Date: 9 Jun 1985 21:12-PDT
Sender: JOHN@SRI-CSL
Subject: Ultimate Remote Controller?
From:  John McLean <john@sri-csl.arpa>
To: videotech@SRI-CSL
Cc: john@SRI-CSL
Remailed-date:  9 Jun 1985 2324-PDT
Remailed-from: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <VideoTech@SRI-CSL>

"Here at the Consumer Electronics Show.........GE has come up with
a remote control wand ($150) that can 'learn' and thereafter duplicate
the commands of all your other remote controllers."

                    --From the June 9 issue of the San Jose Mercury News

That's all the article said regarding this remote controller.  Sounds
to me that this could be a real aid to many videophile / audiophile
types.  Anybody know any of the details on this item?

John
 9-Nov-85 20:48:59-PST,677;000000000000
Date: Sat 9 Nov 85 11:11:30-EST
From: "Bob Soron " <Mly.G.Pogo%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: GE's new Multi-Remote Control (query)
To: videotech@SRI-CSL.ARPA
ReSent-Date: Sat 9 Nov 85 20:48:59-PST
ReSent-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
ReSent-To: VideoTech: ;

	Anyone been using this baby yet?  Does it live up
to the advance reviews?  Also, what does it cost?  None of
the mentions I've seen in the magazines have given a price.

...Bob

-------
11-Nov-85 23:23:01-PST,964;000000000000
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 85 13:44 EST
From: FREER.WBST@Xerox.ARPA
Subject: Re: GE's new Multi-Remote Control (query)
To: "Bob Soron " <Mly.G.Pogo%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>
cc: videotech@SRI-CSL.ARPA
ReSent-Date: Mon 11 Nov 85 23:23:01-PST
ReSent-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
ReSent-To: VideoTech: ;

I've not used one, but the articles I've read give it a glowing review.
One article in particular (I believe from the November STV mag.) said it
was very flexible, easy to program, and basically did all it is
advertised to do.  The cost is, as far as I'm concerned, a little high
at $159.95.  I'm sure the price will come down as time goes on.

John

 8-Dec-85 22:02:56-PST,982;000000000000
Date: 6 Dec 1985 13:24-EST
Sender: MHARRIS@BBNA.ARPA
Subject: GE Universal Remote Control -- Info Wanted
From: MHARRIS@BBNA.ARPA
To: Videotech@SRI-CSL.ARPA
Cc: MHarris@BBNA.ARPA
ReSent-Date: Sun 8 Dec 85 22:02:56-PST
ReSent-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
ReSent-To: VideoTech: ;

Greetings--

I know I've seen words about the General Electric Replace-Many-Wireless-
Remotes-With-One widget go by on this mailing list, but I can't locate
those words again now that I care.  Help?  Has anyone bought/used one?
Does it REALLY work?  How do you install/program it?  How big is it?  Can
one customize its button labels?  Are there any other gadgets which do
this trick?  I am setting up a new home video/audio center from scratch.
Thanks for all help.

--Michael Harris
 9-Dec-85 21:03:21-PST,1646;000000000000
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 85 11:35 PST
From: Thomka.es@Xerox.ARPA
Subject: Re: GE Universal Remote Control -- Info Wanted
To: MHARRIS@BBNA.ARPA
cc: Videotech@SRI-CSL.ARPA
ReSent-Date: Mon 9 Dec 85 21:03:21-PST
ReSent-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
ReSent-To: VideoTech: ;

As to the price and size of the GE Control Central:

Retail is either $150 or $160, however Fedco (a Los Angeles membership
discount department store) has it for $139.87

The size is about 3.5" wide, 8" long and a max thickness of about 0.75"
(it is tapered, with the LCD display end being the thick end, and the
keyboard end getting down to about 0.5").

