[net.video] HQ VHS

andyc@hplsla.UUCP (andyc) (12/24/85)

From an earlier net.video discussion:

>	"Has anyone heard when the new "Super VHS" is supposed to come
>	out? I really want to get a new vcr but am holding out for the
>	improved format."
>
>It's called "HQ VHS" and is available now in the JVC models HR-D566U
>and HR-D565U.  Both models are HiFi; the former has an MTS decoder in
>the tuner.

It's also available in the JVC HR-D151U. I just bought one here in
Seattle for $399. It's a basic machine but it does have a picture that
is a substantial improvement over standard VHS. The machine has a some
"features" that undoubtedly help JVC offer this unit at so low a price:

	1) The remote control is detachable and doubles as the front
	   panel controls. If you lose or break your remote control,
	   you're out of commission.

	2) Though cable-ready, there are only 12 channel presets.

	3) The machine records only in the "SP" and "ELP" (2 and 6
	   hour) speeds. The "SLP" (4 hour) speed has been omitted.
	   Quality in the ELP speed is about as good as a standard
	   VHS deck in the SLP mode (which is to say, bleagh!).

Andy Cassino
("The views expressed herein are solely those of the author".)

brown@nicmad.UUCP (12/26/85)

In article <14200002@hplsla.UUCP> andyc@hplsla.UUCP (andyc) writes:
>	3) The machine records only in the "SP" and "ELP" (2 and 6
>	   hour) speeds. The "SLP" (4 hour) speed has been omitted.
>	   Quality in the ELP speed is about as good as a standard
>	   VHS deck in the SLP mode (which is to say, bleagh!).

Sorry to butt in, but a little lesson in VHS speed terminology is needed.

SP  - Standard Play: fastest possible speed
LP  - Long Play: 1/2 SP speed
SLP - Super Long Play: 1/3 SP speed
EP  - Extended Play:  another name for SLP

JVC has never supported recording in the LP mode.  But they do play it back.
So, your deck has the SP and SLP/EP speeds for recording and the SP, LP and
SLP/EP speeds for playing back.  I have been through 3 JVC decks (currently
have one of them) and they all play back LP, but do none of the special
effects in that speed.
--

              ihnp4------\
            harvard-\     \

jib@prism.UUCP (12/27/85)

Just for the record, NO JVC VCR made in at least the last 3 years (maybe
more) RECRDS in LP speed, not even the top of the line models.

Jim Block  {cca, ihnp4!inmet, mit-eddie, wjh12, datacube} !mirror!prism!jib

Mirror Systems, Inc.	2067 Massachusetts Ave.
(617) 661-0777		Cambridge, MA 02140

speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) (12/27/85)

In article <14200002@hplsla.UUCP> andyc@hplsla.UUCP (andyc) writes:

>>It's called "HQ VHS" and is available now in the JVC models HR-D566U
>>and HR-D565U.  Both models are HiFi; the former has an MTS decoder in
>>the tuner.
>
>It's also available in the JVC HR-D151U. I just bought one here in
>Seattle for $399.

Actually, this machine has only part of the HQ package:  raised white-clip
level.  The luminance and chrominance averaging ("noise reduction") was
not included.  However, on the HQ machine which I tested, turning on the
noise reduction did little (if any) improvement (at SP), so you got the
best part of the package.

FLAME ON:  It seems that JVC is lax on what is HQ and what is not.  The
package does not ALL have to be included to be termed HQ.  Plus, the phrase
HQ has not yet shown up on any front panel that I have seen.  Talk about
market confusion....
FLAME OFF.

--Kne

In article <485@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:

>JVC has never supported recording in the LP mode.  But they do play it back.
>So, your deck has the SP and SLP/EP speeds for recording and the SP, LP and
>SLP/EP speeds for playing back.  I have been through 3 JVC decks (currently
>have one of them) and they all play back LP, but do none of the special
>effects in that speed.

FLAME ON
Funny thing about that -- MOST machines support special effect only in
the slowest speed as if EVERYBODY records at slowest speed.  I, and a hand-
full of my friends are quality freaks.  If it is worth seeing, it is worth
seeing well.  We find that we have to buy the most expensive decks available
just to be beta-scan (or equivalent in VHS) at the high speed.  JVC does not
support this on any deck!  Amazing!  What does it take to give special effects
at a particular speed?  Does it really cost a lot extra?
FLAME OFF

I don't know if NTSC is the best television in the world (-:), but I do
know that mom and pop have a lot of fecal contaminants on their 6-hour
tapes recorded on no-name stock.

