[net.video] Cheap places for tape.

jeff@hpcnoe.UUCP (12/12/85)

>                                Let me follow Consumer Reports lead
> and recommend Scotch video tapes. Yes, I know their reputation on
> audio tapes, but their vid's are excellent (suprising at 6hr speed).

I like Scotch video tapes, but I had couple problems with their tapes.
1.  Rewinding one broke the tape off the reel.  2.  The second tape
was missing the audio, but whats even worse, the audio stayed off
even when I put in another tape.  Finally I cleaned the tape head and
the audio came back.  Probably some sort of particles flaking off the
tape?

Anyway, now I am fairly hesitant to buy Scotch video tapes.  Has anyone
else have problems with Scotch tapes?

-- Jeff Wu

tomp@amiga.UUCP (Tom Pohorsky) (12/12/85)

  lately, East-West imports on El Camino at Henderson in S'vale,CA
has excellent prices on tapes. Let me follow Consumer Reports lead
and recommend Scotch video tapes. Yes, I know their reputation on
audio tapes, but their vid's are excellent (suprising at 6hr speed).
   For you out in net-land, I don't know if they do mail order, but
they have branches in Berkeley, Chicago, New York (is that in order of
importance? :-). Also, the New York Times's Arts and Leisure (I think)
section has juicy mail order ads near the back of the section, they
seemed to have some real good prices.

speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) (12/16/85)

In article <391@amiga.amiga.UUCP> tomp@stella.UUCP (Tom Pohorsky) writes:

>Let me follow Consumer Reports lead
>and recommend Scotch video tapes. Yes, I know their reputation on
>audio tapes, but their vid's are excellent (suprising at 6hr speed).

I second the Scotch recommendation.  I used to use Maxell HGX-GOLD for
everything but a friend got me to try the (higher quality) Scotch tapes.
I had tried the lower grades two years before and they were garbage.  The
new stuff (EXG and EXG HiFi) were excellant.  I have switched to this tape
which I find to be as good as the Maxell, a buck or so cheaper, and US made
to boot!

--Kne

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (12/20/85)

> Well, my favorite place for cheap blank tape closed-down a
> while ago (Video Discount Showcase in Sunnyvale CA) and I
> have yet to find a decent local source for Fuji or Maxell
> at a low LOW price.  So, what are some of your lowest-priced
> buy-by-the-case mail order places?
>
> Gary
> (hplabs,allegra,ihnp4)oliveb!olivee!gnome

Try Frys in Sunnyvale at the corner of Oakmead Parkway and Lakeside.
It's a combination Drug store and computer-electronics shop.  They
have a wide selection of video tapes at what seems to be reasonable
prices.

copp@petrus.UUCP (12/23/85)

I have used about 20 standard grade Scotch T120s and have had no trouble.
However I have a two-head Panasonic and use the six-hour speed.
Perhaps people with better gear and higher standards have other opinions.

ajs@hpfcla.UUCP (12/25/85)

Re: Scotch VHS tape

I've used that brand and been happy with it.

Alan Silverstein

jeff@wjvax.UUCP (Jeff Albom) (12/25/85)

I once bought a Scotch standard grade VHS tape and was extremely disappointed.
I bought this tape after reading the Consumer Reports article that had praised
the Scotch brand tape.  I found the Scotch tape to have the worst drop outs that
I had ever seen ( yes, even worse than tapes like PD Magnetics).  I never bought
another Scotch tape after that.
                                                   jeff@wjvax

terry2@ihlpm.UUCP (Nelson) (12/30/85)

> >                                Let me follow Consumer Reports lead
> > and recommend Scotch video tapes. Yes, I know their reputation on
> > audio tapes, but their vid's are excellent (suprising at 6hr speed).
> I like Scotch video tapes, but I had couple problems with their tapes.
> Anyway, now I am fairly hesitant to buy Scotch video tapes.  Has anyone
> else have problems with Scotch tapes?

   About three weeks ago I purchased three Scotch standard grade
VHS tapes.  The two main reasons for my purchase was price (they
were on sale) and Scotchs' advertising claim of a superior formulation
resulting in reduced drop-outs (I HATE drop-outs!).  Well, the
number of drop-outs on all three of these tapes was extremely
high, the worst I've ever seen.  I returned the three tapes and
exchanged them for standard grade Maxells.  Almost no drop-outs
on the Maxells - definitely worth the $4.88 I paid for each tape!!
   I can't believe the Scotch tapes that I had were the same that
Consumer Reports thought to be so good.  Their quality control
must be horrible.
--

..ihnp4!ihlpm!terry2   =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-   "All this is
                       |      Terry Nelson      |   because of me
      Keep             | AT&T Bell Laboratories |   and not my
       It              |  Naperville, Illinois  |   employer!"
        Warm           =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

dob@ihlpa.UUCP (Daniel M. O'Brien) (12/30/85)

>    About three weeks ago I purchased three Scotch standard grade
> VHS tapes.
>                                                      Well, the
> number of drop-outs on all three of these tapes was extremely
> high, the worst I've ever seen.
>    I can't believe the Scotch tapes that I had were the same that
> Consumer Reports thought to be so good.  Their quality control
> must be horrible.

I can second that!  I bought two Scotch tapes, one the standard grade and
one the XHG.  The standard grade was just fine, no dropouts but the XHG was
terrible (no - I didn't get them switched!).  I sent the XHG back to the
factory for exchange asking for a standard grade.  In the meantime I bought
a second standard grade.  Quality was only ok - a few dropouts.  The factory
finally sent me a standard grade that was only slightly better than the
second standard I purchased.

The very first tape, the best of the bunch, appears to be from a different
lot that than other two.

Oh well, maybe I'll try KODAK next!

---
			Daniel M. O'Brien (ihnp4!ihlpa!dob)