

What I like are good VHS questions.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

andre@nrcvax.UUCP (Andre Hut) (12/28/85)

In article <470@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <576@ttidcb.UUCP> speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) writes:
>>OK Mr. Video, the real or substitute, on all of the new superBeta decks
>>that I have seen there is an "edit" switch which should be placed into
>>"edit" position on the playback machine when copying tapes from one
>>machine to another.  My owners manuals say, in the finest pigeon Japaneese,
>>that normally the video signal is "rectified" but that this switch turns
>>of this rectification for better copies.
>>
>>Huh?
>>
>>When I flip the switch, the change is very subtle, but definite.  Some
>>edge peakiness seems to disappear.  Does this "rectification" cause more
>>video amp ringing?
>>
>>Care to share any light on this?
>
>Huh! is right.  A video signal is never 'rectified', at least not how I
>know the word rectified.
>
>From what I have heard about the switch that has been added, it is supposed
>to be for playing non-SuperBeta tapes.  Now, if your machine has both an
>'edit' switch and a 'normal/SuperBeta' switch, then I am at a loss.  We are
>then going to need an answer from another owner of a SuperBeta machine.
>
>What I like are good VHS questions.

I am an owner of a SuperBeta machine, (Sony SLHF900).  The VCR indeed has
both a 'normal/SuperBeta' switch and a 'edit' switch.  The edit switch
has nothing to do what-so-ever with whether or not the tape is Beta or
SuperBeta.  What the owners manual says about it is that if you are
recording from another VCR, the edit switch should be on, and if it is
from another source, off.  What it claims is that all VCRS have a
'rectification circuit' (I am not entirely sure what that is, but I will
post it if I ever find out) and that the 'edit' switch somehow cancels
this out, because it is not needed for a tape-to-tape copy.

At least this answers one of the questions.

Andre' Hut
	Network Research Corporation
	923 Executive Park Drive Suite C
	Salt Lake City, Utah 84121

UUCP: {ihnp4,ucbvax!calma,{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax}!nrcvax!nrcutah!andre