The unit will replace up to four different separate IR controls.  This
is a unique gadget, nothing else yet has been made to do what it does
(However, Panasonic/Quasar has a combined TV/VCR control, and then there
is the RCA Dimensions IR control, etc.  All of these, though, require
common brand names.  The GE unit learns any IR brands commands and
mimics them.  Thus, you could use it for just about anything that has an
IR control - TVs, VCRs, cable boxes, stereos, CD players, video disk
players, etc.).  But if it becomes popular I can see where they will put
a timer in it also so that you can have automated turn-ons and turn-offs
of your IR controled equipment.

	Chuck

13-Dec-85 21:03:06-PST,1393;000000000000
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 85 13:33 EST
From: Jonathan Ostrowsky <jo@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>
Subject: Another programmable remote control
To: videotech@SRI-CSL.ARPA
ReSent-Date: Fri 13 Dec 85 21:03:06-PST
ReSent-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
ReSent-To: VideoTech: ;

FYI:

   This year, General Electric introduced Central Command, a $149 device that
 copies as many as four infrared remote controls [for items like VCRs, TVs,
 stereo systems - TT], of any brands, to become a master remote for all four
 electronic devices. A GE spokesman says sales are exceeding expectations.
   Wozniak's company will ship a more-sophisticated version of GE's product
 next spring. Tentatively dubbed "I R Servant" and priced under $200, it will
 be programmable so that channel changes, for example, can be set in advance.
 CL9 also is testing a voice-actuated remote control. "I don't know if people
 really want to say a word rather than push a button," says Mr. Wozniak. "But
 it sure would be a big showoff."
	{The Wall Street Journal, 11-Dec-85, p. 35}

15-Dec-85 20:12:39-PST,2008;000000000000
Date:           Sun, 15 Dec 85 12:19:34 PST
From:           "David G. Cantor" <dgc@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU>
To:             Videotech@SRI-CSL.ARPA
ReSent-Date: Sun 15 Dec 85 20:12:39-PST
ReSent-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
ReSent-To: VideoTech: ;

I just purchased the GE "Control Central" and it works as claimed
(almost).  It has four settings:  TV, VCR, Cable, and Aux.  In each one
you may program the various buttons on it to mimic another infra-red
control.  This is done by aiming the other control at it and pressing
the corresponding buttons simultaneously.

I programmed it to control my TV, Cable box and VCR.  Everything worked
well with one exception.  There are some controls that you want to be
the same in all settings, e.g. I would like the volume controls on the
Control Center to control the TV volume, regardless of setting.  I was
able to do this in the VCR setting -- so whether the device is set
to VCR or TV its volume controls control the TV volume.  I tried to
do this in the cable setting, aiming the TV remote control at it and
pressing the "increase volume" buttons on each, simultaneosly.  The
device claimed that it had learned the setting, but it hadn't and sends
out no signal at all.  It had no trouble learning the Cable remote
control buttons, however.

The instructions state, cryptically, that some controls may not be mixed
on one setting, but doesn't say which or why.  I called the 800 number
given but the person at the other end knew less than I did.

Does anyone know what these limitations are and why?

David G. Cantor

ARPA:   dgc@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU      (current)
ARPA:   dgc@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA     (former)
UUCP:   ...!{ihnp4, randvax, sdcrdcf, ucbvax}!ucla-cs!dgc
22-Dec-85 11:08:29-PST,3782;000000000000
Date:           Mon, 16 Dec 85 09:37:21 PST
From:           "David G. Cantor" <dgc@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU>
To:             Videotech@SRI-CSL.ARPA
Subject:        GE Universal Remote Control -- description
ReSent-Date: Sun 22 Dec 85 11:08:29-PST
ReSent-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
ReSent-To: VideoTech: ;

I received requests for a more detailed description of this device.