--Kne

brown@nicmad.UUCP (12/28/85)

In article <596@ttidcb.UUCP> speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) writes:
>In article <485@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>>
>>JVC has never supported recording in the LP mode.  But they do play it back.
>>So, your deck has the SP and SLP/EP speeds for recording and the SP, LP and
>>SLP/EP speeds for playing back.  I have been through 3 JVC decks (currently
>>have one of them) and they all play back LP, but do none of the special
>>effects in that speed.
>
>FLAME ON
>Funny thing about that -- MOST machines support special effect only in
>the slowest speed as if EVERYBODY records at slowest speed.  I, and a hand-
>full of my friends are quality freaks.  If it is worth seeing, it is worth
>seeing well.  We find that we have to buy the most expensive decks available
>just to be beta-scan (or equivalent in VHS) at the high speed.  JVC does not
>support this on any deck!  Amazing!  What does it take to give special effects
>at a particular speed?  Does it really cost a lot extra?
>FLAME OFF

Time for my FLAME ON!!!!

I have some news for you.  All three of the JVC decks that I have had and
still do have one of them, supports special effects at the SP and EP speeds.
I didn't know that JVC DIDN'T support special effects at the SP speed.
I too like quality, which is why I record at the highest speed (SP).  The
machine that I have (HRD-725U) has special effects in the sp and EP speeds.
The other machines that I had, the HR7650U and HR2650U, both supported
special effects and the SP and EP speeds.  I don't know what JVC machines
that you saw, but they obviously weren't the ones mentioned here.  True,
the decks that I bought were not the bottom of the line.  All three are
Dolby stereo and the last (HRD-725U), is HI-FI stereo as well.  Not cheap.
But, to make a statement that JVC doesn't support special effects on any
deck, is wrong.

My FLAME is now OFF.
--

speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) (12/30/85)

In article <486@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <596@ttidcb.UUCP> speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) writes:
>>In article <485@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>>>
>>>JVC has never supported recording in the LP mode.  But they do play it back.
>>>                  and they all play back LP, but do none of the special
>>>effects in that speed.
>>
>>FLAME ON
>>Funny thing about that -- MOST machines support special effect only in
>>the slowest speed as if EVERYBODY records at slowest speed.  I, and a hand-
>>full of my friends are quality freaks.  If it is worth seeing, it is worth
>>seeing well.  We find that we have to buy the most expensive decks available
>>just to be beta-scan (or equivalent in VHS) at the high speed.  JVC does not
>>support this on any deck!  Amazing!
>>FLAME OFF
>
>Time for my FLAME ON!!!!
>
>I have some news for you.  All three of the JVC decks that I have had and
>still do have one of them, supports special effects at the SP and EP speeds.
>
>My FLAME is now OFF.

I overstated "on any machine".  However, you mentioned in your posting that
special effects were not supported, then flame that they are.  Which is in
error?

What I was referring to in particular was the ability to high-speed scan
with the picture "clear", not rolling on the screen, at SP.  In the beta
world this is called beta-scan.  I don't know what VHS calls it.  On the
JVC 566 (give or take some letters), the picture is clear at EP but not SP.
On various other JVC's I have seen, the same holds true.  In fact, on most
VCR's, I find that this (particular) special effect is reserved for one
speed only, and that is the slowest speed.  (Yes, still frame, frame advance,
various slow motions, etc. were supported at all speeds, if any speeds were
supported.)

The specific question is, what does it take to synchronize the tape to allow
"clear" high speed visible scan rather than rolling jumble.  It is really a
lot?  I DON'T KNOW.  THIS IS A QUESTION, NOT AN ACUSATION.

--Kne  (Never forget errors induced by differences in perspective...a
        crowded elevator smells different to a midget.)

brown@nicmad.UUCP (01/01/86)

In article <600@ttidcb.UUCP> speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) writes:
>In article <486@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>>In article <596@ttidcb.UUCP> speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) writes:
>>>In article <485@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:

[all kinds of talk about scanning at SP speed (VHS) on JVC decks.]

Sorry to hear that your machine rolls the TV picture when fast scanning.
On my JVC deck fast scanning is called Shuttle Search.  The HRD-725U has
better picture when SP search is used, both forward and reverse.  This
deck uses a special technique of switching the 4 video heads so that the
strongest signal is switched through to the tv.  It has the effect of
displaying the SP then EP then other SP then other EP head.  In the EP
mode, only the EP heads are used, which causes more noise at the head
switchover points.

After reading your point about your TV rolling, a thought came to mind,
ie, does your TV have a vertical hold control?  If not, that may be where
some of the problem lies.  I have noticed on tvs that do not have the
vertical hold, they tend to lose vertical sync when a video deck is
scanned.  A deck that I had worked fine on my TV (w/ hold) and rolled
on a Zenith tv, which doesn't have vertical hold.  Since fast scanning
does cause some change in the vertical rate, some tvs lose vertical sync.

