[net.video] VHS copying

heneghan@ihlpa.UUCP (Joe Heneghan) (12/12/85)

I'm planning to copy some tapes from one HIFI VHS to another.
I'm going to buy a gold plated video connector and use the
standard connectors for the audio. I was wondering if I
needed to do anything else. Someone told me I needed a
"copycat" box because of the "tape guard". I would appreciate
any info. on this subject. Thanx in advance.
						Joe Heneghan

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (12/13/85)

[]

	"I'm planning to copy some tapes from one HIFI VHS to another.
	I'm going to buy a gold plated video connector and use the
	standard connectors for the audio. I was wondering if I needed
	to do anything else. Someone told me I needed a "copycat" box
	because of the "tape guard". I would appreciate any info. on
	this subject. Thanx in advance."

The best advice is not to copy the tape, but instead to buy your own
legitimate copy.

There are still many people (including new readers of net.video) who
don't realize that duplicating a copyrighted tape is theft.  If you
want this program badly enough to pay the owner's price, then do so.
But if a high price on a stereo wouldn't motivate you to steal from the
stereo store, then you shouldn't steal video software.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!tekecs!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (tekecs!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

dgrif@hpfcla.UUCP (12/15/85)

small flame on

 Why is it that when someone mentions copying VHS tapes someone else
jumps to the conclusion that copyright material is being duplicated?
Maybe the original poster of this note is duplicating pictures of
his kids for the grandparents! Personally I often copy a tape that
I have made with a portable VCR and a camera, mostly editing out junk and
saving a polished, finished product that can be shown to friends, relatives,
etc. Lighten up and help the guy with what probably is a legitimate request.

flame off.

Dan Griffin   (Hewlett Packard Co.       {ihnp4,hplabs}!hpfcla!griffin )
(appropriate disclaimer about my opinions not being employer opinions)

brown@nicmad.UUCP (12/15/85)

In article <931@ihlpa.UUCP> heneghan@ihlpa.UUCP (Joe Heneghan) writes:
>I'm planning to copy some tapes from one HIFI VHS to another.
>I'm going to buy a gold plated video connector and use the
>standard connectors for the audio. I was wondering if I
>needed to do anything else. Someone told me I needed a
>"copycat" box because of the "tape guard". I would appreciate
>any info. on this subject. Thanx in advance.

No, you don't need anything else.  The old style copyguard hasn't been
used on tapes for quite a few years now.  Besides, most table-top VHS
decks will ignore the copyguard, which is probably one reason why it was
dropped.

But, some tapes are now recorded with Macrovision anti-copy signal.  When
the movie 'Cotton Club' came out, I checked it over to see how it worked.
Well, needless to say, it will be easy to defeat.  But, the designers of
Macrovision have said that refinements have been made and I have yet to
see what it looks like.  But, I am assuming that it will also be defeatable.
Because they can't put any protection information directly in the video
picture area, it has to be placed into the sync area.  That allows
someone to make something that will defeat it.

Time will tell how well Macrovision does.  BTW, there is talk of it
showing up on one or more cable pay channels, directly from the
supplier, like HBO.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (12/20/85)

>> "I'm planning to copy some tapes from one HIFI VHS to another.
>
> The best advice is not to copy the tape, but instead to buy your own
> legitimate copy.

You might at least mention that if he's copying home movies or anything else on
which there is no copyright or he owns it, there's no such problem.  (Yes, I
agree the comments on copyguard sound like he's talking about pre-recorded
tapes, but not all tapers understand what copyguard is or how it gets there.)

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

andre@nrcvax.UUCP (Andre Hut) (12/28/85)

In article <8000001@hpfcdj.UUCP> dgrif@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>small flame on
>
> Why is it that when someone mentions copying VHS tapes someone else
>jumps to the conclusion that copyright material is being duplicated?
>Maybe the original poster of this note is duplicating pictures of
>his kids for the grandparents! Personally I often copy a tape that
>I have made with a portable VCR and a camera, mostly editing out junk and
>saving a polished, finished product that can be shown to friends, relatives,
>etc. Lighten up and help the guy with what probably is a legitimate request.
>
>flame off.

I think the point here was that if there is a copy-guard, it implies
a copyright.  Any any case, anyone who broadcasts to this net (many of
which are government computers) that he is doing anything illegal has
got to be out of his mind.

Andre' Hut
	Network Research Corporation
	923 Executive Park Drive Suite C
	Salt Lake City, Utah 84121

UUCP: {ihnp4,ucbvax!calma,{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax}!nrcvax!nrcutah!andre

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (01/03/86)

> In article <8000001@hpfcdj.UUCP> dgrif@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
> >small flame on
> >
> > Why is it that when someone mentions copying VHS tapes someone else
> >jumps to the conclusion that copyright material is being duplicated?
> >etc. Lighten up and help the guy with what probably is a legitimate request.
> >
> >flame off.
> >
> I think the point here was that if there is a copy-guard, it implies
> a copyright.
>--
> Andre' Hut

The point, as dgrif said, is to "lighten up."  The original poster said
nothing about copyguard.  He asked only about video enhancers.  Someone else
jumped to conclusions.  (And I always thought a person was innocent until
proven guilty.)
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@saber.uucp,  sun!saber!msc@decwrl.dec.com ...{ihnp4,sun}!saber!msc