1.  I purchased model RRC600 from AdRays (a local discount house) for
    $145.90 + sales tax.

2.  It is a single unit, whose front dimensions are 8" by 3".  It is
    5/8" inch thick, except for a slightly over 2 inch square bulge for
    the batteries, which is 1 1/4" inch thick, and it weighs 1 pound.
    This makes it slightly larger than the typical TV infrared (IR)
    remote control.  The buttons are slightly larger, too, which makes
    it much easier to use.  It appears to be sturdily made, certainly better
    than the other IR controls I have, which are sold by Sony, NEC, RCA,
    and Scientific Atlanta.  It uses 4 AAA batteries.  Its manual states
    that it has an "8 bit microcomputer ... a nonvolatile memory and a
    liquid crystal display".

3.  All controls (except a reset and the switch to put it in "learn"
    mode) are on the front panel.  It can be set to one of four sources:
    TV, VCR, CABLE, AUX, which it cycles through by repeatedly pressing
    the button marked "source".  The lcd display tells you which source
    is currently in use.

    The basic concept is that the remaining buttons have one of four
    meanings, depending upon the chosen source.  It comes preprogammed
    for GE devices and resetting puts it back in that mode.  Otherwise
    you must first program it for your IR controls. to do this, you must
    put it in "learn mode", select the mode, and program a key on it by
    aiming another remote control at it and pressing buttons on each
    simultaneously.  The lcd display "walks you through" the relatively
    simply procedure.

    The remaining 32 programmable buttons come in a number of groups.
    In addition, there are a number of (in effect) additional keys which
    are selected, one after the other, by pressing the "function" key.
    The selected "function" is displayed in the lcd window.  The type of
    function available (of course this simply means the name used) is
    determined by the source.

    There are some limitations, e.g. the cryptic statement "Note:  There
    are some transmitters that cannot be mixed in a single SOURCE."  I,
    apparently, ran into this one.  Here "trnasmitters" refers to IR
    controls.

4.  Some thoughts of my own:  This is obviously an inexpensive, flexible
    technology.  A number of companies already sell "repeaters" for
    re-transmitting these IR signals when the desired receiver is out
    of sight.  There doesn't seem to be any reason that this type of
    remote contor couldn't be used where the BSR remote power controls
    are now used and for a variety of other purposes, from controlling
    microwave ovens to opening garage doors.  Already there are reports
    that more sophisticated devices of this type are under development
    (with built-in timers and sophisticated programming, etc.).  I hope
    that industry develops some standards.  I probably don't want my IR
    computer keyboard turning on my compact disk player.

David G. Cantor

ARPA:	dgc@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU	(current)
ARPA:	dgc@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA	(former)
UUCP:	...!{ihnp4, randvax, sdcrdcf, ucbvax}!ucla-cs!dgc
23-Dec-85 16:41:45-PST,2525;000000000000
Date:     Mon, 23 Dec 85 10:04:53 CST
From:     Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI <wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA>
To:       videotech@SRI-CSL.ARPA
Subject:  Re:  GE Universal Remote Control -- description
ReSent-Date: Mon 23 Dec 85 16:41:45-PST
ReSent-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
ReSent-To: VideoTech: ;

Re this (and other brands) of infrared remote controls: How do these operate?
Do they all send different sequences or arrangements of pulses of the same
frequency of infrared light? Or do they emit different frequencies within
a certain band of infrared (coupled with pulse arrangements for different
functions)?

I ask this because I would think that it would be relatively expensive to
produce emitting devices and filtering on the receiver end that would
distinguish between "close" freqencies of infrared light. Detecting any
infrared present and signalling off-on-off for pulses would, on the
other hand, be easy and cheap. So I suspect the latter, but would like
verification.

This leads me to believe that it would be cheap to make a programmable
universal remote that would not have the limitiations the GE has, which
several people have mentioned. I envision one where you could manually
tell it to send, say, dah-di-di-dah-dah in infrared, with the "di" and
"dah" pulse lengths specified, and see what that does (maybe it turns
your TV on to channel 37 and also moves your CD player to track 2, or
whatever). This might be fun to mess with. You might use such a device
to discover built-in capabilities in remote-controlled devices that
are not available from your factory-supplied remote, or determine what
conflicts you might have [like the above, where the same code causes
different devices to do different things]. Such a doohickey might be
a neat peripheral for a home computer, to provide essentially unlimited
numbers of codes or sequences.