So, picture rolling, when in fast scan mode, is normally caused by the
tv, not the video deck.  I suggest trying your deck on a friend's tv
that does have vertical hold.  As a little side note, I can set my tv's
vertical hold so that it is ok on normal picture, but will roll when
fast scan is used.  Adjusting the hold again takes care of the problem.

I am interested in reading what you find out.
--

speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) (01/03/86)

In article <491@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <600@ttidcb.UUCP> speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) writes:
>
>[all kinds of talk about scanning at SP speed (VHS) on JVC decks.]
>
>Sorry to hear that your machine rolls the TV picture when fast scanning.
>After reading your point about your TV rolling, a thought came to mind,
>ie, does your TV have a vertical hold control?  If not, that may be where
>some of the problem lies.  I have noticed on tvs that do not have the
>vertical hold, they tend to lose vertical sync when a video deck is
>scanned.  A deck that I had worked fine on my TV (w/ hold) and rolled
>on a Zenith tv, which doesn't have vertical hold.  Since fast scanning
>does cause some change in the vertical rate, some tvs lose vertical sync.

It isn't this.  At EP speed everything works as expected.  I have noticed
that on most non-top-of-the-line decks (beta and VHS) you get rocksteady
shuttle-scan/beta-scan at only one speed, like it is too difficult to
synchronize the tape speed/head switching to switch properly.  Rather, just
run the tape at some speed and switch the heads when they loose contact
with the tape.  If the tape is not running at some integral multiple of
frames (or fields maybe), the heads switch at some random location in a
field and the picture rolls up/down/left/right/pincushion distortion/
barrel distortion, and all sorts of mean nasty stuff.  It would "only"
require, I think, controlling the tape speed to be a stable multiple of
normal.  (Decks with knowledge:  Sony 900, NEC 739E (stable at both speeds)
Sony 400, Sanyo 7250, JVC 566 (stable only at low speed).

Oh well, I think this topic is now talked to death...

--Kne

brown@nicmad.UUCP (01/06/86)

In article <607@ttidcb.UUCP> speaker@ttidcb.UUCP (Kenneth Speaker) writes:
>In article <491@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
[all kinds of talk about scanning at SP speed (VHS) on JVC decks.]

Sorry that vertical hold wasn't it.  You came up with the perfect answer.
Get a top-of-the-line video deck.

>Oh well, I think this topic is now talked to death...

Agreed.  End of discussion.
--

dbj@rice.EDU (Dave Johnson) (01/06/86)

> >	"Has anyone heard when the new "Super VHS" is supposed to come
> >	out? I really want to get a new vcr but am holding out for the
> >	improved format."
> >
> >It's called "HQ VHS" and is available now in the JVC models HR-D566U
> >and HR-D565U.  Both models are HiFi; the former has an MTS decoder in
> >the tuner.
>
> It's also available in the JVC HR-D151U...

There are also at least three other new models of VHS VCR that incorporate
the HQ circuitry that you might be interested in.  I just got a NEC
961 that has HQ and am so far very happy with it.  I've only had it less
than a week though.  Cannon and Yamaha both make HQ models, too, but I
don't have the model numbers with me right now.
--
					Dave Johnson
					Dept. of Computer Science

UUCP: {lbl-csam,cbosgd,shell,convex,sun,texsun}!rice!dbj
ARPA: dbj@rice.EDU, dbj@rice.ARPA

imd@ihlpl.UUCP (Ira M. Dworkin ) (01/09/86)

In article <145@dione.rice.EDU> dbj@rice.EDU (Dave Johnson) writes:
>> >	"Has anyone heard when the new "Super VHS" is supposed to come
>> >	out? I really want to get a new vcr but am holding out for the
>> >	improved format."
>> >
>> >It's called "HQ VHS" and is available now in the JVC models HR-D566U
>> >and HR-D565U.  Both models are HiFi; the former has an MTS decoder in
>> >the tuner.
>>
>> It's also available in the JVC HR-D151U...

Zenith (made by JVC) also has one...the model 4100 (or 4200).

dbj@rice.EDU (Dave Johnson) (01/12/86)

In article <498@ihlpl.UUCP>, imd@ihlpl.UUCP (Ira M. Dworkin ) writes:

> >> It's also available in the JVC HR-D151U...
> >
> Zenith (made by JVC) also has one...the model 4100 (or 4200).

When I submitted my message a while back about the NEC, Yamaha and Canon
VHS HQ models, I didn't have the model numbers for the Yamaha and Canon
ones in front of me so I only mentioned the NEC model number (the 961).
Well, now that I'm thinking of it again and have the information with me,
I'll give you those other two model numbers.  The Yamaha YV-1000 and the
Canon VR-HF600 both have HQ.  The Yamaha has built-in MTS stereo, but the
Canon requires an outboard MTS decoder (Canon makes one, the MS-10).