I would think it could be constructed out of a few chips and discrete
components. If the remotes emit different frequencies, though, it
becomes more complex to build. However, such a variable could again be
easily computer-controlled. It raises the number of possible output
codes by several orders of magnitude, though. Any comments?

Will

ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA     USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin
24-Dec-85 21:21:32-PST,1899;000000000000
Date: Tue 24 Dec 85 10:51:44-PST
From: Ole Jorgen Jacobsen <OLE@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
To: wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA
cc: videotech@SRI-CSL.ARPA, OLE@SRI-NIC.ARPA
ReSent-Date: Tue 24 Dec 85 21:21:32-PST
ReSent-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
ReSent-To: VideoTech: ;

Most IR remotes use Pulse Postion Modulation (PPM). Each function is
either a continuous  characteristic pulse train (for things like volume
up/down) or a shorter burst of one characteristic pulse train. The
frequency of modulation is usually only about 500Hz to 1kHz (at least
the ones I've seen). Redundancy is heavily employed, i.e. it may take
several repetitions of a single pulse train to make the receiver
"capture" any given function. Thus even the shorter burst are really
several repetitions of the same thing. PPM is best understood if you
hook your remote control unit up to an oscilloscope. The idea is to
modulate a carrier in time so that pulses appear in different positions
on the timescale. If you combine this with turning the pulses on and
off (rather like ASCII character encoding), you get the desired effect.

At the receiver, little light-filtering is employed apart from some
colored plastic to minimize the effect of sunlight. IR LED's and their
PIN (receiver) counterparts have a fairly narrow light bandwidth.
The modulators and demodulators are cheap TTL or CMOS chips which you
can get from any decent electronics store, so building your own
system is trivial.

Ole
-------
29-Dec-85 09:04:38-PST,4036;000000000000
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 85 12:59 PST
From: Doug Evans <DE@GODZILLA.SCH.Symbolics.COM>
To: Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI <wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA>,
    videotech@SRI-CSL.ARPA
ReSent-Date: Sun 29 Dec 85 09:04:37-PST
ReSent-From: the tty of Geoffrey S. Goodfellow  <Geoff@SRI-CSL.ARPA>
ReSent-To: VideoTech: ;

I am intimately familiar with Sony infra-red remotes; I assume most
others are similar in operation.

Sony generally uses carrier frequencies of 400 KHz to 500 KHz. The
carrier is modulated on and off to produce bursts of three different
widths which I'll call wide (approximately 20 cycles of 400KHz), medium
(approx 10 cycles), and narrow (approx 5 cycles).

A wide burst is used at the beginning of each command string to sync the
IR-receiver to the IR-transmitter.

Then two six-bit words are transmitted using narrow bursts as a logic
"0" and medium bursts as a logic "1".

The first six bit word is an access code, which is different for each
type of equipment; i.e. TV, VCR, CD player, stereo receiver.  Thus, a TV
remote that may be on the same frequency as a VCR remote cannot send
bogus commands to the VCR.

The second six bit word is the command word. Almost all Sony remotes use
the same IC which allows an 8 x 8 keyboard matrix - which allows 64
different buttons and commands. 64 combinations can be described in six
bits, hence the six bit command word.

[...]

You're right. Such stuff would be easy. The limitations of the GE are
all related to size. It isn't easy to stuff a microcomputer with
sophisticated sampling programing and enough memory to do everything
everyone wants into a package that small. And who wants a Video/Stereo
remote the size of a Apple computer?

    I would think it could be constructed out of a few chips and discrete
    components. If the remotes emit different frequencies, though, it
    becomes more complex to build. However, such a variable could again be
    easily computer-controlled. It raises the number of possible output
    codes by several orders of magnitude, though. Any comments?

Anything is possible. How much do you want to pay? GE and everyone else
looks at how much money they can make off these products.

Have you seen any of the Videotech mail on the Wozniack remote in the
works?
*** End of extract from archives ***

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (01/09/86)

Here is a bit of traffic on the GE Remote Control-related subject that
has not yet been distributed to the Videotech list, due to its current
state of inaction (I think the moderator changed jobs and its been left
hanging...). I had mailed copies of these, so I brought them over here
for posting:

Date: Thu, 2 Jan 86 17:31 PST
From: Thomka.es@XEROX.ARPA
To: Will Martin -- AMXAL-RI <wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA>
cc: videotech@SRI-CSL.ARPA

Right on your second guess.  The IR units send out combinations of dit's
and dah's.  The manufacturer specifies the length of their own dit's and
dah's, though.  I believe the IR spectrum may be too narrow to cheaply
make IR frequency selective units.  Also, I haven't seen IR diode light
output frequency specifications tight enough to allow for it any way.

The IR repeater's (I have one called the Xtra-Link by Videolink) only
have to have an IR receiver to sense the IR signal, then duplicate it -
all dit's and dah's, of whatever length, are thus carried.

	Chuck

Date: Sat 4 Jan 86 11:08:25-PST
From: Doug <Faunt%HP-THOR@HPLABS.ARPA>
Subject: Remote controls
To: DE@SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA
Cc: Faunt%HP-THOR@hplabs.ARPA, wmartin@ALMSA-1.ARPA, videotech@SRI-CSL.ARPA

 I got to examine the new product from Wozniak's company.
It's named TYRON (with a bar over the "o" to indicate a long "o").
It'll sell for $20. and will be available soon.
Apparently Woz bought the first run, 500 units, to give away.
It's a IR remote control power booster that's kind of cute.
The packaging is neat, also.

It's about 1 3/4" wide, and is basically a cylinder of about 1 1/4"
diameter with a slice taken out of it so from the end it looks like a
PACMAN character with a LONG lower "lip" for attaching it to the
remote control.  The remote goes into the "mouth", with the lower
"lip" attached to the bottom of the remote by double-sided tape, with
the output lens of the remote up against a rubber gasket surrounding
the input lens of the amplifier.  The entire thing is made of
a dark red, IR transparent plastic.  The larger part of the
cylinder is occupied by the 9V battery that powers it.  The battery is
also the major part of the weight.

                . .----------------------
             .    :         remote      |
            .     ...........------------
             .    .. . * *
                .
		^

	      TYRON (Connect the dots to make a 3/4 circle)
		side view (the scale is off, for the remotes we have)

The rumor is that the combined remote will have a computer
interface, and a 6502, and won't be available for 6 months or so.

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (01/09/86)

Here is a posting from net.analog about the GE Remote; moved over here
for completeness' sake.

From seismo!lll-crg!ucdavis!ucbvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-chips!schumacher
Newsgroups: net.analog
Subject: Programmable Infrared Remote Control
Date: 7 Jan 86 14:45:27 GMT
Sender: daemon@decwrl.DEC.COM

   While I was working at General Electric C.R.&D. a friend of mine developed
an infrared remote control which mimics other infrared remote controls.  To
program it, you point the 2 remote controls at each other, push a key on the
programmable version, and then a key on the no-programmable remote control.
Now those two keys are equivalent (they both emit the same infrared code).
Once the entire no-programmable remote control keyboard is 'stored' in the
programmable version, you can then place it in its 2nd mode, and procede to
mimic your next remote control.

   I can't remember how many remote controls it can mimic at once, nor can
I remember how many keys are on the programmable control.

   This is now a product which is sold by General Electric.  I have yet to
find a store which sells it (the price is approx. $170), but I have seen
ads for it, and talk of it in magazines.  I believe there was mention of it
in 'Stereo Review' in an article of new products.  Possibly other USENET
contacts will let you find one.

		Dan Schumacher
		Digital Equipment Corp.
		75 Reed Road, Hudson, MA 01749-2895